Account Settings While Pregnant

Options
How did you ladies set up your accounts? I just entered my current weight and set everything to "maintain current weight". This is allowing me 1900 calories a day.

Also, is anyone thinking about breastfeeding? Wondering how we should adjust calories for that. I've got about 3.5 months to go, so I have a little time, but want to start planning.

After the baby, about how much weight do you want to lose? If I gain another 10 pounds during this pregnancy, I will have 40 to lose to get to my goal weight after giving birth.

Replies

• honeynutloop
    honeynutloop Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The official guidance is that breastfeeding burns an extra 500cals per day. Which is great but you have to eat plenty too - i didn't the first time round and wasn't producing enough milk because of it (my theory). As far as account settings - i changed mine to maintenance but then stopped logging pretty quickly. My basic plan is to start mfp again jan 2017 (due july 16) and just do what feels good until then.
  • ChrissyLee2014
    ChrissyLee2014 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I set mine to maintenance as well. It's allowing me 1700 calories a day, but can't say that I typically eat that much before being pregnant. I have strict orders not to gain any weight while pregnant. I'm trying to remember to log, but honestly, I get too busy and sidetracked easily. I'm trying to make sure I get enough protein, which as been my challenge. Logging helps with that.
  • _cassie623
    _cassie623 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I set mine to maintenance as well, and it has me at 1840 calories. I just joined today though, so I'm not sure if I will eat all of that or what.

As far as afterwards, I hope to lose whatever I gain during this pregnancy (I'm currently 3 lbs under my starting pregnancy weight - so have yet to gain), plus an additional 15 lbs or so.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I set my own calorie and macro goals in custom settings so that I eat about 2200 calories a day in the second trimester. I plan on increasing that by about 100 calories in the third. I don't do enough exercise to warrant eating any more than that. If I'm gaining weight too quickly under those parameters, I just slightly reduce my calorie goal.

I plan on breastfeeding as well, just like I did with my other two children. After the first eight weeks postpartum, when my body has healed and my milk supply has established itself, I plan on setting my calorie intake to about 2200 again. The last time I breastfed was the first time I got onto MFP, and I was only giving myself 1800-1900 calories. I lost weight at a furious pace, which I didn't really want to do because I didn't want to endanger my milk supply. My baby boy ended up growing and developing just fine, but I'd still rather lose weight more slowly than try to lose it quickly and potentially put my child in danger.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    How did you ladies set up your accounts? I just entered my current weight and set everything to "maintain current weight". This is allowing me 1900 calories a day.

That's exactly what I did and I also got 1900 cals - we must be the same height.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I set mine to maintenance as well. It's allowing me 1700 calories a day, but can't say that I typically eat that much before being pregnant. I have strict orders not to gain any weight while pregnant. I'm trying to remember to log, but honestly, I get too busy and sidetracked easily. I'm trying to make sure I get enough protein, which as been my challenge. Logging helps with that.

How in the world do you not gain any weight while pregnant? I'd love to know.
  • 5n0wbal1
    5n0wbal1 Posts: 429 Member
    Options

How in the world do you not gain any weight while pregnant? I'd love to know.

I thought the same with my first two pregnancies (I've never been under any special caloric restrictions during pregnancy), but with this one, I've really had a hard time gaining weight! I had a hard time eating during the first trimester this time around, and it seems like my stomach shrank or something during that time, because even though I'm 17w3d, I'm still keep losing weight!

For me, I think part of it is because I have a 4yo and 3yo I'm having to keep up with. Sometimes I forget meals because I get so busy with the two of them. I just wish I could figure out why I can't lose weight when I want, but can't keep it on me when I want to gain weight! Paradox of my life.
  • Lunasash
    Lunasash Posts: 32 Member
    Options

ChrissyLee, I am in the same boat. I was told to gain a maximum of 10 lbs. during this pregnancy due to other health risks. I get side tracked too and find my self going back to track sometimes 2 days later.
  • AMSchreiner
    AMSchreiner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What kind of macros do y'all set?
    Mine is currently 25carbs/50protein/25fats

I set mine to maintenance too ... 2nd tri I'll add 250 calories, third I'll add 300, BFing I'll add 500.

This is my third and the lowest weight I've ever started a pregnancy! Apparently I used this app in 2010 and was 173 lbs ... last year I started 21 day fix at 191 ... now I'm 155 and 5 weeks pregnant
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You can override the calorie goal it suggests. I inputted my own calorie goal (1850) based on where I am at in my pregnancy (2nd trimester), what I know about my nutritional needs (including that I'm supposed to limit weight gain to 7-11kgs) -- might be worthwhile to talk to your doctor or nutritionist about what is appropriate for you.