Symlin

Options
T1DCarnivoreRunner
T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
When Symlin first came out, I tried it for a few months. It was inconvenient, but it did decrease appetite. It also came with nausea and vomiting. I quit after a few months because it just made me too sick. I've heard that these side effects are improved. Does it still reduce appetite? I have an insatiable appetite normally, so I'm hoping that might help. Does anyone currently take Symlin? What do you experience for appetite and side effects?

Replies

• bbf2u
    bbf2u Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken it for a while so I don't know about the new stuff but I am curious about hunger. I've herd that people with type 1, always having to take insulin, have hunger issues. Have you herd this?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Yes, my appetite is always insatiable.
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am also always hungry.
  • Zhanna8
    Zhanna8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a type 1 diabetic for 31 years. I was introduced to symlin about 10 years ago and even recommend it later to my mother-in-law who is also diabetic. At the beginning it was helping me with my weight loss because my appetite has decreased. Then slowly my appetite got back as it was before, however I was still taking symlin, but not for every meal, just when I had Chinese food, pizza or bagel. Now my new health insurance is no longer covers symlin. I can take some from my mother-in-law, she offered, but I decided not to do so. I can live perfectly without symlin. Symlin often caused me a severe low blood sugar that every time I had the "low" episode I was telling myself, it has to stop. I still have lows even when not taking symlin, but they are not that severe like I'm about to die.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I'll give an update: At my last visit, I suggested Symlin, and the endo and I also discussed my idea of low carb. I'm doing both, but only take Symlin if I eat at least 30g of carbs at one sitting. Because I'm eating low carb, that only happens every week or 2. I'm not seeing the same side effects I experienced when I took it after it first came out.
  • jamie_lee80
    jamie_lee80 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 how is the symlin going? I have an endo appointment next week and wanted to discuss that or victoza with her. I know you that victoza was not approved for type 1's but they had such good results with obese t1's taking it so im going to throw it out there to her.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @jamie_lee80 I don't take it very often, but it does help when I do. It blunts the BG spike from carbs - it does not eliminate the spike, but just makes it less sharp. Since I only take it when I eat 30g or more in carbs and I'm eating low carb, I rarely use it.

Years ago when I took Symlin the first time (shortly after it came out), I would get nausea and even vomiting occasionally with higher doses or if I took it without having used it consistently every day. I'm not experiencing any side effects now when I take it.