Apple a Day April

Mihani
Mihani Posts: 3,892 Member
Hey y'all... best title I could come up with sitting here with a stuffy head and sore throat. My boss actually told me to stay home, that never happens, I think he was tired of me coughing and sneezing all over the office the past 2 days lol.

Looking forward to a good ETL month here... the weather is warming up, which makes fresh fruit and veggies more appealing to me than the heavier food I crave when it is cold. I made a good start (involuntarily I admit) last month with losing some weight and getting my eating back on track. Can't wait to start feeling better and get back to some regular exercise.

Anyone is welcome to join in the monthly thread... you don't have to be 100% ETL, we're all just doing our best around here.

Carla, hope you have some good news on the house front soon!

Replies

• Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,332 Member
    Finally some house news to share - we accepted an offer on our house! Yay! Now we just need to get through the inspection and then find a place we want to move to. All the ones we had picked out have already sold, but at least the next time one comes along we'll be in a position to put in an offer.

It has been such a gorgeous week here. Sunny skies and 65 to 70 degree (18 - 20 C) weather.

Hope everyone is now feeling healthy again and rocking their eating plans! I'll think of all of you while I'm eating my apple for the day!
  • Mihani
    Woohoo, congrats Carla! Hope we'll hear the same good news from Lia soon.

I'm still recovering from this cold, I was pretty much out for 2 days barely out of bed. Feeling a little better today, hoping that I'm back to normal tomorrow we have a busy day in the office. Eating is kind of random... some toast, non-dairy yogurt, bananas, oatmeal, soup. I did run to the office and pick up a couple files this afternoon and going to work on them for a couple hours before getting to bed early.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    I like apples :)
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    edited April 2016
    I had a week off at home with the kids. And I turned into a sloth. Literally. (!)

I didn't get groceries, I didn't work out, and I did some serious carb loading. And at the end of the week, I'm up 3 lbs. I really don't know why I do this to myself... But the good news is that it was only 3 lbs. (!) Could have been worse...

Yesterday I spent some time writing down some recipes and I got a bunch of groceries. My fridge doesn't look embarrassing anymore. I made some bean "meatballs" with sweet & sour sauce last night. It was okay; not the best recipe ever, but it'll do. I have quite a few servings in my fridge/freezer now, so at least they're not terrible.

My breakfast is quite tasty. 1 cup sliced strawberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1 cup halved raspberries, 1 tbsp walnuts, 1 tbsp almonds and cinnamon to taste. I'm enjoying it very much right now.

Lunch: green smoothie
    Dinner: probably my bean meatballs, gotta go vote tonight... (Canadian provincial elections)

Now I just need to fit in some exercise... (!)
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Happy April guys :) I love the name of the thread!

Carla, woohoo!!! So exciting for you and the load that should be off your shoulders now!! We are still waiting on our perfect buyers, sigh. Very frustrating but I am feeling like it will come.

Mihani, totally hear you with the cold. I'm still fighting it (along with everyone else, it seems like) but at least I don't have a foggy brain at work. How is work goig with your boss back?

Karrie, sounds like a nice week though! Good to have those weeks sometime. 3lbs will be back off in no time!

We leave for the Caymans in two weeks. I'm semi-panicking because I'm addicted to easter chocolate and not feeling my best and also because I really wanted our house sold before then. Sigh. I am a little more motivated to eat well and feel better before I go though, so I feel ready for the week and armed with healthy groceries.

Happy Monday everyone :)

Hi Sloth!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    liapr wrote: »

Hi Sloth!

Me? Or Karrie? Apparently, there are two of us now. :) I'd just like to say for the record, that I enjoy being a sloth. A fat sloth, not so much, but a sloth in general, I'm good with that. :wink:
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    HI all,

Carrie: congrats on the sale of your house! so exciting

Mahini and Lia: feel better soon

Sloth and Karrie: I am with ya, haven't made it to the gym in a week feeling a little sluggish.

My daughter took the job that was her first interview in NYC. We have been busy trying to find a room mate and a place to live in the city. We actually found a room mate now the two of them need to find a place in their budget.

With that done it is time to move on the graduation party planning. It will be a lot of fun. I rented out an entire bed and breakfast lodge for my family and plan on having a party the night before graduation.

My son also found a job for the summer so feeling a little more set with the kiddos.

Dr. Fuhrman's new book came out today. The End of Hear Disease. I plan on reading it on my way to his office for a follow up visit. I can say the diet has helped quite a bit but not entirely yet. Two things I need to do is have a perfect month of eating then the next thing would be a long term water fast but......who has time to do a 10 to 14 day water fast.

Signing out from snowy New England

• Mihani
    Whew, glad I chose something Sloth approved this month lol.

Karrie, sounds like a lovely week! How did your recipes turn out?

Lia, hoping for good news soon on the house. I hope you are feeling better. My cold is still lingering, but definitely getting better. I so need a good night’s sleep. The stupid cough has been making uninterrupted sleep elusive. So glad you are getting a vacation and getting away from everything for a little bit.

Terri, congrats to your daughter! The party sounds like it will be wonderful. I’ll be interested to hear what you think of Dr. F’s new book.

I am still not 100% ETL here… my appetite comes and goes depending on how I feel day to day with being sick so much. I sure hope that this is the last of being sick for a bit. I am so behind on everything now. And I want to feel well enough to get back to the treadmill, but I don’t want to push it too soon.

B – oatmeal with banana, a few walnuts, cinnamon
    L – hummus, a few blue corn chips, carrot sticks, grape tomatoes, strawberries
    S – 2 cups air popped popcorn, lara bar
    D – not sure yet, either split pea soup from the freezer or a hummus wrap with loads of lettuce

• tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Mahini: hope your cough goes away soon. That is no fun :(. I have found that cardio helps improve a cough quicker for me.

Skimmed thru his book a little bit. Looks like more of the same but will read it more in depth next week.

• whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    The recipes were all good. Nothing that I'm gonna yell off the rooftops about, but good. And I'm down the 3 lbs now, so I think I can finally start losing new lbs!! :wink:

My goal is to try to get rid of 10 more lbs this month... Gonna keep following a bunch of new recipes and see if I find any new favorites. And I have to get a routine on the treadmill. No more false starts!!
  • Mihani
    Well, the cough is better and yesterday I graduated to a sniffly, sneezy, nose like a faucet you can't turn off mess lol. This is awful... I can't remember when I've ever been sick this long. I am tired of it! I sure hope this is the last stage and that by tomorrow, or even later on today, I'll be feeling back to somewhat normal.

I did stop at the store last night and got stuff to make this: ohsheglows.com/2016/04/03/glowing-spiced-lentil-soup/ but by the time I got home I was too tired and had grabbed a frozen daiya pizza so I just heated that up instead. It wasn't too good, I ate a couple pieces and threw the rest out. Tonight I'll make the soup. Also going to make the copycat panera black bean soup. And got ingredients for a southwest tofu scramble and the OSG noodle bowl for later on in the week. I have made the peanut noodle bowl so I want to try the orange miso one. I have everything except the miso, can never find that in the regular grocery so I'll have to stop at the organic store.

I think I'm going to stay home from the office and work here today, and I'll go in tomorrow. That way I can nap if needed and get cooking and laundry done, and I have some files in my briefcase I can work on here at home.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Sorry I've been so quiet. I've been playing around a bit with intermittent fasting (16:8). I'm wanting to see if it affects my insulin, and thus, would encourage the little menopot to dissolve. So far my results are *promising*.... But I'm being cautiously optimistic. I like the title of the thread!
  • Mihani
    Hi Sabine... good to see you. I have tried intermittent fasting... intermittently haha.

The OSG spiced lentil soup turned out great. The blog said she thinks it is better than her red lentil kale soup... I don't know if I would go that far, the red lentil kale is about my favorite soup ever, but this one is really really good too, and super easy to throw together. I'll definitely be adding it to my favorite soups repertoire. I also made the black bean soup, and threw together a pot of the red lentil kale since I had everything out and was chopping anyway. I will freeze some of the soups and the rest will make easy dinners this week.
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    hi guys:

Sorry I have also been pretty MIA. Nice to hear that everyone is around and doing their own things and doesn't sound like any meltdowns, woohoo! Hehe.

I have been struggling with food stuff so much during the course of this house selling stuff, BUT we have a conditional sale. Conditions last until this Thursday so cross your fingers for me please. I'm so afraid to hope that it works out! But I really hope it does. I've been taking it so personally and really stressing about it constantly, and I am most definitely eating my feelings...

We are heading away on vacation next week, feels like the first in a long time, and I'm really looking forward to it. I am looking forward to taking it all in. I just hope the house is sold and done before then so I can really savor it! Am feeling a bit like a whale heading to the beach though, sigh. So this week I am focusing on healthy foods to try and pick my energy back up.

Mihani, was wondering how that new soup recipe was! Good to know, I love lentil soup. We made her noodle bowl this weekend actually - the thai peanut one - and also her goddess bowl, which I've never tried before. I'll try at lunch and see how it goes!

Terri, congrats to your daughter!
    Sabine, exciting to hear about your IF experiment. How are you feeling comparatively?
    Karrie, awesome job with those pounds!!!
  • Mihani
    Lia, all my fingers and toes are crossed for the sale to go through! A vacation sounds like just what the doctor ordered. I have had that goddess bowl bookmarked forever and haven't tried it either. How was it?

I did better today... this is the first time in weeks I've really felt okay. Other than my face is all red and chapped from blowing my nose about 10,000 times over the past few days lol. I have been packing lots of lotion on it all day. And I appear to be mostly over the cold. I'm going to bed early again tonight and hope that by tomorrow I'm really over it. I am so far behind, brought home a few files to work on tonight. I will try to get a half hour in on the treadmill tonight, kind of depends on how long my work takes me and how I feel. I'm pretty wiped out still.

B - raw fit, sprouted grain toast w/ a tsp of peanut butter, mandarin
    L - raw fit, silk yogurt, apple
    D - spiced lentil soup
    probably have some melon or grapes a little later

I decided to add the raw fit protein to breakfast and lunch for the week, I feel like I need a little protein boost after all this sickness. I have no particular reason or basis for that belief, just going with it :p. I haven't been in the mood for salad at all, I'm sure that is partly the sore throat and all that. I'll get back to salads for lunch after this week and just do a raw fit in the mornings.
  • Mihani
    Another good day... definitely on the mend. Going to treadmill tonight yay!

B - raw fit and sprouted grain toast
    L - raw fit, apple, a few almonds
    D - spiced lentil soup, sprouted grain toast

The raw fit is helping me to regulate my appetite better. I have not had any snacks at all the past two days. I am going to stick with 2 a day for the rest of the week then cut back to just breakfast or lunch.
  • GillianETL
    GillianETL Posts: 8 Member
    Hello everyone, I'm so happy to have found this group! Looking forward to getting to know everyone, learning, supporting others and being inspired. I've had a few false starts on ETL but I'm really passionate this time about making it my full time, lifelong lifestyle! Goals are: to lose some weight (unsure how much, 20-40 lbs, we'll see where ETL takes me), enjoy how amazing I feel when eating this way, avoid diabetes and live a long healthy life so I can be around for my daughter. I hope everyone is having a good month so far!
  • Mihani
    Welcome Gillian! Glad to have you here. I agree with the feeling amazing when following ETL. Things have been a little quiet here this week, but there are some really nice folks hanging out here. Looking forward to getting to know you. :) Is your blood sugar high now or do you have a family history of diabetes? Just curious since you mention avoiding it. Are you doing the 6 week plan or are you in the life plan stage?
  • Mihani
    Hey ya'll... another decent day. I am getting tired though. I have pushed really hard this week at work trying to catch up after having that stupid cold for so long. Plus, tax time ugh.

B - raw fit and sprouted grain toast
    L - steamer bag of veggies with some soy sauce, apple
    D - red lentil kale soup
    S - silk yogurt

I think I really have had an apple a day so far this month!
  • GillianETL
    GillianETL Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    Hi Mihai, my dad died from diabetes (type 2) complications rather young so I'm at higher risk. My doctor gave me a number to stay under to avoid the same fate and my weight is slowly creeping up past that. I'm doing my best to follow the 6 week plan but some days it looks more like a maintenance plan instead :/ Just reading everything here and trying to stay on track. Had a 4lb weight loss in the first 3 days I got back to nutritarianism so that was great motivation for me!