I have lost sight of everything. How do you cope?

Options
wishfullthinking79
wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
Some where somehow I have completely ended up in left field. I have lost all sense of control. Really I have. I actually at a hash brown patty and drank a soda. This is not the first time I have just totally blew it either. I am having those self defeating thoughts constantly. Don't get me wrong I still eat remotely well, but the poor decisions are happening more frequently. I told my boyfriend today that I had been eating like crap too much. He responded with "and your still losing weight" which is true. BUT I feel terrible more often. Oh and guilt ridden.

I really have so much going on with school, graduation and interviewing more a master internship and the worst not getting along with my son's father. I am already in therapy but I am still not coping well.

*I just ate like 2.5 to 3 oz of almonds in one sitting.*sigh*

Replies

• wishfullthinking79
    Options
    @KeithF6250 Totally fitting if I could just get back up. Thanks for that. :D
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've done this a couple of times since going LCHF and on January 3 of this year I recommitted and went full Keto. I felt like crap and just made the decision. Not the same decision I have made in the past - I made a DECISION. So for 60 days I had a list of daily goals and I am really happy to have stuck to it. The 60 days lifted and the only changes I have made are more calories (I'm at goal) and wine. I'm about to do another challenge so I will decide on new goals - and absolutely stick to them. I got tired of flaking on myself.

I also have a list of foods I will not go near, as they are just my kryptonite. I listen to various podcasts on health and fitness and food, as well as read books that support my way of eating. And my BFF eats like I do and she just hit the 101 lbs lost mark!

Forgive yourself. Then make the DECISION.
  • erinseattle
    erinseattle Posts: 105 Member
    Options

This book also helped me quite a bit....
    gmxeazvzlnqc.jpeg
  • wishfullthinking79
    Options
    @erinseattle yeah I did so good in the beginning then I started messing up. Now it is full blown out of control. Started with constantly indulging in easter candy and now it is those dang reeses. I wish I had someone to do this with. I know it shouldn't matter but it is always nice to have someone who is working it with you.

If I didn't have this forum to lean on I would be completely lost. As soon as I am ready to throw in the towel I reach out.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    FYI, if you have Amazon Prime, that book is free to borrow on Kindle. I figured it might be something I should read as well!
  • suesuarez
    suesuarez Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I cope by making it about choice. It's kind of like what @erinseattle said about DECISION.

It's really about how I approach things. I don't want to be all about "can't have this" or "I guess I messed up again". I want to be in control of what I eat and know I'm making the choice. "I want 2 glasses of Pinot noir and I will fit it into today's plan". Bread at a restaurant? No thanks. I don't want it.

When DH forced me to quit smoking, he took away my own personal choice and I snuck cigs all the time. Eventually, I started to worry that any one cig could be the tipping point and cause cancer. I decided to choose not to have another cig. When I'm out with friends and someone offers one to me, I choose to decline. I don't think to myself that I can't. I think to myself I don't want to.

This is the type of thinking I use to cope. Now that I've broken the habit of starchy sugary foods, it's all about choice. Now if i can just apply that to grading papers!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    *I just ate like 2.5 to 3 oz of almonds in one sitting.*sigh*

@wishfullthinking79 actually that was a good thing I expect base on what I learned last night if you were eating a pound of almonds you would loss weight I expect. I eat a lot of nuts.

I posted this in another thread but just watch the first three minutes about the roll of high Insulin in preventing us from losing weight and having cravings. If not interested stop watching.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=QetsIU-3k7Y

Best of success. Many of us have been where you are and know how close you are to finding success in all of the things you are working so hard to make better.

• SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Mindfulness- our thoughts are like trains coming into a busy station. We dont have to get on each one and follow it. We can let the damaging ones just leave without us.

@wishfullthinking79 when you listen to your self talk, what do you say? Who's voice are you really projecting. If what you hear is very self judgemental then maybe consider your kinder self suggesting to your judging self that everyone makes mistake and it is OK. Imagine you are speaking in a loving way to a child- how would you kindly redirect them so they learn about their choices, rather than tell them off?

Inhaling a bag of nuts is not a catastrophe. Sure, many of us have done it n felt none to proud of ourselves after, but that bag might be better than another choice we used to make. Celebrate little successes. I ate 20 cashews tonight. Is that great (i did not eat the whole 300g pack) or bad, because cashews are evil? If we get too restrictive I for one feel bullied and I rebel. Like an earlier post, if you choose it feels different!

End if my ramblings on learnings I gained from psychologists. Takes years and patience to sort through some issues so please give yourself a hug from me.