Did you tell your doctor you were doing LCHF/Keto etc

Options

Replies

• chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Started seeing my current Dr. in January and I was very up front about my diet. His entire staff pretty much does South Beach. He was pretty chill with low carb and keto. And recently when I went back after dropping 30 lbs in two months, he was ecstatic LOL. He is stressing I get in enough protein and take a multi vitamin if I don't eat a lot of veggies, but that's the only comment he's made about my diet.
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »
    I am diabetic and had a heart "event" that required 4 stents just over a year ago. In the hospital, they put me on insulin and follow-up care told me i should stay on insulin. During cardiac rehab, the diabetic nutritionist told me to eat at least 164g of carbs a day!!! Double whammy with the carbs and insulin! I have gained 25 lbs since i followed that regimen. However, 2 days ago started HFLC and dropped 8 lbs of water weight, plus feel more energetic and less achy already. So, will continue this new regimen for a while to see how it works!

I love it when people follow their own advise. Congrats on doing what YOU think is right.
  • eileenhernandez456
    eileenhernandez456 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I don't even get it it anyone unless they ask... I know it's working for me and my health and energy has never been better.
  • cairnsmom
    cairnsmom Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    "What you're doing is working. Keep doing it." That's all my doc has said. I've seen him for over 15 years, so he knows the challenges I've had losing weight.
  • Treysar
    Treysar Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My doctor is the one who suggested a low carb diet.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Lucky I've got a great MD PCP who is also seriously into natural remedies. Had him since I moved to this town 34 years ago. He is a tall lean runner in his late 60's who is a member of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, he's a locavore, and a supporter of community/public radio and any other slightly counterculture initiative you can think of. A man after my own heart, lol. He's the one who first suggested being seriously gluten free 6 yrs ago (celiac style - for my fibromyalgia) and is a great supporter of whatever ideas I have and research I have done and discusses them in depth. This means that often there is a bit of a wait in his office as appointments may be longer than originally scheduled but I appreciate the time & care he takes. He suggests natural supplements that may help different issues but never hesitates when a prescription drug or surgery is actually needed. He is semi-retired and I'm not sure what I will do when he really decides to 'close shop'...
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Lucky I've got a great MD PCP who is also seriously into natural remedies. Had him since I moved to this town 34 years ago. He is a tall lean runner in his late 60's who is a member of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, he's a locavore, and a supporter of community/public radio and any other slightly counterculture initiative you can think of. A man after my own heart, lol. He's the one who first suggested being seriously gluten free 6 yrs ago (celiac style - for my fibromyalgia) and is a great supporter of whatever ideas I have and research I have done and discusses them in depth. This means that often there is a bit of a wait in his office as appointments may be longer than originally scheduled but I appreciate the time & care he takes. He suggests natural supplements that may help different issues but never hesitates when a prescription drug or surgery is actually needed. He is semi-retired and I'm not sure what I will do when he really decides to 'close shop'...

Cool a new term, "locavore" never heard of that, but I knew the principle. I updated my terms blog. Thank you!

Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Updated

Dan the Man from Michigan
    Keto / The Recipe Water Fasting / E.A.S.Y. Exercise Program
    v1bk0hqkhxv5.jpg

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »

He sounds awesome!
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I've lost some weight since the last time I was there so I'm sure my doctor will be curious about what I've changed. I've had my blood work done maybe a year ago with no problems. I'm 27. Not sure if that means she'll do blood work again this time. But I'm just curious how your doctor reacted to LCHF?

voso650j0cqd.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is Do you have a relationship with trust? If not, follow the fish and keep your mouth shut, plus find a doctor that you can trust so that you can mutually create a healthier you. I spoke with the medical centre and said I wanted to see a Dr who had a better wholistic approach than telling me it's life.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I've always just used quick clinics when sick. What does a primary care physician do? How do you find one? My family never had a family doctor before even when I was a kid. I have a gyno from my pregnancy, but I don't get the primary care stuff.

My work does annual testing of blood and stuff and I've always been super awesome so not totally stressed on it, but thinking it's a good idea to get a doctor for my husband and I. (Kiddo has a great pediatrician, I wish she was my doctor!)

