Do you ever eat beans?

Options
2»

Replies

• olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    What about developing a recipe for a low-carb bean burger? Perhaps you could replace half the beans with turnip or zuchinni, or even cauliflower. Maybe you could each make your own version of the burger, and then have a taste test.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    What about developing a recipe for a low-carb bean burger? Perhaps you could replace half the beans with turnip or zuchinni, or even cauliflower. Maybe you could each make your own version of the burger, and then have a taste test.

That's a really good idea if you want to be really strict with your diet and still engage with your daughter. Diced up portobello mushrooms are another great low carb veggie to throw into the mix too. And if you want to use an alternative binder to the heavy dose of beans, you can add in a very small amount of almond flour instead.

As a diabetic, I totally understand your desire to be really strict with yourself. I'm very sensitive to carbs and I really struggle to get my blood sugar under control after I eat too many carbs, so I avoid it at all costs. Though as a daughter, it would hurt my feelings if my dad wouldn't at least have one bite so he could taste the dish I prepared. But me and my dad both struggled with weight when he was alive (we did Nutrisystem together when I was 13), so I would have understood if he didn't eat the whole thing.
  • motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well, she hates all of those veggies..... except she never had a turnip. She does eat a lot of veggies, but she likes hers raw, never cooked. And, I did say I would have a bite.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Until I went keto last year, canned beans were a major food. Now I only eat small amounts of hummus. This week I've been having very small amounts of ful/fava beans like 2 tablespoons- I get some minor gas issues.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »
    This would be an easier choice if I was more established in LCHF. I am only 2 months in.

You and I are at about the same point. I have beans occasionally. I prefer mine refried and dredged in cheese, but a bean is a bean! :smile: I have little issue if I stick with my macros, which that burger just might.

Instead of just taking one bite, how about asking her to make your burger patty half-thick? That would let you eat the whole thing, without eating the WHOLE thing.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    motown13 wrote: »

But basically what I know for a fact about a keto diet is, "If you don't have carbs to burn, then the body will start using fat as its energy source."

But LCHF aside, I have fears with my diabetes. I was truly in a bad place a few months ago, and things are definitely much improved since switching to LCHF..... I don't want anything to disturb the process that seems to be working very well, overall.

A ketogenic diet and low carbs are not synonymous - and it is low carb, not the state of ketosis that controls your blood glucose. (Although I have run across one person who would rather test for ketones than blood sugar because it involves less pain. Again - that is a testing preference, not a control preference.)

There is nothing wrong with eating a ketogenic diet for diabetes control - but I agree that some of your questions seem to suggest that you are under the impression that whether you are in or out of ketosis is what will make the difference. Whatever decision you make, basing it on accurate information is a good thing!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've eaten them a couple of times in small amounts. They didn't seem to have a negative effect. Now that I'm experimenting w/increasing my carb range in maintenance, I will try out adding them at times.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I eat beans, mostly edamame or other cooked soy beans, natto, etc., but I am not doing keto -- more like around 80 gr carbs on average per day. You could also plan to take a walk or workout after dinner -- burn those carbs off quick and they won't affect you for as long.
  • olivebeanhealthy
    olivebeanhealthy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    How about asking her to make you a mini one-bite burger? ;)

If you made your own low-carb burgers, she could taste them and either dig them or not - and you could still taste a bite of her regular burger, *and* you may discover a delicious new recipe to add to your faves. It may even inspire something... you could be the next rising Keto cook of the interweb, publishing low carb burger e-books for all!
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I do but in a much more limited quantity. For example, I make chili with only half a can instead of the whole can. I order the burrito in a bowl but only eat about 1/4 cup. I love beans and didn't eat them for the first 5 months of the diet but have slowly worked them back in so that I can have them once or twice a week.
  • shelleysykeskeene
    shelleysykeskeene Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Oh no! I eat a lot of green beans I had no idea! What about lentils? Sorry I have just started and really need a dummy crash course!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    @shelleysykeskeene the best way to know if a food will fit within your macros is to plan your meals the day before and input your ingredients into MFP. If you view the info on a desktop computer, instead of your mobile phone, it's really easy to see where your carbs, protein and fats are coming from.

Green beans are quite low in carbs, I stay under 20 carb grams a day and had them with my dinner a couple days ago. Personally, I don't include dried beans or lentils in my diet right now because I keep my carbs super low to control my diabetes while I'm losing enough weight to able to exercise enough to balance the effect of carbs. But depending on your goals, if your macros are different from mine, beans may fit in. Again, that pre-planning will give you a good picture of where you may need to make adjustments to your food choices in order to meet your personal goals.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments but I had a bowl of taco soup with beans (very small bowl) and i didn't loose for 3+ weeks after that! I know you want to be there for ur daughter but being healthy and being there for her many years is more important. I wouldn't even take a bite!!! That is the one thing in my last 6 months I wish I hadn't done all the other slow downs from slight indulgents didn't take 1/2 the time to come back from as those darn beans did!
  • leighn62
    leighn62 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I eat beans if they fit into my carbs. I try and stay under about 35 gm net carbs. My husband can't imagine chili without beans so I just put in half of what I used to. I love beans and I really think they are healthy but too many on a low carb diet are unhelpful. If I know I'm having beans I just limit my carbs for the day so I can fit them in.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments but I had a bowl of taco soup with beans (very small bowl) and i didn't loose for 3+ weeks after that! I know you want to be there for ur daughter but being healthy and being there for her many years is more important. I wouldn't even take a bite!!! That is the one thing in my last 6 months I wish I hadn't done all the other slow downs from slight indulgents didn't take 1/2 the time to come back from as those darn beans did!

@ettaterrell - have to say, IMHO, you are correct and I agree, being with daughter and being healthy is the best way he has of showing her his support.

"Also, in 2007, I had a 6 artery bypass. Even today, fat still scares me."

Any recovery is difficult, a recovery after 6 artery bypass means you have the motivation you need to stay within low carb everyday for now. On day 31 you are taking your daughter out to dinner, so that is showing excellent support. The triglycerides concern me also, you must be commended with going forward with LCHF even with that knowledge about the dangers of "fat".

Perhaps 6 years ago, Pre LCHF, at each Dr visit, my unhealthy choloresterol was climbing, finally I was told that one more increase would result in medication, so I backed off from eating excessive amounts of ice cream-and what a miracle- the number dropped to an acceptable "190" without medication.

B4 beginning this WOE, all blood/lipid test results were fine; even my omegas were great without ever eating salmon or fish. Like you I'm a bit more than two months in.

Really think you,considering your past, your medical history, must do what is best for your health; that is a loving message you would be sending. One bite, acceptable- - - GL , looking forward to reading your decision & how things worked out.

• motown13
    motown13 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    OK, that meal was last night.... Basically it was ground chickpeas with tons of herbs ground into them. She made a garlic / herb / yogurt / dill sauce, She also had spring greens on the table and some type of slaw.... I hate slaw, so I had none of that.

I put the burger on the bun with the sauce ( about 2 - 3 TBS ) lots of greens and 2 slices of tomato. I took one bight with the bun.... I was highly unimpressed, but I told her I liked it...... HOWEVER, I took it off the bun, and continued to eat it, and it really grew on me.

Honestly, if she had made more burgers, I likely would have eaten another.

It wasn't that the bun made it bad. It was just that it took a few bites to get used to the flavors, as it wasn't a flavor profile like any I had eaten before.