Is it too early to talk nutrition?

Options
I don't know if I'm supposed to start threads. If not, sorry Hoss, feel free to remove.

I'm new to MFP, and it's been a great experience for me. Thanks to all who give me a lift when I need it. One thing I've noticed is quite a few people pay close attention to calories in/out, and no attention to what makes up the calories. This often leaves people starving themselves and voicing frustration at the scale.

I'm no expert and won't pretend to be, but I wish MFP would put the macro pie-chart on the home page (I've seen it on my wife's iPad, but it doesn't show up on my LG phone). This to me is equally or even more important than calories in/out for some people.

If you aren't looking at macros and not achieving your goals, I would encourage you to pay close attention to the pie chart!

That said, I would love to hear more about everyone's plans for nutrition, both for the April challenge and long-term. I would love to hear more from people about what works and what doesn't, in the hopes we can all all learn more.

One thing I have learned in my 40s is you can no longer just workout to reach your goals. Nutrition is even more important. Good luck everyone!

Replies

• carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I've almost finished whole 30 so had 30 days of no added sugar, no dairy, no grains, no legumes, no beans, no alcohol etc. Im trying to decide what to do next in terms of nutrition, I hope to mainly stick to this but with some treats at times
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Caroline, that is a serious diet! I don't think I could give all that up, at least not over the long haul. You clearly have more will power than me!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Great topic. One of my goals this year is to consciously track my macros. I am in maintenance mode and really focusing on a leaner body. I still don't know what macro breakdown I should use.

I tend to prefer lowish carb as this is what my doc recommended for my pcos. I am not a huge meat eater and tend to stick with seafood and prob chicken or turkey breast once a week.

I still have a lot of reading to do I guess. Right now I aim to have protein in all my meals and snacks but don't really track it.

I admire anyone who can conform to whole 30. No added sugar I can do but I love my legumes, yogurt and cheese. Lol
  • thehoss316
    thehoss316 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Love that you opened this up Betheriver. THIS is what the group is meant for!
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out is a good plan to a point. If you have a lot of weight to lose, its a very viable starting point. However, once you begin to get into a "healthy" body weight range, you MUST pay attention to what makes up your calories. For example, I like to weigh everyday just to see the changes in my body due to certain things. I know for a fact, if I drink 2 beers, even if I'm under calories, I will hold an additional 1-2lbs of water weight the next day. Which is fine, unless it's the day of a weigh in hahaha.

I am continuing to work on balancing my macros, increasing my protein (I finally caved and got a protein powder), and losing body fat.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    I am a big believer in protein powder. I use it every day I exercise. To me the caveats are it shouldn't be the main source of protein, and be sure to use one from a reputable company.

• singletrackmtbr
    Options
    I have been doing a bit of research about cheat days vs. cheat meals. I haven't yet reached my own conclusions, but there are some studies out there that suggest that single cheat meals are better for you overall than a full cheat day. Here's a pretty basic article for your enjoyment:

http://www.medicaldaily.com/9010-rule-cheat-meals-actually-boost-your-metabolism-and-help-you-lose-weight-327212
  • thehoss316
    thehoss316 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I feel that cheat days can lead to far too much of a landslide...the "meal" concept adds a layer of restriction to what is still an awesome treat. That's my two cents, anyway.

From a big picture standpoint...I also like the 85-15 breakdown (85 being % of time you adhere to your plan).
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like the idea of cheat days. I have failed at losing weight to many times because of cheat days.

The most recent and successful time that I was able to lose weight I did a rotation diet. 5 days a week you cut out 500 calories from your diet and the 2 days a week you eat maitence. It always makes it seem like a break is near. After 4 weeks of that rotation I would take a full week of maitence calories as a break. So you never go fully off the diet and you still have to weigh your food.

Ad far as macros I'm still working and reading about them for maitence. I'm currently doing 49 carb, 30 fat and 30 protein but that is something I'm still playing with. Hope this info helps someone.
  • Dana_E
    Dana_E Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to a whole food plant based (vegan) diet because my blood work numbers were awful last fall. I didn't want to go on meds so I changed my diet instead and started exercising. Since February I've lost 30 pounds. But even better, I went to the doctor to follow up on my March blood draw, and all my numbers except one were in the green/optimal. I am aware of my macros, but I pay more attention to CICO and micronutrients. Even though my diet is carb heavy (beans, whole grains, some fruit) in terms of macros, and I usually only hit 70g of protein per day, my insulin levels are very low and my A1C is back to normal, so it's working well for me, and I plan on sticking with WFPB for now.
  • mystcfolly
    mystcfolly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on nutrition are pretty simple... moderation in all things. I allow myself a square of dark chocolate. We had girl scout cookies... I like GS cookies. I was allowed a serving, not the box. Two boxes lasted us 4 weeks. I don't eat chips as a snack, but we will occasionally have nachos for dinner, with more of the veggies and protein than the chips. Everything I do is with an eye to making sure I can maintain this way of eating after I lose the weight. If anybody has done Atkins and gained all the weight (and more) back, you know why I find moderation the only option. My boyfriend is a diabetic, and we watch his sugar intake, but we again are moderate with it. Not all is "no sugar added". He eats carbs, but we tend to choose whole grain carbs. I find it easier to eat the same things he eats and he eats the same things I eat... so we are mindful of both those things in our diets. We both prefer red meat, but only allow it in our diet once a week due to my cholesterol. (My numbers are now perfect, btw) We eat a lot of fish and seafood... we try to make better choices when we eat out, but sometimes we let go. We don't drink... so that's not an issue....

So again... moderation is probably the best way for me to think of nutrition.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    @ mystc you are definitely looking at it the right way and choosing a sustainable path. A nutrition plan should not be about suffering and denial in my opinion. I've come to realize with most of my vices it's really about just getting a taste, and it isn't more satisfying eating a whole bag of chips than it is eating a handful. Way to go!
  • TamiJo1004
    TamiJo1004 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more protein but some days my macros look better than others. I sometimes wonder if I will ever fully get the macros down. I do 40% carbs, 30 % fat and 30% protein. I eat a lot of chicken. I eat things in moderation but I have noticed sometimes it is better to not eat something because then I just continue eating. I have to continually remind myself to think of its worth it.
  • Yisrael1981
    Yisrael1981 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I do try to get in enough protein however the basis of my diet is caloric intake so it's more important for me to not eat more than I burn than to get in specific types of food
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Keeping a food diary on MFP has really forced me to admit I'm a sugar addict! I really need to cut down. It didnt matter in my teens and twenties because I was young and extremely active, but it is a problem now. If anyone can recommend a good plan please let me know. I don't want a full cleanse or anything too strict as I have kids and can't make our meals too different or there will be rebellion! Lol

Edit to add - I have cut out wine and I'm trying to cut out chocolate and cookies. I don't drink pop/ soda.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    A couple of places sugar hides are in sauces and condiments as well as fruit juices. Just my two cents. Good luck!
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    betheriver wrote: »
    A couple of places sugar hides are in sauces and condiments as well as fruit juices. Just my two cents. Good luck!

You have to watch breads also. These damn companies love hiding sugar in bread, and whole food bars. While better than bars that are made out of chemicals, some have as much sugar as candy bars!
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I've almost finished whole 30 so had 30 days of no added sugar, no dairy, no grains, no legumes, no beans, no alcohol etc. Im trying to decide what to do next in terms of nutrition, I hope to mainly stick to this but with some treats at times

Curious- did you get the results you were after with that method? I was considering trying after I read it somewhere.