All the stuff your kid's pediatrician does for her, a primary care doc would do for you and your husband - stuff like following any chronic conditions; seeing you for well visits if you wanted, seeing you for minor injuries or sick visits, writing prescriptions, and so on - and usually the copay for a primary doc is WAY less than the copay for quick clinics or urgent care!! (for example when we had insurance an office visit copay was $15 per visit - Urgent Care copay was $50 per!)

For us, doc in a box or primary care physician is same copay and I have no chronic conditions, so it is just easier 99% of the time to roll into the urgent care clinic about 15 min before official opening time, be first on the list and get seen for whatever ailment I have going on.

Now that I work at a large hospital, I can use their employee health services for free (no co-pay, obviously pay for any meds/treatments) but I haven't needed to yet. I did just get a free health screening with blood work including A1c and cholesterol though.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I was at my doctor's office to get a synthroid refill and he handed me a Banting diet worksheet and told me to look up Tim Noakes. So I would say he is on board
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes, I brought a study showing health improvement among people with my disposition at the time (high cholesterol, obesity, family history of diabetes) and she said yes to a trial run. :) My cholesterol levels are normal now!
  • KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Yes, I brought a study showing health improvement among people with my disposition at the time (high cholesterol, obesity, family history of diabetes) and she said yes to a trial run. :)My cholesterol levels are normal now!

Awesome! Were/are you doing anything specifically for cholesterol? My husband has very high cholesterol (400+) and it has just marginally lowered in 18 months of LCHF. He loves red meat and I worry that maybe he shouldn't eat so much of it.

::flowerforyou::
  • megemrj
    megemrj Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Went to the Dr. for tests yesterday. Had an ultrasound tech ask if I have pain after eating, especially fatty food. I told her no and asked if my gallbladder look bad. She didn't answer but seemed unsure. I told her I do lchf so I'm pretty sure I'd know by now if I had pain. She then proceeds to tell me I need to watch that and that I'm at risk of developing ketoacidosis! Also in her rant, it's not a good diet long term and started comparing it to her grapefruit diet she did years ago.

I told her she was misinformed, ketosis and Ketoacidosis are different situations. She became very huffy about it. Next thing I know I see the Dr, who mentions I need to watch my reaction to fatty foods. That the tech was concerned. He wisely says he knows I'm not there to discuss my diet and moves onto another discussion.

Other than being told I may want to mention it to my family Dr, neither expanded on what was up with the Gallbladder or even said it was bad or going bad.

I'm not nor ever have been diabetic, prediabetic, or alcoholic in my life. I asked questions about that Gallbladder multiple times and neither would say. Got a very bad vibe as this is only the 2nd appt at this office.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    megemrj wrote: »
    Went to the Dr. for tests yesterday. Had an ultrasound tech ask if I have pain after eating, especially fatty food. I told her no and asked if my gallbladder look bad. She didn't answer but seemed unsure. I told her I do lchf so I'm pretty sure I'd know by now if I had pain. She then proceeds to tell me I need to watch that and that I'm at risk of developing ketoacidosis! Also in her rant, it's not a good diet long term and started comparing it to her grapefruit diet she did years ago.

I told her she was misinformed, ketosis and Ketoacidosis are different situations. She became very huffy about it. Next thing I know I see the Dr, who mentions I need to watch my reaction to fatty foods. That the tech was concerned. He wisely says he knows I'm not there to discuss my diet and moves onto another discussion.

Other than being told I may want to mention it to my family Dr, neither expanded on what was up with the Gallbladder or even said it was bad or going bad.

I'm not nor ever have been diabetic, prediabetic, or alcoholic in my life. I asked questions about that Gallbladder multiple times and neither would say. Got a very bad vibe as this is only the 2nd appt at this office.

Wow. I would switch dr.'s.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

Wow. I would switch dr.'s.

@megemrj -

3u7q2amjg6xk.jpg

• megemrj
    Options
    Lol. Seriously considering it. I was there for 4-5 hours doing these tests. With a 30 minute break at lunch. I almost just went home on the break, by that point I was so irritated.

