Team 9

Options

Replies

• vazquezmom7
    vazquezmom7 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Hola to all!! I am having a hard time with the stair climbing. I don't have access to stairs. But yesterday we went tothe movies and I took about 15 min. going up and down the stairs. Did it about 10 times. 70 more to go. :(

I went driving around town to see if I could find some and nope, nothing. I need something public and outside so I could take the little ones. I live in a small (and flat) town.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @vazquezmom7 ... good for you for trying the staris thing ... I won't do it myself. There is a reason live in a house with no steps or stairs, no attic, no basement ... walkers don't do well on them! Does a local nearby school have stairs? Are all your malls one story?

However, to everyone who can use stairs, good luck. 82 flights is an awful lot of stairs to climb up ... and coming down is not really any easier on your joints! ... When I do not have my walker, but am using a cane, there is a little mantre I say in my head to keep the worst knee from getting injured ... 'up with the good, down with the bad' and it reminds me with which leg I should step up or down first and let the other follow. :)
  • vazquezmom7
    Options
    @Nikion901 all schools are flat from the outside, the high school has stairs in the inside. My nearest mall is a 30 min. drive.

I thought I had seen a building with stairs somewhere in town, but I can't remember where. I drove around this morning looking for it but couldn't find it. BUT I will keep trying since our team needs the points.
  • laurab384
    laurab384 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    @vazquezmom7 good job with finding stairs! too bad you can't just go to the movies everyday! :p
    We have a lot of hills here so finding stairs is not a problem. I went up a big flight on my run yesterday, 84 total (7 flights), I did it twice so that really helped my stair count!

I turned on the stair counter on my fitbit but I'm not sure it's working properly, it said I went up 9 flights around 5pm yesterday. I was cooking dinner in my kitchen, no stairs there! So I'm going to try to remember to keep count during the day.
  • sukkara
    sukkara Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 @laurab384 Thank you. I'm much better now :)

This week's challenge is interesting and exciting!

@vazquezmom7 I couldn't think of a single place that is outdoors and has stairs, good luck with it!
  • sukkara
    Options
    [quote="laurab384"
    We seem to be down to 11 team members this week. And with over 6642 miles to go that's 604 minutes each! I know we'll have to dig deep to reach that goal but I believe in us! Remember activity doesn't just have to be a killer sweat session. A 15 minute walk at lunch or 30 minutes of yoga after dinner all count. Let's all try to fit a few more activity minutes in wherever we can! :D:D [/quote]

600! That's not easy.
    Could I count the minutes of a challenge as activity minutes too? E.g., the 20 minutes of belly dancing?
  • Nikion901
    edited March 2016
    Options
    sukkara wrote: »
    [
    600! That's not easy.
    Could I count the minutes of a challenge as activity minutes too? E.g., the 20 minutes of belly dancing?

Yes ... that was spelled out way back in week one when we were reminded to use the physical activity challenges as part of our activity minutes. Climbing 82 flights of stairs will certainly take up many, many minutes if you can do it.

Here's a quote from week 1 ticket .... when it was the squat and arm challenge ... I take it to mean all physical challenges going forward would be counted into the activity time.
    "I will take whatever how you meausre by your fitbit active minutes or actual exercise. Dont forget to count your squat challenges and the new arm challenge I will be posting this week.."

Glad you are feeling better! Enjoy the belly dancing!
  • laurab384
    Options
    Yes the activity challenges count toward your minutes so be sure to include those when you add to the spreadsheet!
  • laurab384
    Options
    Well it is a miserable day here, pouring rain. I think I'll try to find an Egyptian soup recipe to make for dinner.

Has anyone tried any new or interesting Egyptian foods this week? If my soup is good I'll share the recipe!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I go grocery shopping on rainy days cause I can get my walk in by walking all over the very large store, and i get to push a big and heavy cart instead of my walker ... and I get to flex my muscles from lifting the bags out of the cart and into the car trunk, then out of the car trunk onto the garage floor, then from there to the front door, then into the front hall, then into the kitchen and finally to put everything away ... By the time I am done, I've done a lot of exercise!

Yes ... I have been eating Egyptian food this week, and have played around with using more spices that are not commonly used in Western cooking. Even bought some eggplants to day to make my favorit Baba Ganoush and will make my own Eqyptan flat breads to eat it with over the weekend!

Yesterday it was a rice stuffing dish for tomatoes. A couple of days ago it was a falafel wrap with tahini salad and pickles.

Hope you enjoy the soup ... I have yellow and red lentils on hand to make one of the Eqptian style lentil soups.
  • sukkara
    Options
    Thanks Laurab384 and Nikion 901.
  • sukkara
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @laurab384, I think I'm a bit late in my reply, but try Mouloukhia (can be a meal if you add chicken or as traditionally made in egypt, with rabbits!!), or as Nikion901mentioned lentlils' soup. I'll post the recipe if you wish.

