Cholesterol Results after 6 months Keto.

Options
CMYKRGB
CMYKRGB Posts: 213 Member
I started LCHF in September 2015, and evolved to ketogenic after about 30 days. I had my cholesterol checked, and it was because of high cholesterol (LDL) that my primary care doctor recommended I try LCHF.

Here are my results, side by side, with Before listed first, and After listed second:

TG: 82 -> 97 (triglycerides)
HDL: 71 -> 78
LDL: 141 -> 191 (!!!)
VLDL: 16 -> 19

...and now she's putting me on a statin because the LDL is out of control.

What am I doing wrong that I've ended up with such a ridiculously high LDL cholesterol level?

What suggestions does anyone have to naturally reduce LDL?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Saturated fats usually raise LDL. I'm a bit surprised your doc recommended LCHF if she's concerned about LDL.

If you want to try to manipulate the numbers, switch to olive oil for your main source of fat.

If your doc is really concerned, get a VAP or NMR to dig into the LDL. Chances are the particle number hasn't changed much, and it's just that the particles are bigger (and less atherogenic).

LDL goes up for about 1/3 of us on this diet. Probably genetic. Ask your doc about ApoE4, for example.
  • CMYKRGB
    Options
    What's ApoE4? The Alzheimer's gene?

I'm pretty discouraged, but am reluctant to give up this WOE. I also don't want to start on statins.
  • wabmester
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It is associated with Alz, but it's also associated with how we respond to SFA intake.

It's your choice to accept or reject statins, but your doc would just be following guidelines to recommend them. Personally, I'd look into it more. LDL is considered a risk mostly by association. It's unknown if it's still a risk in certain contexts, such as the low-inflammation environment normally associated with a LCHF diet.

Have your CRP tested for starters.
  • CMYKRGB
    Options
    Thx. I've also learned that it will interfere with thyroxine, which I have to take. Part of me wants to wait another 6 months to see if the LDL levels out once my weight stabilizes. I'm just 9 lbs away from goal.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    CMYKRGB wrote: »
    I started LCHF in September 2015, and evolved to ketogenic after about 30 days. I had my cholesterol checked, and it was because of high cholesterol (LDL) that my primary care doctor recommended I try LCHF.

Here are my results, side by side, with Before listed first, and After listed second:

What am I doing wrong that I've ended up with such a ridiculously high LDL cholesterol level?

You might inquire of @GaleHawkins, who mentioned some recent research that provided some relief regarding "elevated" LDL levels.

Your TG and HDL look good!

I'm among the LCHF folks whose LDL rose noticeably, but my HDL hasn't budged (yet). Hrrmmph...
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Years ago, before starting Keto, my doctor recommended a Red Yeast Rice supplement to 'normalize' my cholesterol numbers. It worked wonders in 3 months ... now that I'm doing keto I continue to take it and the numbers are still good. Don't know if it's necessary now but why change if it's not broken.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    LDL is the good stuff!
  • CMYKRGB
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    LDL is the good stuff!

The I believe the "good" stuff is the HDL.

@reblazed Thx, I'll look into that.

@RalfLott I'll check with him for more info. Thx!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    LDL is the good stuff!

Um, no it is definitely not the good stuff. You've got them mixed up!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

I do not give advice but I suggest you read up on how the numbers are meaningless for the first six months at least.

Dropping cholesterol too low is known to increase the risks of premature death especially if over 60 years of age.

Google will become your friend. The findings will be conflicting so do not give up.

I had to decide if I was going to use diet or Rx meds to recover my health. This may or may not be a valid for another to do.

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    LDL is the good stuff!

Um, no it is definitely not the good stuff. You've got them mixed up!

@ladipost I call LDL good stuff because if I drop it low then I am asking to speed up Alzheimer's risk developing.

Medically speaking we past prematurely without enough of both HDL and LDL.
  • CMYKRGB
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I meet with my primary care on Wednesday. It could be that my higher LDL has nothing to do with my diet. Previous cholesterol levels have always been perfect with high HDL. Last October's labs were the first time my LDL levels were elevated. Ever. And that was before I started this WOE. Perhaps it's because I hit menopause years ago. Why not? Everything else seems to have changed. Hypothyroid. Carb intolerance. Fibromyalgia. Nothing life threatening, but I'd be lying if I said this doesn't freak me out a wee bit.

Also, according to a few articles I've read, reduced thyroid function (hypothyroid), which I've had for the past two years (treated), is connected to raised LDL levels.
  • wabmester
    Options
    Oh, now that you mention it....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2856606/

Only total cholesterol, LDL-C, and apolipoprotein-B demonstrated substantial increases within the 1 year interval before and after FMP, consistent with menopause-induced changes.
  • CMYKRGB
    Options
    Hmm...that's interesting. I'll look into this relationship further. Perhaps it will level out as the body eventually adjusts.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Keep us posted. I don't really have any insights for you. My LDL and HDL each went up 16 points after my first 5 months on keto (VLDL went down 2 so total cholesterol went up 30). I am curious to see if it stabilizes over time.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I went to the doc this week for 6 month check. Last saw him mid-September; started keto last week in October. Total cholesterol went up 30. Weight went down 19 pounds. He never asked what I was eating or made any suggestion that the two major changes were correlated. The total cholesterol range is 200-240, and mine was 207. He wants me on statins. No thank you. I will be looking to find another PCP. I have been with this doc for 6 years...totally turned off after this visit. I have never had a cholesterol issue..the good one has always been too low, now it is perfect.

I am definitely interested in this as well. My DIL is an endocrine doc, and I will have a consult with her today. We discussed my previous labs when I first started, and she was very encouraging but also said that levels would most likely rise before leveling out.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I went to the doc this week for 6 month check. Total cholesterol went up 30. Weight went down 19 pounds since I last saw him. He never asked what I was eating or made any suggestion that the two major changes were correlated. The total cholesterol range is 200-240, and mine was 207. He wants me on statins. No thank you. I will be looking to find another PCP. I have been with this doc for 6 years...totally turned off after this visit.

I ran into the same thing last year. Do they not know after age 60 a total cholesterol level <200 carries a higher risk of death for us?
  • CMYKRGB
    edited April 2016
    Options
    One step I'm taking is to quit BPC, eliminate coconut oil, and use olive oil when possible instead of butter. By May, I should be at goal weight and can add more foods that help control and reduce LDL. There's definitely a link between early menopause and CHD and stroke, so there's a real concern there.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    One step I'm taking is to quit BPC, eliminate coconut oil, and use olive oil when possible instead of butter. By May, I should be at goal weight and can add more foods that help control and reduce LDL. There's definitely a link between early menopause and CHD and stroke, so there's a real concern there.

Have you tried to use Coconut Oil vs butter for BPC? Better is not a go-to fat for some reason.

Something about olive oil burns my throat going down. Have you ever experience this?
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Phinney in one of his lectures put me onto a 50-50 combination of coconut and olive oil, which you can scoop and serve like soft margarine but without the trans fats and with better taste (and perhaps without the burn).