What is the damage if you keep yo yoing between keto and regular diet?

Options
Astharteea
Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
I was watching this YouTube vid of Stephanie something and she was saying that you can damage your body if you go back and forth between keto and regular eating. What exactly is the damage?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you call "regular eating." If you're talking high carb, high fat, high protein, that's mortal in and of itself, IMO.

There is a program call Trim Healthy Mama (no affiliation, just personal experience with a friend who's used the program very successfully) that alternates between high fat and low fat (adjusting carbs in balance - and I think protein mostly stays the same) days. It's very successful for many people.

So please clarify what you mean by regular eating. I don't consider SAD (Standard American Diet) regular, nor anything full of fast food, processed foods, non-foods, etc., regular, at least not for me again.

But yes, doing high carbs and high fats is hard on the body. Ketogenic benefits are best gained over the longer term, etc.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    There are many versions of keto the include higher-carb days. I think it really depends. The main thing is that you can't be high-fat and high-carb. That's a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Astharteea
    Options
    Regular eating means eating whatever your craving. Pizza, pasta, cake, ice cream included. Between thanksgiving and vanlentines day I ate everything. I gained 25 lbs back in approximately 4 months. Now I'm trying to limit my carbs as much as I can and I find it harder than the first time. It might be the fact that I work now and I have no will power at lunch....or the fact that my husband is not on board with it anymore. But mainly is me. I have no will power and no self control. I'm week. I'll be obese and ugly for the rest of my life. ( I'm one of those that get super ugly when they get fat)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I eat pizza regularly. I either eat only the toppings (a personal favorite - I make this several times a week for lunches and such) or I make a low carb version of crust (fathead is a good one) that even my carb-o-saur SO will eat.

I use spaghetti squash or go with broccoli or something as a base for pasta sauce. There are some zoodle (zucchini noodle) and zucchini lasagna recipes on my list to try. Just last night, I made Alfredo sauce from scratch with Cajun shrimp. I put mine over steamed broccoli, my guy used noodles. I find it far more filling without the noodles. He had to eat twice as much as I did to feel full, AND he added Italian bread, too.

There are low carb versions of cake and ice cream. Even on a "regular eating" plan, those things should all be limited to treats occasionally, not the daily fare in massive portions that modern society eats.

Personally, if I had to guess, the reason you're struggling now so much is because you feel deprived and have not made a way to fit in your own personal favorite indulgences into your current eating plan. Think outside the box. Go for the flavors and spirit of your favorites - or avoid those and make new favorites!

I find that the longer I'm low carb in general, the more my taste buds change. I never used to like onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, and the like. I could barely tolerate cream cheese or butter unless melted. Now those things are mainstays in my dietary plan...

And I am the world's worst about willpower. I don't have any. Sincerely. Yesterday I ate two chocolate squares at my desk (all I had left for the week) because I was tired, craving sweets, not caring, etc. I knew I didn't need them. I knew I wasn't overly hungry truly... But I chose to eat them anyway. Set yourself up for success by limiting access to things you might overconsume in a weak moment...

And the feeling of lacking willpower and self control - make sure you've had your fasting insulin checked (different than blood sugar, not an automatic test). It creates an eating impulse, then feeling hungrier after you start eating, never feeling full, but storing fat situation that metabolically challenges many of us here...

As for the feelings of "super ugly" and all that, you might want to consider some therapy or self-reflection... That negativity focused on your sense of self might be undermining all your efforts for feeling like "never" or "always" or that you don't deserve it, etc. I had to learn to love all of myself at my heaviest (319 pounds, 5'4" tall) before I could start to make progress on the weight, health, or any of it... Once I did that, and realize that while I don't have to like or love everything about myself physically, I do have to accept it and love myself as a whole...it was very difficult, and some days still is, because I'm nowhere near a healthy weight yet, but I'm a work in progress...

As for hubby being no longer on board, get him on board with not bringing in your trigger foods and such around you. If he has to consume them, ask him to eat them when he's at work or what-have-you. That's not unreasonable as a request. Explain to him that you want to be healthier to have a long life ahead of you to love him longer (or annoy him longer, depending on the nature of your relationship). Explain to him how much you're struggling, and that you need him in your corner, even if he chooses not to walk the path himself, etc.

If you are interested, I have a post I wrote about Motivation and Determination, and why willpower is a lie.

(hugs) and good luck to you!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Great post @KnitorMiss. This is why we love you! <3
    I'm a work in progress too. Each new day is a new start towards a better tomorrow.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thank you, @slimzandra ... I try to just share from the heart...

And I second that...works in progress we ALL are! Each moment, each choice, each bite - is a chance to better ourselves. :)
  • Astharteea
    edited April 2016
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    And the feeling of lacking willpower and self control - make sure you've had your fasting insulin checked (different than blood sugar, not an automatic test).
    (hugs) and good luck to you!

