Alcohol

Options
jaketwin123
jaketwin123 Posts: 55 Member
hi,havent had a drink since starting LCHF and being in ketosis but have a party on Saturday,i normally drink vodka and coke but guessing that will be diet now, but am wondering if it will effect my ketosis and how you found dinking after you started LCHF

thanks

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Your body will 'pause' ketosis and burn the alcohol first after you drink it.

You may discover you cannot drink as much as before. I definitely became a lightweight after starting LCHF.
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    1. Vodka and diet. 2. Your alcohol tolerance may disappear, and watch for hangovers from hell.
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    oh nooooooooo that bad
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I allow myself to drink no sugar drinks because... Well, I like to drink sometimes. Sure there's some negative effect, but you have to figure out your individual level to indulge and just decide for yourself how you think it does or does not affect your progress toward whatever your goals are.

One thing I will say for sure! Do yourself a huge favor and drink at least a small glass of water between each drink and add some salt to it. Then before you go to bed, have another and if you're taking a magnesium supplement already, do not forget it that night before bed. Then first thing in the morning, get a good amount of salt in you ASAP.
    This regimen assumes you'll drink several drinks. If you don't drink as much, you can be less aggressive with the hydration and electrolytes.
  • CMYKRGB
    CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of Crystal Light and a splash, and I mean splash of Toto's Handmade Vodka. And I nurse it. I can have two drinks in an afternoon and must hydrate, or there's trouble. I've always been a lightweight, so that's nothing out of the norm. =)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Yes, hydrate! I completely agree! Expect it to take less to reach desired effect!
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    ^ What @Sunny_Bunny_ said!
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    thanks for all replies,tomorrow could be an interesting evening
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get home and test this out myself! It will be great if my tolerance level has dropped o:)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Yep... what Sunny_Bunny_ said... My limit is 1 drink per hour - any more and I am over the legal limit. Then again I am 5"8, 139 lbs and 20% BF. Eat fatty things with your alcohol to slow down the absorption, like olives and cheese. One glass of water per glass/serving of alcohol.
    Here's a chart for a bit of perspective:
    u8sfeoliwt7t.jpg
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    ok reporting back

had 3 rashers of bacon,3 strawberries,and 2oz cheese up until 5pm

then had a reasonable amount of salt in a glass of water
    between 5 and 11 had 8 measures of vodka all with slimline tonic
    got home has a little salt and some water and ate a protein roll with butter,sleep
    woke up feeling a little jaded but no where near badly hungover
    tested on my ketosis strip and am still in ketosis

dont really eat in the day but have had several coffees with double cream,pretty normal
    didnt lower my resistance but stayed on singles but usually have doubles (did not feel drunk at all

feel pretty good,have chopped some wood and cleaned some windows,no way if i was hungover

basically not the hellish experience i was expecting but will not weigh myself for 5-7 days as am epxecting a stall
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    tested on my ketosis strip and am still in ketosis

Alcohol can color ketostix; don't bother with the pee strips. If you meant the blood test strip, then cool, carry on.
  • jaketwin123
    Options
    yes the pee strips,how long will it take to get out of my system ? thanks