Late night eating

Options
LolaDeeDaisy23
LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
I work retail which means I have an inconsistent schedule. Sometimes I have to get up at 6am, other times I get home from work at 5am. I've noticed when I work late, I get soo hungry by the time I get home. I'm tired but I'm more hungry than tired and will usually eat something, which makes me go over my calories.
When you get late night hunger pangs and you've met your calorie goal for the day, what do you do? Ignore it or give in?

Replies

• WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If I was hungry I would have a snack regardless of the time. I absolutely can't sleep hungry.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Eat! If you are calorie counting, count it for the following "day." It's after midnight, right?
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Last night I got up and had a cup of strawberries and cream. (10pm) (Dinner was early at 4:30pm) That hit the spot and I fell fast asleep, otherwise I probably would have kept tossing and turning. This morning I skipped breakfast because I just wasn't hungry. I Lasted until lunch where I had a decent meal. I will prolong dinner until 7:30pm tonight. So I will be back in rhythm.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My PCP used to tell me that if it is more than three bites, it's not a snack. So three crackers, with three pieces real meat and three slices cheese, kind of like a homemade lunchable... That was pre-low carb, but that was her suggestion. Now I'd do pepperoni, salami, or ham smeared with cream cheese or sliced cheese and wrapped around a pickle spear - three of them (or four if you're cutting a whole pickle in quarters. Anything more than that is a meal (though for me, sometimes this IS a meal, too!!)...

What are some examples of your "late snack" type foods? I've been known to do 1-2 oz of heavy cream just to put something just fatty and sating on my stomach. I generally can come up with just about anything as ideas... Barely sweetened fat bombs are easy portions... I dunno what else...
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue, shift working is a pain in the rear! tonight i am just about to have an oxo cube, in the hope it stops the grumbling!
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Usually my late night "snack" is a full on meal!! I crave eggs and bacon and butter. Easily 500+ calories when I eat late at night.

@slimzandra I haven't had strawberries since starting keto. I'm afraid of fruits actually lol do you feel you get carb cravings with fruit?

@DorkothyParker I've been doing that lol but I still manage to go over. For example, I eat bacon, eggs, and pork rinds at 1am. I log it for the following day, go to sleep, I still go over because even though I skip breakfast and lunch, I eat dinner. And dinner combined with my late night meal puts me over again. It's a horrible cycle actually.
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I had 2 boiled eggs and 2 cream cheese packets as a late night snack last night. Before this WOE I would have had several protein/breakfast bars along with some cheerios and milk and still wouldn't have felt as satisfied.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Eating within 3 hours of bedtime is generally bad idea. You want to be burning fat while you sleep, instead
    of storing it. ;)
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 - No I don't get carb cravings with berries and cream. However, I do treat it like a candy treat. Small amounts and I only eat strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and avocado. (yup, it's a fruit). I now avoid other fruits for the reasons you mentioned. (sugars too high) Some folks also mention dark chocolate. That seems to mess with my craving barometer more than the berries.
  • kaeporaketo
    kaeporaketo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually stock my fridge with snacks or do a meal prep day so I always have food readily available and my food is already planned out for me. Lately if I get a sweet craving I will have some heavy whipped cream (Kroger brand) and put it in a bowl with some peanut butter. Sometimes I will have a piece of block cheese too.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    @kaeporaketo I have yet to make homemade whipped cream even though I always have heavy cream on hand lol shame on me! Pb and whipped cream sounds heavenly! I will try that thank you.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I get crazy cravings with berries. Like as bad as with a candy bar. They are super rare indulgences for me.

That being said, if you're legitimately hungry, eat. Do you find that other days you are less hungry? Because generally, deficits should be looked at on a 7-10 day basis, as some days you're just hungrier and more active, and other days you're just not...NATURALLY.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    When I'm hungry, I eat.
  • lowjax75
    lowjax75 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I eat when hungry. I may lose slower, but itkeeps me from getting really hungry and falling face first into stuff I shouldn't eat.