What trails have you hit lately? Anything notable?

Options
stang02
stang02 Posts: 75 Member
edited March 2016 in Social Groups
I love hiking/backpacking. I've been doing it for over 20+years and counting. I burn the most calories this way with the bonus of great scenery.

Any trails you want to share? What's the latest one you've hit so far?

As for me, I attended the Appalachian Trail Kick Off event in Amicalola Falls. I hiked part of the AT approach trail (and back) which includes 600 steps up the side of the falls. :) Fun fun! It was a great weekend of lectures, conference booths, and a plethora of Thru-Hikers getting ready to leave for Maine.

(this pic was taken partially up the falls, as you can see the size of the people and the stairs to the right and the left.... up up up!)

z8oawkmph8mn.jpg

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My last was in Nov. - Starting at the southern terminus of the Sheltowee Trace in TN. The plan was to go north about 81 miles and end in KY. Unfortunately, we had to cut our trip short so didn't get quite as far. Stopped about 14 miles south of the TN/KY border.

The next is going to be in MO - Mark Twain National Forest, Paddy Creek Wilderness Area - just for a weekend. Me and one other person are still trying to line up our schedules hoping to make it work in May or June.

At some point (2017 or 2018 hopefully), I want to go up to Glacier National Park and hike from Bowman Lake to Waterton Lakes National Park. The route would be to start at Bowman Lake, head NE and join with the PNT as it goes through Glacier National Park. Then head east through Brown's pass (over the great divide) towards Goat's Haunt. Turn north at Goat's Haunt and continue north until emerging at the Waterton Lakes reception centre in Canada. It's on my "bucket list." I figure to get to Bowman Lake trailhead requires a trip in July or August anyway, so if we go early August, there will be huckleberries to be eaten on the trail even. I just need to go before the glaciers all melt.
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a trekking trip in Peru. My husband and I did a lodge to lodge trek of the Salkantay trail with Mountain Lodges of Peru. Beautiful scenery and other than the elevation it wasn't too difficult. We did go over one 15,000+ foot pass and were between 11,000 and 13,000 for a few days. At the end we went to Machu Picchu which was lovely.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My May plans got changed because we are all too busy. The two of us are going to a state forest here in Iowa for the weekend instead. I'm thinking of taking the following week off and driving out west for a road trip. I'm thinking of Redwood and Yosemite in CA and then Zion in UT before returning home.

It kills me to go to only 3 places, because normally my road trips are closer to 20-30 stops over 7-10 days. Also, usually they include historical sites too, so the number of sites can increase. But I've never been to Redwood or Yosemite, and haven't hiked Angel's Landing in Zion. So I'm thinking it might be worthwhile. It's just a lot for only 3 days of hiking. :(
  • kasaz
    kasaz Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I took two friends and did some hiking in the Grand Canyon. We went down the South Kaibab trail and stayed at Bright Angel campground. The next day we hiked to Cottonwood campground for two nights and day hiked to the North Rim on the second day. Day four we hiked thru the bottom and back up the Bright Angel Trail to Indian Gardens and spent the night. After setting up camp we hiked out to Plateau Point. On day five we hiked out to the South Rim. A storm front came through and we got just a bit of rain one night, but the main thing is that it brought cooler temps which made the hiking much easier.