Team Challenge One: The Great Ocean Road (starts 1st April)

Options

Replies

• Klipsan
    Klipsan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow travelers. Bonaparte and I took a little side trip out of Torquay to watch the surfers at Bells Beach. There were a couple of surfers smokin’ up in van while their golden retriever dug holes in the sand. I kept walking but I could tell Bonaparte wanted to stay and visit that golden haired beauty.

Golden1.jpg

• sajones62
    sajones62 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    2 miles. Can't add my iPhone doesn't want me to edit :(
  • BigChangeNeeded
    BigChangeNeeded Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    sajones62 wrote: »
    2 miles. Can't add my iPhone doesn't want me to edit :(

Added that for you, and nice walking today :smile:
  • BigChangeNeeded
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Ok, I'm sorry its a little late, but here is our first official update....

Day One:

Our day one total was a whopping 26.4 miles!! Well done everyone.

This was the view that greeted up when we reached Anglesea - a beautiful scenic lighthouse, the perfect place to have a short break, dig out those lovely healthy packed lunches, and stop for a while to enjoy the sun on our faces and the sea breeze in our hair.

1n0j0je55na8.jpg

Professor LeBlanc regaled us with tales of her adventures searching for hidden historical wonders, Bonaparte amused himself investigating crab pools in the rocks, and Howard sat contentedly with a lettuce leaf while he received under-chin tickles from all.

ltectliaka7q.jpg
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Day Two:

We lingered a little longer than we probably should have at the glorious lighthouse at Anglesea, and decided on a more leisurely pace for day two, as we'd done so well on Day One.

We walked along paved streets, sandy beaches, picked our way through some bumpy rock beds, waving to the nice people of Southern Australia. Bonaparte often took the lead, sniffing out the way forward, and even though people would assume Howard would need a little help as tortoises are often quite relaxed, when we turned around, he was always there, keeping stride.

We had a couple of breaks to buy souvenirs and to take photographs of the stunning scenery, but as we approached the end of our walking day, we came across this view:

4tk09f9uwd2m.jpg

Its fair to say that we were all fairly speechless for a while!

As we sat to tally up our walk at the end of the day, we realised we'd covered an amazing 21 miles on day two! Thats 47.4 miles of a 160 mile walk in two days. That's more than a quarter of the way there, we're not called Team Awesome for nothing

rwnawrypfzvz.jpg

• Tata0716
    Tata0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry I haven't been able to get my walks in :(, I promise to make up for it in the next couple of days!
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    No worries @Tata0716 we've a long way to go yet, we're just happy to have you with us :)
  • audrey13027
    audrey13027 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    For some reason I haven't been able to add my info to the spreadsheet via iphone (grrrr). Here are my somewhat meager totals (compared to some of you power walkers! :) ) for the last 2 days.
    4/1=2609 steps /1.43 miles
    4/2=2264 steps/1.22miles

Thanks!
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    For some reason I haven't been able to add my info to the spreadsheet via iphone (grrrr). Here are my somewhat meager totals (compared to some of you power walkers! :) ) for the last 2 days.
    4/1=2609 steps /1.43 miles
    4/2=2264 steps/1.22miles

Thanks!

As I've totalled the first two days, are you ok with me tagging these on to days three and four? If you're able to update as you go for the next couple of days, I'll make sure these get added on.
  • Klipsan
    Klipsan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you want the best view in Lorne, head to Teddy's Lookout. It is a pleasant walk up behind Lorne and the view is just spectacular. Coming down the hill today, Bonaparte stopped to cool off at a freshwater swamp, dense with vegetation, and through the reeds we spotted an Australian Blue Billed Duck.

o9qx4o.jpg

I wonder if Howard the tortoise likes swamps?
  • jesscoll317
    jesscoll317 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I just now got to put in my Day 2 steps. Sorry! Busy Sunday.
  • audrey13027
    Options

As I've totalled the first two days, are you ok with me tagging these on to days three and four? If you're able to update as you go for the next couple of days, I'll make sure these get added on.

Whatever works to make it easier for you! I'll update as I go from now on, but do you want the day's total that same evening or the next morning...(whenever that is where you are)? :)
  • audrey13027
    Options
    Here's Sunday April 3rd

2381 steps/1.35miles

gracias!
  • LCSt68
    LCSt68 Posts: 67 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    668 steps, already logged, Bonaparte pulled me most of the way in a wagon. :wink:
    I <3 this team name!

p.s. how are you converting steps into miles? I'll post miles if it's easier.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    Whatever works to make it easier for you! I'll update as I go from now on, but do you want the day's total that same evening or the next morning...(whenever that is where you are)? :)

I'll usually leave it to the following day before totalling up, and usually later in the day to cover the time difference. Right now its lunchtime on the 4th here in the UK, so I'll give it a couple of hours and then tally up the data from the 3rd.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    LCSt68 wrote: »

... how are you converting steps into miles? I'll post miles if it's easier.

Steps or miles is fine. An adult has a pace of between 2000 and 2500 steps per mile, so I'm using the middle point, 2250, and working it out from there. When people enter steps, I divide the number of steps by 2250 to get the mile count. I figured it was probably the fairest way of doing it without actually travelling to meet all you lovely people and measuring your strides :smile:
  • MYhealthyjourney70
    MYhealthyjourney70 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    love this challenge... it has definitely motivated me... i have been trying to log my steps/miles at the end of the day... everyone is doing great
  • schmitz17
    schmitz17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that I can join in, I know that I am a little late.
  • BigChangeNeeded
    Options
    schmitz17 wrote: »
    Is it possible that I can join in, I know that I am a little late.

Of course you can :smile:

I've added you to the spreadsheet, it might take a little while to show up, but you're there. Nice to have you with us.
  • audrey13027
    Options
    Hey BCN-

Here is my Monday 4/4 total (I swear, as soon as I figure out how to get this phone to let me, I'll start adding them to the ss myself!).

Monday 4/4=2684 steps/1.44 miles

thanks again for doing this...