Periods/Shark Week when starting Keto???

Options
Hey XXKetoers,

I'm on the pill which means my period is VERY consistent - I don't ever miss a pill. However, since starting keto (this is my 25th day), my period has come 5-6 days early! I've read on some XXKeto posts that this has happened for people who weren't on any hormonal form of BC, but I guess I would've thought that since mine has hormones it would've prevented this from happening.

Has this happened to anyone else? Anyone know why? I'd read that it has something to do with a dramatic increase in fat in our diets, but that didn't make a ton of sense to me...

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I think that in my case, I take continuous pills, meaning that I'm not supposed to have a cycle at all, but I still have spotting.

My very unscientific take on this is that keto is very much like a fountain of youth type situation, particularly for women. We become resensitized to hormonal input, the slightest deviation in time can cause spotting. My hormone levels have been monitored during this time, and there does not seem to be any risk of my BCP not working, but more that the uterine lining and stuff is getting confused.

I find that my hormones in general return to a more youthful, healthy type balance, and so for someone like me, needing to medically not have cycles due to a complicating physical issue, it's stressful sometimes.

Taking your pill within the exact same 30 minute time frame every single day seems to help. As does being extra strict on carb restriction during PMS and the like (also trying to stay level, within a 10 gram range on your carbs seems to help, too). For me, this time around, after a single spotty cycle, I seem to be leveled back out, but when I first went keto last year, I had cycles 3-4 times before it leveled out. I was off keto for about 6 weeks off and on from November to January... And it took me from mid-January to early March (likely a deeper level of fat adaption) to have the spotting start...and I haven't had it again... *crossing fingers*
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I have a hormone free IUD but my TOM came early when I started keto and was off kilter for the first 2 months or so. My friend has the IUD with hormones and she's also having issues with her TOM coming early, lasting too long, and spotting. Hopefully she too will level out!
  • stanner0514
    stanner0514 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had this same issue, since end of January (started low carb beginning January) and my period comes a week early now :( Every time. Rather annoying, but I'm hoping it settles out soon. I'm on the Nuva ring, so constant low dose hormone, for 3 weeks at a time. I've read somewhere that on low carb/keto, since our bodies are utilizing our fat stores for energy, that the fat is also releasing stored hormones and so our levels are higher than normal. I assume once fat burning has slowed down, then my cycle will be normal again.
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Pretty common, or so I've read. I am on a hormone iud. I had recurring issues with TOM for the first few months after beginning keto. Sporatic cycle. it would start, stay, go, then come back all within a 3 wk timeframe but never consistently. About 3 months into Keto, it steadied out and I'm fine now.

**4-6 months after initially getting the iud, I stopped having my cycle completely. Then 1.5 years later started Keto and they came back.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    This has happened to me too. I have been on Keto for four months now, along with being on birth control pills, and it still hasn't really leveled out.

I have been early, late, had two periods in one cycle - it is a mish mash of things going on. I am actually waiting for my period to come right now - it is late but I have taken two pregnancy tests and they both came back negative (a week apart) so I may have to go to the doctor.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My period changed. I have PCOS, and I quit my BC pills shortly after my first period (2 weeks ish into keto). I've been like clockwork ever since, even though I've NEVER had a regular period in my life.
  • catbrand
    catbrand Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting post, I didn't think about how keto would affect my period but I'm only a week in and came on a couple of days ago (I don't track it so no idea if it's on tome/early etc) but it's the first time in ages that I haven't spotted for a week before it started properly and I've not had any pain or bloating. Win win win!