Personally, I've eaten the following:
    Bamia (Okra stew), Kushari (rice, pasta, brown lentils, tomato sauce, fried onions), and baba ganoush.
    Ah yes, and bites of basbousa, um ali (teeny bite!) and wara enab. (Didn't make myself, were presented in a buffet of a large event).

This was the list I made for myself as a quick reference. I've only added the foods that are practical (for me at least):
    Side dishes/breakfast: Foul (cooked fava beans with olive oil, yum!), hummus, Baba ganoush, fried (grilled) eggplants, falafel, shakshouka, wara enab (like dolma).
    Dishes: Mousakka (tomata sauce), bamia (okra), moloukhia, stuffed vegetables, kofta, kebab.
    Desserts: Roz be laban (rice pudding), mohallabia. (Do not even think of anything else o:)

There are many, many delicious foods. But I didn't include them in my list because they're so rich (or too difficult to make). Traditionally, Egyptians cook with a lot of lard, ghee and butter. The same goes with sweets too, where many have a sugary sauce, and frequently cream too, but are sooo tasty!
  • vazquezmom7
    Options
    @laurab384 did you do the soup? I still have to attempt to make anything Egyptian.

I am so sore. I have increased my workouts in an attempt to make the scale move. How is everyone doing? Team Butterflies has been very quiet this week.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @sukkara ... I would like your Egyptian Lentil soup recipe ... the one I was going to make is from Epicuris web site and I always much prefer recipes from cooks who are making the foods as I find I like the 'home cooked' taste of them better than printed recipes.
  • sukkara
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    @sukkara ... I would like your Egyptian Lentil soup recipe ... the one I was going to make is from Epicuris web site and I always much prefer recipes from cooks who are making the foods as I find I like the 'home cooked' taste of them better than printed recipes.

Sure, and I completely agree with you.

This recipe is for the less common lentil soup, it's yellow in colour, serves 4-6:
    In a pot add:
    1 cup red lentils
    1/4 cup short grained rice
    5 cups boiling water
    Cook until soft (30 min +/-)
    Blend with a cup of chicken stock, or a cup of water and a chicken bouillon cube. (Add more liquid if you want it thinner). Return to pot, add salt, 1/4 tsp ground pepper, 1 tsp cumin (I add more!), 1/4 tsp ground coriander and salt to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes.
    In a pan: heat 1 TBs oil, add 1 finely chopped (I grate it) medium onion until golden. Add to the soup, simmer for 5 minutes.
    Serve with croutons (or toasted pita squares), fresh parsley and slices of lemon.

The more famous soup (orange colour) has carrots, tomatoes, sometimes potatoes, and garlic, but no rice. The onion is added as in the above recipe, or is boiled with the lentils. In the end, fried vermicilli can be added.
    I think I might try to make it today.

Bon apetit
  • laurab384
    Options
    @vazquezmom7 I did make it, it was pretty good! It's not how I usually cook with red lentils so it was nice to try something different.

Here is the recipe:
    Ingredients
    2 tbsp butter
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 carrots, chopped
    3 celery ribs, chopped
    3 garlic cloves
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp ancho chile powder
    1 lbs tomatoes, seeded and diced (I used canned diced tomatoes)
    2 cups dry red lentils
    salt
    plain yogurt, lemon wedges and warm pita, for serving

1. In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, 5 min. Add the cumin, coriander and chile powder and cook until fragrant, 3 min. Add the tomatoes and cook just until softened, 2 min. Add the lentils and 8 cups of water and season with salt. Simmer over moderately low heat until the lentils are very soft, 30 min.
    2. Working in batches, puree the soup. Season with salt and serve with yogurt, lemon wedges and warm pita.
  • laurab384
    Options
    @sukkara both of those soups sound delicious! We may be having more soup this weekend!
  • laurab384
    Options
    Happy weekend everyone!

Please be sure to add your minutes/challenges to the spreadsheet. It looks like a lot of people are working hard to get the minutes in, that's great! Keep up the good work everyone!

The stair climbing challenge has really made me think about how many I use during the day. I'm still having some issues with my fitbit (I think it's confused my the elevation changes in my neighborhood) so I've been trying to keep a running tally in my head. I haven't tried the belly dancing videos yet so I'll have to check those out today.

:)
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Thanks @vazquezmom7 and @laurab384 for the soup recipes ... making it today.
  • laurab384
    Options
    Good morning team 9!
    Those belly dance videos were harder than I was expecting! I knew I'd have trouble with the coordination but I really felt it in my hips and core!

Today is the last day of our Egypt week! I'm going to make falafels for dinner. It's not a strictly Egyptian recipe but I figure it's close enough.

I'll post the recipe (I was going to put it in this post but it was getting really long!), it's from the Oh She Glows Cookbook which is a vegan cookbook of a blog (ohsheglows.com) that I would definitely recommend! The recipes are really good!