Fitbit double-adding food totals?

Options
DianeinCA
DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
I keep track of my food in MFP and my exercise in FB, and I have the two linked. Normally, the two talk together very well. Recently, however, Fitbit has been double-adding certain food totals, making it seem as though I've eaten hundreds (sometimes thousands) of calories over what I've entered into MFP. Anybody else seen this?

Replies

• NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me occasionally. I've never been able to find a pattern to figure out the cause. I look on MFP to see what the actual meal calorie count was, then go onto the Fitbit food page and delete the extras.

It's a pain, but I sometimes use the average calories in vs. calorie burned figures (on my Fitbit profile page) to compute the accuracy of my Fitbit (and/or food logging - any discrepancies between expected weight change and actual weight change could be due to errors in either), so I like to keep Fitbit's numbers accurate.
  • message4michelle
    message4michelle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've had this issue as well. I often track all my meals first thing in the morning. It seems that whatever I add to MFP is also added to FB. But sometimes I delete things from MFT because I don't actually eat them, and I add other things in their place. The items I delete from MFP don't get removed from FB. At least I think that's what's happening...
  • NancyN795
    Options
    I've had this issue as well. I often track all my meals first thing in the morning. It seems that whatever I add to MFP is also added to FB. But sometimes I delete things from MFT because I don't actually eat them, and I add other things in their place. The items I delete from MFP don't get removed from FB. At least I think that's what's happening...

That was my hypothesis at one point as well - that editing a previously entered meal was what caused it. Then, at some point I was able to conclusively prove that wasn't the case. A meal that I entered by just copying from a previous day, and that I didn't edit, ended up with multiple meal summaries in Fitbit, only one of which was correct.
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    DianeinCA wrote: »
    I keep track of my food in MFP and my exercise in FB, and I have the two linked. Normally, the two talk together very well. Recently, however, Fitbit has been double-adding certain food totals, making it seem as though I've eaten hundreds (sometimes thousands) of calories over what I've entered into MFP. Anybody else seen this?

Just got mine. Charge HR. I did find if I made a edit on MFP I would get a double entry on FB. Just deleted it. When giving MFP permission to access FB it did say on the instruction page only to use MFP for logging both exercise and food to avoid problems?
  • NancyN795
    Options
    DianeinCA wrote: »

Just got mine. Charge HR. I did find if I made a edit on MFP I would get a double entry on FB. Just deleted it. When giving MFP permission to access FB it did say on the instruction page only to use MFP for logging both exercise and food to avoid problems?

MFP wants you to log everything here because it keeps your eyeballs on their site. Don't listen to them. Log your exercise in Fitbit and your food in MFP. In my experience the double food entry in Fitbit is an occasional, but infrequent, problem and I just delete the extras.

I'd recommend that you read the FAQ in the stickies, if you haven't already. Here's a handy link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    NancyN795 wrote: »
    Log your exercise in Fitbit and your food in MFP. In my experience the double food entry in Fitbit is an occasional, but infrequent, problem and I just delete the extras.

I'd recommend that you read the FAQ in the stickies, if you haven't already. Here's a handy link: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

Thats what I've been doing. The benefit is the food from MFP is moved over to FB and the cals in and out gives me a better idea of surplus & deficit. What am I'm looking for in the FAQ?

• NancyN795
    Options
    What am I'm looking for in the FAQ?

Mainly the fact that there is no reason to log exercise in MFP since you seemed to be wondering if logging food in MFP and exercise in Fitbit was potentially causing problems. However, if you haven't read it, there's lots of good info there.
  • fozzy711
    fozzy711 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Same problem for me with my new fitbit alta. There is a thread on fb forums that says it was solved a while ago but it is definitely happening to me still - https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Third-Party-Integrations/MyFitnessPal-entries-are-being-multiplied-on-Fitbit/m-p/1003190#M8062
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It's easy to delete extra entries on fitbit. But yesterday it listed a meal (which i didnt edit in mfp) for 120 calories more than it was in mfp. You cant edit it on fitbit, and i didn't want to delete the whole thing, so i had to leave it there :angry:
  • NancyN795
    Options
    It's easy to delete extra entries on fitbit. But yesterday it listed a meal (which i didnt edit in mfp) for 120 calories more than it was in mfp. You cant edit it on fitbit, and i didn't want to delete the whole thing, so i had to leave it there :angry:

That's weird - they're always coming up with new bugs for us. :/ I've always been able to identify the "correct" meal and delete the rest. I'd probably edit the meal in MFP, then edit it back to what it was, and see if that fixed it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Wow - hope that new little bug wasn't the result of them thinking they fixed something.

That's really bad, 1 meal total and it's wrong.
  • rickreicker
    rickreicker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the most infuriating problem ever - EVER - Cant tell if MFP is writing to apple watch and watch is writing agin to MFP. When I check the MFP website it counts double my totals shown on the phone. It's a really screwed up problem.
  • gamespriteicon
    gamespriteicon Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It happened to me a while ago and now it's started again but mainly when I make changes on MFP, such as adding my B&L for the day and ending up eating it for snack instead and moving it.
    1. I delete FB meal line (breakfast as example)
    2. MFP go to the same meal line (breakfast, eggs as example) and click on an item as if to change the serving size, don't change anything just click save
    3. FB will re-save the meal correctly (breakfast # are sinc'd correctly)
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I just joined MFP and entered my meals into MFP and when they sync'd up MFP had added a SUMMARY line to my FB meal plans which caused my calories to blow thru the roof. I had to go and delete the MFP summary lines and all was back to normal. I will assume I will only be using MFP to log my foods from now on. I will see how it goes, but preliminary look for me is MFP database is a little better then FB. Scanned a bar code with FB for red seedless grapes and it came up not in the database. MFP however, had it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes - the instructions during setup say to don't log food in both places - you've discovered why.
    That instruction did have good reason behind it.
    Some of them don't.