cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    ... Apparently fat bikes make you fat?
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    cloggsy71 wrote: »
    ... Apparently fat bikes make you fat?

That is a common misconception purported by the biased media trying to push their agenda against all things fun and invigorating.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
  • RidingPastor
    RidingPastor Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    I find myself fascinated and intrigued by fat bikes but honestly, other than my annual week at the beach here in NC, I have no idea where or when I'd ride it. My hardtail mountain bike does a great job on the local singletrack and if I'm going to buy another bike to ride on that stuff it's going to be a full-suspension XC rig, not a fat bike. As for gravel, I just couldn't bring myself to ride it there. I love riding my 'cross bike too much. We don't generally have winters that are bad enough to necessitate something like a fat bike. When the weather is bad I have a nice trainer setup, Zwift, and TrainerRoad to make the most of my saddle time. Most of the winter I can very easily, and more-or-less comfortably, ride road, gravel, or singletrack.

i agree I would love to have the opportunity to ride one in the snow but we just don't get enough snow to warrant it. I bet it would be super fun though in the snow/ sand/ muck.

I don't have a trainer... I just ride outside....on my 'cross bike which is set up as a commuter! If it is snowing or has snowed I get out the mountain bike. Front tire is 2.35" and rear is 2.21 It is halfway to fat tire territory.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    937b57c579c5f37088a1b4d1a5b06a99.jpg

I rented a fat bike and rode some groomed (snow) trails in Winthrop, WA. It was fun.

The photo above is on the Winthrop page, and is of Rainy Lake, where it's illegal to ride a bike.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I just spent $1300 outfitting a Kona Rove for commuting to work so Fat bikes may have to wait.(my wife thinks i'm nuts as work is 16km uphill in the morning, but coming home is a blast;) ) a fat bike (or at least a hella lot fatter than my new ride) will be needed if i want to commute regularly in winter (a huge portion of my ride is on trails through the city which were/are still pretty mucky at points (though i can get through now without having to hop off and walk the skinny tires through the worst) Certainly it's stretching my fitness levels first week was hell it's getting easier (now that my butt is more saddle hardened and i'm getting better wind) ....in case it isn't apparent i'm less about cycling as a hard core sport than i am about it as a means of transport with getting fit as a benefit
  • txchics
    txchics Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My favorite bike is my Fat Bike! Goes through any terrain on our farm!!

Charlie from Texas
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine rides fat bike...and there is nothing more enjoyable than to see him pass people on a paved trail who are riding their tri-bikes. I might try and get one if I start commuting to work more with my bike.