Keto and Thyroid issues

reblazed
reblazed Posts: 255 Member
Has anyone experienced a change in thyroid levels with this woe? Had my lab work done on Monday and after not quite 4 months of being in NK all of a sudden the doc thinks we need to adjust (down) my thyroid meds that I've been on for years. I was reluctant to do that right now since she had just told me I didn't need the metformin anymore (YEAH!) and thought one change at a time was better. We're waiting until my next appt in 3 months. But don't remember anyone mentioning this woe and thyroid levels before.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Funny you should mention this. Please see this other thread posted today:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10363236/low-carb-and-iodine#latest
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    edited April 2016
    Won't have my levels tested for a few more months. It seems odd because the thyroid rarely repair themselves, but who knows? If love to be off the thyroid med.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Interesting, about 1 month in I had blood work done and was told I highly levels of "hyperthyroidism". We waited 3 months and retested and levels were normal. Now wondering if just change in diet could have caused the initial test to be high and maybe by 4 months in it got adjusted? I know nothing hardly if thyroid issues.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    I had to bump my medication UP, not down, but I've got a 6 month appointment this month. But yes, dietary intake can affect thyroid levels as long as it's not a preexisting type condition (genetic or physical, rather than inflicted on your body by dietary intake, etc.