Bad thing and most aggravating is that this office advertises offering "progressive" care. When I called to discuss scheduling the 1st appointment, I made sure to tell them I eat as cleanly as possible, high fat, and am adverse to taking prescription medications. I also stressed that if their office wouldn't be open to that then we would not be a good fit.

Of course, I was assured the Dr and nurse practitioner were fine with it and saw many women with different lifestyles. Had no idea I needed to ask about the ultrasound tech!

To top it off, I had a reaction to one of the tests. There was no chemical or substance involved just the test itself. I was told it's a very common reaction evidently which makes your insulin drop. I had to drink coke (they gave me) to get it back up. If they know it's a common reaction, why wasn't I told before? I could have planned for it and brought my own snack. I haven't had a full sugar drink in a very long time, I honestly can't even remember when. I only drank half and poured the rest out.

So after that "sugar hell" and further tests, I drove home, an hour away mind you, and was so sluggish I had to take a small nap. 5 HOURS later, I woke with a headache and my Raynaud's going crazy. Here it is a good 21 hours later and I've still got a headache!! At least the Raynaud's is finally calmed down.

Yep, thinking about switching. Just left my old Dr due to he's out of network but thinking I may go back and just pay the difference because he was awesome. We never discussed my diet...

BTW - I did mention doing Keto to my family doctor who was of the "okay let's just monitor you for awhile and see how it goes" mind set. I will be calling to follow up about the Gallbladder but NOT the ketoacidosis.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Lol. Seriously considering it. I was there for 4-5 hours doing these tests. With a 30 minute break at lunch. I almost just went home on the break, by that point I was so irritated.

Bad thing and most aggravating is that this office advertises offering "progressive" care. When I called to discuss scheduling the 1st appointment, I made sure to tell them I eat as cleanly as possible, high fat, and am adverse to taking prescription medications. I also stressed that if their office wouldn't be open to that then we would not be a good fit.

Of course, I was assured the Dr and nurse practitioner were fine with it and saw many women with different lifestyles. Had no idea I needed to ask about the ultrasound tech!

To top it off, I had a reaction to one of the tests. There was no chemical or substance involved just the test itself. I was told it's a very common reaction evidently which makes your insulin drop. I had to drink coke (they gave me) to get it back up. If they know it's a common reaction, why wasn't I told before? I could have planned for it and brought my own snack. I haven't had a full sugar drink in a very long time, I honestly can't even remember when. I only drank half and poured the rest out.

So after that "sugar hell" and further tests, I drove home, an hour away mind you, and was so sluggish I had to take a small nap. 5 HOURS later, I woke with a headache and my Raynaud's going crazy. Here it is a good 21 hours later and I've still got a headache!! At least the Raynaud's is finally calmed down.

Yep, thinking about switching. Just left my old Dr due to he's out of network but thinking I may go back and just pay the difference because he was awesome. We never discussed my diet...

BTW - I did mention doing Keto to my family doctor who was of the "okay let's just monitor you for awhile and see how it goes" mind set. I will be calling to follow up about the Gallbladder but NOT the ketoacidosis.

What test caused your BG to drop? Do you know how low it got? If they gave you a whole can of Coke, they may have over-treated. If you have been low carb for very long, you will probably be more sensitive to BG spikes (because you don't have them at every meal like most people). I wonder if they over-treated a hypoglycemic episode. Being very sluggish is a symptom of high BG / hyperglycemia.
  • megemrj
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @midwesterner85
    It was a urodynamics test that did it. Nurse practitioner said it has something to do with the emptying and filling of the bladder that causes the reaction. Honestly don't remember the specifics as I was a little foggy at the time. I broke out in a cold sweat and was light headed. They didn't take my BG just made me sit and drink the coke. It was a small glass bottle, I think 8 oz. So I drank around 3-5 oz. They wanted me to drink it all, but that wasn't happening.

I have been paleoish for 3+ years (almost 4) and Keto for about 7-8 months. The most carbs I eat are normally under 20-30 net or gross a day (according to what I want and how much chocolate tempts me). o:)

I know I will be asking about possible side effects for every test going forward.

Eta: BC auto correct hates me