Women's Sizes

Options
E_Brault
E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
After losing 45 pounds, I am down 5 pant sizes.

I weigh 193.5; I am 5'8.5"

And I'm wearing size 16, not all of my size 16's fit me - but fitting into 5 out of 6 makes me happy.

I have a bunch of business clothes at size 14.

How much do I have to weigh to fit into a regular (not women's) size 14?

Any women out there my height wearing a size 14? Or used to?

I really can't wait to wear my suits and I have a small project coming up that may get me seen by all the right people.

Thanks.

Replies

• nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    This is a problem because sizes are no longer standard and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It isn't so much losing weight but reducing waist size. The main difference between a 'regular' 14 and a 14W is that the 14W is two inches bigger in the waist. The standard used to be that losing or gaining ten pounds would cause you to go down or up a size. Today 15 pounds is generally the rule, though that can vary. I lost 43 pounds and went down one, just one, pant size because I lost everywhere but my waist. Vanity sizing plays havoc too. The size 12 of today is the equivalent of a size 8 in the 1950s and 60s. It's a real pain.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    This is a problem because sizes are no longer standard and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. It isn't so much losing weight but reducing waist size. The main difference between a 'regular' 14 and a 14W is that the 14W is two inches bigger in the waist. The standard used to be that losing or gaining ten pounds would cause you to go down or up a size. Today 15 pounds is generally the rule, though that can vary. I lost 43 pounds and went down one, just one, pant size because I lost everywhere but my waist. Vanity sizing plays havoc too. The size 12 of today is the equivalent of a size 8 in the 1950s and 60s. It's a real pain.

Thank you. This is perfect!

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm not as tall as you, I'm 5"7" and weigh around 162. Pretty much wear a size 10 or 12 depending on the maker and mostly mediums although still a large now and then. My waist size has been going down pretty steadily even though I'm not really losing much weight still.........assume it's from weight lifting.........
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    I goofed! The size 8 of today was a size 12 in the 50s and 60s. So when they say Marilyn Monroe was a heifer for wearing a 12 or 14 she was actually wearing today's 8 or 10. I have seen some of her clothes in an exhibit. She was nowhere near a 14 of today's standards.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    I goofed! The size 8 of today was a size 12 in the 50s and 60s. So when they say Marilyn Monroe was a heifer for wearing a 12 or 14 she was actually wearing today's 8 or 10. I have seen some of her clothes in an exhibit. She was nowhere near a 14 of today's standards.

That was the way I understood it too...............When I was in my 20's I wore a 9/10 and weighed about 25 lbs less than I do now.....
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Yes. I also have found a disconnect from the '70's to today. At 120 I wore an 10/11 size. Now I wear a 6 or 8. At 130 today I'm wearing an 8.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Yup, vanity sizing is about. Wore a 13 as a teenager at 145, now at 135 I can wear a 6, I am 5'6". Again it varies with brands.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Well it doesn't get any easier for the men either. Sometimes I think they just randomly place sizing labels on things. I have probably a 5-6 difference in various jeans and slacks I own, almost always the waist size. For some reason the inseam measurement rarely changes.

If I had to deal with dresses and heels I'd be one cranky person! :)
  • Walkingoffthelbs
    Walkingoffthelbs Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it can be quit discouraging. So many designers are producing smaller cuts its deceiving. You go in one store and feel great because you can wear a smaller size. Then you try the same style in another store and it doesn't fit and you even need to go up a size or two to fit in them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It's been at least 20 years since I've been at my current weight--at that time I was on my way up and now I'm going down--but I am relatively sure that I can wear smaller clothes now than then. I don't know for sure because I gave away all "too small" clothes 3 years ago when moving. I attribute it all to the strength training I've been doing the entire 16 months that I've been losing weight.

But, yes, sizes are crazy. I currently have a span of at least 3-4 sizes (M, L, XL, 1X) in my closet that fit well to passable, depending on the brand and style. It's not really discouraging to me, just annoying that you never know which size to try first, although I'm getting better at eyeballing.
  • E_Brault
    Options
    Thank you all. I have been anxious to fit into my size 14s. I just have to be grateful for the additional 1/2 pound I have lost. I weigh myself everyday, but almost never measure myself. As of today, I am 1 inch less here and 2 inches less there. So eventually it will all come together.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    sizes are super crazy. I don't know why they can't be more consistent.
  • E_Brault
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A few weeks ago, I fit into my beautiful size 14 suits and dress blouses, but the jeans and the dresses refused to fit. Then a couple of weeks ago, I fit into my 14s jeans, but I had to wait on the smaller 14s. Good news! The smaller size 14 jeans fit. My scale weighs both fat and weight, my weight has not dropped but my fat has dropped about 2 percent in the past month.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,974 Member
    Options
    I suppose this is one area where men are ahead of those with curves. Our sizes are in inches. Even so, the vanity sizing thing applies. Jeans with 38 waist and "husky fit" are 38" but directly below the belt, they're closer to 40".

Sizing is such a nuisance for those of us who are burly. If it fits the shoulders, then below the chest is very loose. I don't have a choice about wearing a belt. If the pants fit my upper legs, then the waist is too loose. Don't even get me started on calfs...
  • E_Brault
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    After losing 45 pounds, I am down 5 pant sizes.

I weigh 193.5; I am 5'8.5"

And I'm wearing size 16, not all of my size 16's fit me - but fitting into 5 out of 6 makes me happy.

I have a bunch of business clothes at size 14.

How much do I have to weigh to fit into a regular (not women's) size 14?

Any women out there my height wearing a size 14? Or used to?

I really can't wait to wear my suits and I have a small project coming up that may get me seen by all the right people.

Thanks.

I'm at 172 now. The size 14s no longer fit. I milked that size for all it was worth and am now wearing a size 10. I completely skipped over size 12. I did shrink 1/2 an inch in height. Still waiting on a doctor's appointment - so I can get a referral to a chiropractor.

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,207 Member
    Options
    Kudo's girl! Making great progress! carry on!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Sizes are so ridiculous. I am 5'7". When I weighed 190#, I could squeeze into size 18 and wore XL and XXL. I carried most of my weight up front...looked like a very pregnant grandma. I remember going down in sizes as I was losing and offering my "big" pants to a friend who started out maybe 60-70# heavier than I. She was in size 10 at 190#! I suppose we just need to go shopping and wear what fits. Good grief!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    P.S. Great job @E_Brault !