Clean eating

Options
solocash
solocash Posts: 13 Member
I would love to learn to choose more better healthy snacks and food that taste good

Replies

• amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is the place! There are some great ideas on here and also wonderful advice!
  • SEY58
    SEY58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I need to know what clean eating is and where you find the choices to eat..advice or point me in direction?
  • klankton76
    klankton76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, it's more fresh foods in cooking, less (or no) processed foods. I use fresh veggies in my cooking. Fresh fruits and veggies for snacks. Nuts, or dried fruits for snacking. The choices are pretty much unlimited. Use your imagination. Don't buy a taco kit when when you can season with regular spices (and less sodium) from your own cabinet or garden, buy tomatoes and other things you want to make your own salsa.

I could be wrong or this could be incomplete, but that's my understanding of it. And to be honest since my husband hunts and fishes, we already do quite a bit of this.

64902234.png
  • klankton76
    klankton76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here is one of the recipes I use. It's not completely clean, but it's close with lots of veggies. For the canned tomatoes I try to get organic with less preservatives.

Chicken Veggie Soup
    A bastardized version of Copycat Olive Garden Minestrone Soup

CATEGORIES soup, chicken, veggies, sick food, cold day

INGREDIENTS
    3 tblsp olive oil
    1 cup diced white onion (about 1 small onion)
    2 zucchini, cut into chunks
    1 bag frozen green beans
    1/4 cup minced celery
    4 cloves garlic minced
    8 cups vegetable stock
    2 veggie bouillon cubes (I use better than bouillon)
    2 14 ounce cans of diced tomatoes
    1/2 cup carrot (julienne or shredded)
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    4 cups baby spinach
    1 rotisserie chicken shredded
    mushrooms

INSTRUCTIONS
    Prep chicken and all veggies and spices before starting.
    Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot.
    Saute onion, celery, garlic, green beans and zucchini in the oil for 5 minutes or until onions begin to turn translucent.
    Add broth and bouillon to pot, plus drained tomatoes, carrot and spices.
    Bring soup to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
    Add spinach leaves, mushrooms, and chicken and cook for another 20 minutes or until desired consistency.

NOTES
    Do NOT use chicken broth.
    I didn't really measure anything especially spices. Lots of garlic, and as much of the spices till I'm happy with the flavor.

You don't have to use a rotisserie chicken. I have baked a chicken and used that as well. But when you're shorter on time, it's easier to grab and already cooked chicken.

64902234.png
  • SEY58
    SEY58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    thanks
  • martabeerich
    martabeerich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I hot kump started with Clean Eating magazine. Good ideas and recipes. Since I've gone pescatarian, though, the recipes are less pertinent to me. But a good place for beginners.
  • cresentmoongirl67
    cresentmoongirl67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have recently just started putting a list of veggies together that I enjoy eating and not allergic to. Now I just look for simple recipes to cook them in. I also try to stick to few ingredients and found online there are many 3-5 ingredient recipes. Hardest part for me is not eating bread since I love sandwiches and find it easy just to fix a sandwich rather than cook. So, I have started trying to use lettuce for sandwich bread and cucumbers hulled out for stuff like tuna or chicken or hummus salad. Started slow but working up speed. Hope this helps and just take 1 step at a time. Its easy for me to get overwhelmed so I had to come up with better ideas to start out. :smile: