What's your exercise backup plan?

Options
singletrackmtbr
singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
You're a runner but it just snowed. Your DVD player is broken so you can't do P90x. The pool is closed because someone left a Baby Ruth in it (if you haven't seen Caddyshack, rent it today). The gym is closed today. You busted your bike frame.

What's your backup plan? How do you get creative in a pinch to make sure you get your *kitten*-kicking time in?

Here's a few of mine:

1. I used to go to the gym when my kids were young (free child watch), but eventually gave it up. I was hitting a plateau I couldn't bust through, and hated waiting for equipment, not to mention dealing with all the gym-types:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1GUQVo1Lps

* a little bit of language, but worth watching! Sorry for the "racy" thumbnail, it's just what shows up when I link to this video!

For the last 4 years I've been building a home gym in my garage. It's nothing special but it has everything I need: Powerblocks, bench, physioball, bands, jumprope, pullup and dip bar, etc. I also have a monitor in there so I can do DVD workouts and play music.

My gym is open 24-7, so no excuses there!

2. No time for a workout? Search YouTube for a million workouts that take less than 10 minutes and will still kick your butt. Many of them are cardio and bodyweight, so you can do them anywhere. Here's an oldie but a goodie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSoo78V84YY

3. Traveling and your hotel gym is lacking? Can't get out for a run or ride? Bodyweight workouts and HIIT is your best friend. They often don't require space or equipment. I also bring bands with me on trips as a resistance alternative (if you don't have bands I recommend them: they can add to your workouts in so many ways, especially changing strength curves).

How do you get creative in a pinch?

Replies

• amphilion
    amphilion Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If gym is closed, outside is a no go due to the weather, and my cycling bike is busted, then its my boxing bag, my bands, and free weights. For cardio, I also jump rope, jumping jacks, sit up, push up, squats. I try to be creative!

Yoga at home also to help with flexibility.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    I like it! I need to work more yoga in, it's my Achilles heel. Whenever I do it I get immediate benefits but it always seems to take a back seat. I think I have undiagnosed ADHD, I have a very hard time being still!
  • amphilion
    Options
    I get you. I used to never do yoga since I am not the meditation type. I have to much on my mind, and not a relax kind of person.
    Ever since I started doing muscular yoga, I have been in love with it. I do this class every friday evening at 6pm, and it just feels good to stretch your whole body. Mireille, who gives the class, loves making us sweat during yoga.:)
  • thehoss316
    thehoss316 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, weights, and a plyo mat in my basement. The only stopping me is my house burning down...at which point I'm thinking exercise may not be the largest priority.

A great routine is always a Google search and some exploring away!
  • mystcfolly
    mystcfolly Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yoga, open up zova and look for some moves.... During my vacation, I've got a free pass to a gym with a pool. I always have my jump rope as well. This trip, I'll be doing some functional exercises with my father to help him with movement. I'm running a virtual 5k with my daughter and we will be hiking at the beach. I think I'm set for this trip.

And since I work at a gym with an indoor track, I don't ever have an excuse for not finding time. LOL
  • LaurenNotLaura
    LaurenNotLaura Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been building up my home gym as well. I have a treadmill, just got some resistance bands, and I use my chromecast to use YouTube videos on my tv. So I do yoga, Pilates, hiit, pretty much anything my little heart desires lol
  • Weights4me
    Weights4me Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those annoying people that carries around a duffle bag at the gym. All my gear is in there, and that's my back-up plan: gloves, jump-rope, sliders, rubber ball, long bands, short bands, music, and a new addition of cable handles (because you can never find them in my gym).

If all else fails, and there's no equipment on hand, I also carry a deck of cards. Assign one body exercise (burpees, jumping jacks, push-ups, etc) to each suit. Shuffle the deck and perform your exercise in the amount of the card face (Royalty cards being 10 each). A different workout every time. Takes about 30-35 minutes.

I also carry my iPad on trips and follow routines I've pinned.
  • singletrackmtbr
    Options
    I'm one of those annoying people that carries around a duffle bag at the gym. All my gear is in there, and that's my back-up plan: gloves, jump-rope, sliders, rubber ball, long bands, short bands, music, and a new addition of cable handles (because you can never find them in my gym).

If all else fails, and there's no equipment on hand, I also carry a deck of cards. Assign one body exercise (burpees, jumping jacks, push-ups, etc) to each suit. Shuffle the deck and perform your exercise in the amount of the card face (Royalty cards being 10 each). A different workout every time. Takes about 30-35 minutes.

I also carry my iPad on trips and follow routines I've pinned.

I love 52 pickup!
  • Weights4me
    Weights4me Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm realizing we have a lot in common. I'm trying hard not to stalk you, lol.
  • jlc102980
    jlc102980 Posts: 137 Member
    Options

This is such a fantastic idea! It also gives me flashbacks, as it's how my CrimLaw professor used to decide who to call on in class. Nothing like waiting for your number to come up.
  • amphilion
    edited April 2016
    Options

Love the idea of the deck of cards. Will try it for sure. Thanks for the tip nylifitnessgirl

• singletrackmtbr
    Options
    I'm realizing we have a lot in common. I'm trying hard not to stalk you, lol.

Lots of witnesses here
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Fitness channels or my elliptical is my backup plan if my workout dvds don't workout. I have dumbbell, resistance bands, skipping rope and old school elliptical as well
  • fontes830
    fontes830 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Biking