putting weight/water on before monthly period

Options
jaketwin123
jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
evening,this will be my second month going into ketosis and just wondered do you experience water/weight gain before it's due

mine are a bit mad at the moment but should really be on one or very due and have just weighed myself and am up 2 pounds,20 carbs a a day.1350 cals,havent gone over at all and have been heavy gardening for 13hrs last 2 days,always been under my calorie amount,so can only think thats the explanation

any experience of this,i feel gutted that its gone up,but if it is that thats fine and to be expected

many thanks

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    the heavy gardening could do it too - any increase in exercise can cause water retention to cushion and repair your muscle tissue. Are you sore from the gardening? Sore muscles are almost always holding water.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    But yes, I tend to retain water during my period or just before; generally by the end of it I have lost it all and am down to a new low weight.
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    yes i am sore,do i just drink more water
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I always gained 2-4Lbs the day before my period (and at ovulation) regardless of my WOE.
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    yes mines 2lb up,if its heavy gardening what will be the outcome,will the weight stay ?i really hope not
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There's a whole bunch of things that cause sudden fluctuations in scale weight. Don't sweat it.
    You didn't gain 2 lbs of fat since yesterday.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    There's a whole bunch of things that cause sudden fluctuations in scale weight. Don't sweat it.

The things that ALWAYS cause(d) the scale to bounce up 2-4Lbs for me:

ToM (doesn't happen anymore)
    Ovulation (ditto)
    eating sushi (soy sauce)
    flying across the country
    intensive exercise
    drinking alcohol
    eating a carb heavy meal like pizza
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Ovulation (ditto)
    eating sushi (soy sauce)
    intensive exercise
    drinking alcohol

Don't ya love it?!?!
    Mine is so random, it will shoot up for no identifiable reason at all! Along with all the identifiable ones!
    It has been a hard road to get to a point of being ok with it for me but I have arrived! And I'm glad I don't stress the increases anymore.
  • jaketwin123
    Options

ha ha,good point,no way have i wandered of the path,last few days have only hit 5-10carbs a day and most days no more than 1300 cals a day
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    hmmmm its deffo pre menstrual or the heavy gardening
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2016
    Options

Ovulation (ditto)
    eating sushi (soy sauce)
    intensive exercise
    drinking alcohol

Don't ya love it?!?!
    Mine is so random, it will shoot up for no identifiable reason at all! Along with all the identifiable ones!
    It has been a hard road to get to a point of being ok with it for me but I have arrived! And I'm glad I don't stress the increases anymore.

The weirdest one for me was flying across country (even worse, flying to europe/asia or back. It's ridiculous.
    I remember once, years ago, my boss went on a diet. He told me weekly what he weighed. We went to Europe. Came back and he called freaking out because the scale was up 5Lbs. I told him to ignore it, drink water, and weigh again in 2 days. BAM. Back down. That was the day he learned about "airplane weight". ha.
  • jparks527
    jparks527 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    the heavy gardening could do it too - any increase in exercise can cause water retention to cushion and repair your muscle tissue. Are you sore from the gardening? Sore muscles are almost always holding water.
    Phrick wrote: »

Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention! I thought I was crazy. Now I understand.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Ovulation (ditto)
    eating sushi (soy sauce)
    intensive exercise
    drinking alcohol

Don't ya love it?!?!

The weirdest one for me was flying across country (even worse, flying to europe/asia or back. It's ridiculous.
    I remember once, years ago, my boss went on a diet. He told me weekly what he weighed. We went to Europe. Came back and he called freaking out because the scale was up 5Lbs. I told him to ignore it, drink water, and weigh again in 2 days. BAM. Back down. That was the day he learned about "airplane weight". ha.

I always retain water when I fly too, and I swear it's literally all in my ankles :disappointed:
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yep. except mine is usually a 5-10 lb rise. It's water, I can see it in my face and body too. My face and lower belly gets bloated, and my hands and feet swell. That's why I only weight myself twice a month, the week after my period is gone and the week after that.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes this has been my experience too. Since I started this WOE at the end of January, I can always count on seeing my weight go up before my period. And all through it. It usually drops back to normal at the end and then another pound or two off.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I always retain water with my TOM. Ain't no thang.

But using the Libra app has really helped me chillax on daily weight fluctuation worries.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I typically get around 5# of water weight gain 2-3 days before TOM hits (it normally returns to baseline or lower once TOM leaves). I get about the same around ovulation (typically my weight spikes the day before & then I start losing the water the day after ovulation).
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Even post menopausal I see the fluid weight fluctuation of hormones. Expect it and don't let it get to you!
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    hi,update yes my period started today so i guess i have the answer,will wait a few days to weigh myself