BG testing while traveling

Options
emilycat214
emilycat214 Posts: 84 Member
Background: i'm now under good control with oral meds, diet, and exercise. I never used to test other than fasting, and before exercise. Last week I saw an endo for the first time, and she wants me to do a pattern of staggered testing (fasting Monday, after breakfast on Tuesday, etc.).

I haven't had any problems with this at home and work, but in two weeks I'm taking a 10-day trip to Amsterdam. Dr says I can eat as I like while there, because I'll be walking a lot, but she wants me to continue testing regularly.

I don't normally test in public. What do I do if two hours after breakfast, I'm in a park, or a museum, or on an airplane? Should I seek out a restroom? Or is it good enough just to be discreet? Feedback would be appreciated, especially from Europeans, since I don't know if such things are handled differently there.

Replies

• judyvalentine512
    judyvalentine512 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    I think most people, regardless of the country, would understand. Test as you need to, and don't worry too much about others. Maybe some days it's more than two hours after a meal, just make a note of it in your log. Enjoy your trip.
  • wdnisbet
    wdnisbet Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I traveled to London in 2007 and had no difficulty with the few tests I did in public while there. I did these usually while seated in a restaurant at a table by ourselves and once while resting in a park so there was some separation from other people.

And it will help you see how (or if) the travel, schedule and diet changes are affecting you. You want to stay well on your vacation after all.
  • emilycat214
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I feel more comfortable now.
  • Goul22
    Goul22 Posts: 34 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I lived in England for 8 years. We travelled a lot while over there, throughout Europe. Never had problems with testing.

On either side of the "puddle", I find some people may dislike or feel uncomfortable with testing my sugars because they don't want to see blood when they eat. They don't want bloody fingerprints all over the table either or on the butter dish for example. I get that. I wouldn't want this either! If I must test in a restaurant for example, I will test with my meter on my lap. It's quick and usually no one notices.

I avoid testing in washrooms (restrooms) at all cost. Those places are swarming with germs...

Bring some alcohol wipes with you and also Purrell :)

Went to Amsterdam twice. Loved it! As Wdnisbet said, you want to stay well on your vacation after all. Words of wisdom! Enjoy it X 1000!!!!! :)
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I will be traveling to Tokyo this May and I am concerned about how to handle the time change as well as the long flight over. Do I test according to "home" time or do I test according to local time? I spoke with my doctor about the trip and the only thing she advised me on was to wear compression socks and to take baby aspirin beginning 2 weeks before the flight.
  • emilycat214
    Options
    @Goul22: I assume you use the alcohol wipes to clean your fingers after testing? I've always heard that using it beforehand can throw off the results.

I also posted this question on a travel forum, and had several Amsterdamers tell me that they have diabetic friends who test--discretely--in bars and restaurants without any problems.

I do intend to enjoy my vacation and stay healthy at the same time. I need to practice moderation and mindful eating. I want to try the pancakes (a local specialty), but I don't have to have a heaping plateful, or eat them every day. I don't think I'll try to log my meals, but I will do my BG testing regularly.
  • Goul22
    Options
    Emily.... To be honest, I never saw a difference when using the alcohol wipes.

Best way to practice moderation is by sharing a plate with someone :)

I envy you! You'll have to tell us how everything went. Have fun!!!
  • ClarissaCLD
    ClarissaCLD Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I test all the time in public and don't worry about it. I am insulin dependent so I have no choice. I even inject in public. I just discreetly lift up the bottom of my top to inject. The only time I have gone to the toilet to do it is when I had a full length dress on. No way to discreetly lift that up to your stomach.

It is a reality of my life so I don't see the point in being embarrassed about it. Making sure my levels are ok if more important.

I live in the UK, but have travelled to Italy, Spain and Tenerife since being on Insulin.
  • emilycat214
    Options
    @Goul22: I'm traveling alone, so, no plate-sharing. I will just have to find other ways to be moderate.
  • Goul22
    Options
    I would go with you!!!!! :)

I am sure you will do fine. Remember, when travelling, we are more active. Lots of walking when sight seeing :)