How do I do that? I went to the doc on Monday, for my annual physical,and I've told her I suspect that I'm insulin resistant and if there's any test she can have done to see. I have no idea if she ordered any or just the regular thing. Is there a test I can specifically ask for?
    Thank you!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Fasting Insulin is the name of the test (mine reported on the lab report as "insulin level"). Like the do a fasting blood sugar test. But it tests your insulin levels when you've fasted. You don't need any extra blood generally, though if she didn't run it Monday, by Thursday any extra blood was likely discarded. If you have access to your lab results online, you could look for any test with insulin in the title. If not, just call and ask your doc's nurse. Tell her you want your fasting insulin levels. You have have a poor insulin test and normal blood sugars, vice versa, both poor results, or both great results... They're kind of like cousins - related, but not directly driving each other up the walls...
  • Astharteea
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Well, I asked her about it but I don't know if she listened. I will see when my results are ready. If she didn't do it I'll specifically ask for it next time I see her in June.
    I don't think I like my doctor. She should have tested this a long time ago when I first saw her. I shouldn't have to ask for things like this. I'm obviously obese and struggle with it for a while now. Everything else is right with me, all my lab tests in the past where good so obviously obesity was something she should have tested more. We talked about it and all she had to say was all the bs skinny ppl say " exercise and be motivated. Do weight watchers. Stay motivated" :)) well thank you Doctor obvious! I would have never thought of this.
    Anywho, thanks, I'll definitely follow up on fasting insulin.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    You're welcome. Even without testing, there are a bunch of things you can start doing to help with the reactions. Eliminate sugars and most sweeteners. Find any foods that when you eat them you end up hungrier and minimize those. Pair anything with sweets or carbs with fats for more efficient processing, etc. Look up insulin resistance and start educating yourself.

As for the doctor who should have know, I absolutely love my PCP. She's been great. But she never thought to test my insulin, because my glucose numbers were good. She was convinced it was my thyroid, thought that didn't show up on my tests either, for a long time. Turns out she was wrong about the insulin, right about the thyroid. What's hilarious to me is that my endocrinologist ordered the test based on a single conversation. Then when my PCP saw the results, she FLIPPED OUT...

So it isn't an automatic thing... If you like your doctor otherwise, I'd stick with her. But if she spouts old trite phrases, not personalizing it to you yourself - and/or she doesn't listen to your concerns, I'd absolutely switch doctors if you can. Getting an endocrinologist is preferred, if you can do so, as they handle all the miscellaneous things that tend to break our metabolisms... :)

Good luck, and be proactive. Educate yourself, because your doctor simply might not really know the up to date studies, etc.
  • Astharteea
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Oh, I guess you kinda answered my question I posted on the other thread. So endocrinologist it is. I just always thought I should see a nutritionist or dietician (?) never thought of an endocrinologist.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Astharteea wrote: »
    Oh, I guess you kinda answered my question I posted on the other thread. So endocrinologist it is. I just always thought I should see a nutritionist or dietician (?) never thought of an endocrinologist.

Your endocrinologist might send you to a specific registered dietitian, but the endocrinologist deals with the hormonal/chemical/internal side of it. S/he can also give you basic dietary advice or suggest a program. I'd do that before I worried about a dietitian. I think it is the dietitian who has to go to school, and nearly anyone can become a nutritionist without training. Add to that most of them are still running off studies and data that are 30-50 years out of date, and you'll be better off with the endocrinologist sending you to a dietitian who adheres to modern ideals of different dietary plans for different people!
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    Great post @KnitorMiss. This is why we love you! <3
    I'm a work in progress too. Each new day is a new start towards a better tomorrow.

Agreed!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have read that once you go low carb for an extended period of time then you cant go back.. Putting on weight is easier than before, apparently. I wished I save the article I read
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Great post, Knit! Can so relate to the struggles, all of it!...must.keto.on...
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I went off keto for a loooong time. I kept trying to get back and did not have success. But I kept trying. And, now, it's finally clicking. It's been about a year of struggling. *Sigh*.
  • becwana
    becwana Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I try not to think about willpower as something you either have or don't. I think it is something that can be worked on and improved upon.
    For me it's about taking responsibility for each choice. Each time I make a good choice I am choosing improved health, self-esteem AND strengthening my willpower.
    On the occasions I don't make a good choice I accept that I am undermining my own efforts and (in my case) choosing heartburn, indigestion and going back on the promises I made to myself which has a negative impact on my willpower and self-esteem. So I try to remember the negative effects that choice led to and try to make a better choice the next time and accept its all part of my journey. Twists and turns and stumbling blocks happen - the important thing is to keep going.
    You need to be kinder to yourself - don't call yourself horrible names, all of that also impacts your self esteem and therefore your willpower.
    Highly recommend a book called the six pillars of self esteem xx