Favorite cardio exercise machines

Options
Jthanmyfitnesspal
Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
Hi Folks,

What are your favorite cardio machines, where do you use them, and why?

My #1 is an Precor Elliptical with arm motion which I use at the gym. It gives a smooth natural motion and I can work out hard (sometimes too hard) without much soreness later.

My #2 is the Precor Adaptive Motion Trainer (AMT). I use it for variety, but I don't feel like I get as good a workout.

I'm thinking of getting something for home. Any pointers in that direction would be appreciated. The prices of the Precors are steep!

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I used to really love the rowing machine until I was taught how to do it properly, then I didn't love it any more.

I had a recumbent bike at home and used to love it, then it became not a challenge for me ....

Now, as part of rehabbing my ankle, I go on the elliptical, which I don't hate as much as you'd think ... and I hear all about golf, the election, the Belgium bombing .....
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,972 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I used to really love the rowing machine until I was taught how to do it properly, then I didn't love it any more.

There's a proper way to use a rowing machine? Hmmm… time to go Googling…

Well, imagine that… http://dailyburn.com/life/fitness/rowing-machine-mistakes/
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Mostlywater: You are too funny!

So true about seeing more news than you might need. The one I typically use faces CNN.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    At the gym I just rotate through all the cardio machines, except the treadmill, hate that thing. Right now I'm into the stairmaster. I also run at the gym for 10 to 15 minutes on the basketball court for cardio.

We have a stationary bike at home I never use so I doubt I'd buy anything for home use. I do get out with the dog for a long walk/run 2 or 3 days a week though.

Good luck deciding, if I were going to buy something I'd probably go for the elliptical.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Wattbike Pro - it's a professional standard cycle trainer. Allows me to be far more technical in my training using a power meter and also gives information on cycling efficiency etc... I mainly use it for winter training in my local gym - this winter worked on increasing my natural lazy cadence and also leg power for hills. Currently mostly doing hi/low intervals, building up to 12 minute intervals, it's a killer!

eSpinning bike - a Spinning bike with a TV screen. Very stable and with a good flywheel, great for intervals, hill climb simulations, standing cycling and TV makes it more enjoyable. I use it during my "lunch breaks" at my work gym.

Concept2 rower - great (almost full body) cardio workout. My go to when I'm in a rush, add in some press ups and sit ups and you have a full body workout. Also use it as a warm up before weights when my back is creaky.
    (Check out their site as it's full of useful info - one of the best but also most frequently badly used pieces of cardio equipment.)

Cybex ARC trainer - posh elliptical. Interestingly varied movement. Can get an effective and pretty full body workout done. Just for variety really. Work gym.

Elliptical or cycle trainer - long duration winter volume training. Watching a built-in TV is a nice bit of multi-tasking for long duration cardio (such as endurance base building).

One that didn't work for me was a turbo trainer to put my road bike on. By the time I have set it up I might as well go to my local gym and use higher standard equipment. Now a dust collector like a lot of home cardio equipment.

But as the weather improves my main "cardio" is road cycling. Too old and slow to compete (except with myself) so I do Audax events (a.k.a. eating competitions held in beautiful countryside). 200km is the classic distance but there's quite a variety, very popular with older riders.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My favorite machine? The bike path near my house that runs along the river. :smile:
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I use the good treadmill at the firehall for interval runs and inclined walks. We're getting a Concept II rower this year. I used that a lot when I was going to the University gym.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    Hi Folks,

What are your favorite cardio machines, where do you use them, and why?

Well, rowing shells, but I use a Concept 2 rowing machine (erg) in the season when our river gets crunchy. I have one at home, but also use them when I practice with my breast cancer survivors rowing team at the local university in winter.

Why? I'm a rower. It's what we do. But seriously:
    • Uses a wider range of muscles than most machines
    • Once you know the correct technique, you can get as hard a workout as you'd like (however hard that is)
    • One activity can give you anything from steady-state to max-effort intense intervals like Tabatas
    • Concept 2 web site has an excellent online community, lots of information, challenges to participate in, virtual teams (there's an "MFP Friends" team) , rankings by age/sex/distance/etc, workouts and much more.
    • There are actual real-life races for these across the US (and elsewhere)
    • The C2 machines are built to last, if you're looking for something to own

Don't get me wrong, I like my spin classes, too, not to mention my actual bike, and canoes/kayak, but - if I can't row an actual rowing shell - a Concept 2 rowing machine is a good workout.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    For now, the elliptical we have at home and my bike on the road. I'm not sure if I would like a good bike trainer, but suspect it would be an option. And rowers interest me as well. I think I might enjoy the interactive devices that connect online, but have taken my time about considering what is worth the money and space involved.

But for anyone that wants equipment for home use, do your homework and find sources that you can search. We own an older Precor elliptical that was a complete steal in comparison to the new costs. I'd imagine with some research and patience those deals are out there on a lot of other equipment types. And you can often get high quality or commercial quality stuff which can often be refurbished if needed, and most of it will last a lifetime in home use.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have a cheap-o elliptical I bought at Wal-Mart 15 months ago and parts are falling off but it still works and I actually get a very good workout from it. I also have a rowing machine. Beats me if I am doing it right, but my kitties enjoy watching. My best machines are my feet. I run or walk every day. I also exercise to videos on youtube. Free is best. The only bad part is no one is telling me if I am doing stuff right or not. That being said, I have not suffered any injuries and have lost the weight I wanted to lose.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    At the gym I use tredmill to warm up & occasionally use the rower
    Spin bikes are my thing.. I just love them
  • clynns54
    clynns54 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have a used spinning bike at home and its my favorite!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I use the elliptical and the rower as my main gym cardio. I suffer through the stair master and a bike occasionally.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I love my tried and true treadmill. It has I-fit; built in TV; and apps. I can walk/jog the Wall of China and/or race against other people. I bought it on Craig's List for a very good price. The only way I'd improve on it is to have a decline setting; and maybe a better sound system and enhanced system software.
  • telynau
    telynau Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My favourite indoor equipment, NordicTrak Sequoia cross country ski unit. Been using one since 1994; bought this one for home in 1996.

It still gets good use, especially in the rainy season now. Before relocating, it was in daily use during icy season. Summertime sees more "skiing", too when heat and humidity are approaching triple digits.

I Nordic walk for daily cardio exercise; nice to have that option indoors. The upper body movement is different with the NordicTrak, using a pull rather than a push. Gives the upper body muscles a different workout.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    telynau wrote: »
    My favourite indoor equipment, NordicTrak Sequoia cross country ski unit. Been using one since 1994; bought this one for home in 1996.

That is a classic, one of the first well designed pieces of home aerobic exercise equipment. I've owned one myself. Party on, dude!