is it Ok to be selfish?

Options
MostlyWater
MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
A (70 year old) friend decided that she accomplished whatever she wanted to here, and left.

I know that technology isn't easy for us so I don't blame her, what does she need it for?

However, it's fun for me to be here and cheer you on, to hear about your parties and what you ate, and vacations and how you fit exercise it.

So, I guess it IS OK to be selfish, huh? We do what we want, right?

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,972 Member
    Options
    you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

The word "selfish" used to be problematic for me; too long of a story and not relevant to the thread. Eventually I figured out what I thought "being selfish" meant wasn't an accurate reflection of the meaning of the word.

It isn't selfish to choose your own path or to take ensure your own needs are met. We are responsible FOR ourselves and responsible TO others. It is a critical difference.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    you-keep-using-that-word.jpg

The word "selfish" used to be problematic for me; too long of a story and not relevant to the thread. Eventually I figured out what I thought "being selfish" meant wasn't an accurate reflection of the meaning of the word.

It isn't selfish to choose your own path or to take ensure your own needs are met. We are responsible FOR ourselves and responsible TO others. It is a critical difference.

Well said, and plus five for the Princess Bride quote. :)

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Wuv. Trew wuv.

Love that movie.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    We often confuse taking care of ourselves with being selfish. That is the problem. It is actually selfish NOT to take care of yourself. I went to Catholic school. I had nuns. All I can say was it took years to learn what being slefish is and is not after that.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Wuv. Trew wuv.

Love that movie.

I hate to say how many times we've seen that movie here, but with 2 daughters, a granddaughter, a grandson and a husband who refuses to grow up.............it's been a lot of times!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,972 Member
    Options
    @MostlyWater I should clarify that my remarks were addressing the word "selfish" as opposed to the subject of your thread. I am sorry for hijacking the thread.

"Selfish" is one of the manipulations my ex-wife used on the kids and I quite liberally… Realistically, the one who was selfish was the one making the accusation. It's funny how we sometimes use words in our daily lives but never look them up in the dictionary because we "know" what they mean. Sure enough, like @nikkib0103, my understanding of selfish wasn't accurate. Luckily, even old dawgs like me can still learn.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Selfish

devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.
    characterized by or manifesting concern or care only for oneself:
    selfish motives.

1. self-interested, self-seeking, egoistic; illiberal, parsimonious, stingy.

• chamblisk
    chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    The operative word in that definition is ONLY....I care about my family, my friends, my students....but I am concerned with my own well-being now. It makes me better able to care for the others when my own needs are being met first.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

This ^^^

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    When we're talking about health-related self-care, I like to invoke the airplane metaphor: You put on your own oxygen mask before assisting others . . . otherwise, you won't be able to assist others for long!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I use the airplane thing myself.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    We often confuse taking care of ourselves with being selfish. That is the problem. It is actually selfish NOT to take care of yourself. I went to Catholic school. I had nuns. All I can say was it took years to learn what being slefish is and is not after that.

Had to laugh! Product of the same education and upbringing.