[Meet Report] 465kg/1025lbs @ 112.8kg/249lbs | 271.61 Wilks | USAPL Oregon State Championships

Options
Eddie__Jones
Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
all 9 attempts in 90 seconds

Background: This was my first meet. I started SL 5X5 with an empty bar Oct 31, 2015 Training for something will help me stick to my weightloss goals.

Training: I followed the SL 5x5 app 3 times per week.

Weight Cut: I was 285 in Oct and competed at 120kg/248lbs. I’d like to make the 105kg class for the next meet.
Meet Day: Nervous about fat guy wearing singlet in public. I got over it.

Squats: Didn’t warm up, my flight squats much heavier than I do. They started at at 225 and kept adding plates. They were warming up with more than I’ve ever attempted.
1st attempt: 125kg (275.5lbs) gym pr is 315lbs. Wanted to just get a good lift something I knew I could do. Didn’t drive 2 hours to bomb out. Make.
2nd attempt: 137.5kg (303.13lbs) Didn’t get deep enough. Miss.
3rd attempt: 140kg (308.64lbs) Should have tried for 350lbs. Now that I look back not a lot of difference between 303 and 308. Make.

Bench: Got to the warm area earlier this time. So I could warm up with my 135 lol
1st attempt: 80kg (176.37lbs) Easy opener. Make.
2nd attempt: 105kg (231.485lbs) Felt easy. Gym pr is 235. Make.
3rd attempt: 112.5kg (248lbs) This is 13lbs over my best bench. I surprised how easy it felt. So happy about that I jumped the rack command. Oops. Miss.

Deadlift: Waited to long again to get back to the warm up area. My flight was warming up with more weight than I’ve ever pulled. Didn’t warm up.
1st attempt: 137.5kg (303lbs) Easy opener. Make.
2nd attempt: 182.5kg (402lbs) gym pr is 405. Felt easy Make.
3rd attempt: 220kg (485lbs) This is an 80lb pr. Make.

Conclusion: Went 7/9 at my first meet. Happy with setting two PR’s. Should have gone for more on the squat. Ended up hitting my top 2 goals for the meet which were 1) don't bomb out and 2) hit a 1000+ total. Had a great time.

Replies

• DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Very nice job.

Advice I'll give is that you can change the weights to what you need. Just because other people are lifting more/less than you can doesn't mean you can't warm up. No one will care as everyone needs to warm-up, and if they do...*kitten* em.

Also you may want to adjust attempts for squat. Your Bench and Deadlift looked to be just about perfect.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! And I agree, just say "hey, can I work in with you? I need the bar at x" I have yet to meet anyone at any level who would say no.

I remember at nationals this year, everyone in the room was sharing the benches, just going for whichever one wasn't in active use when you needed to take your next warmup. It's really not a big deal
  • zorahgail
    zorahgail Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your meet! I remember watching you lift; I was there supporting some of my teammates. Hope to see you at future meets @eazy__