macros

joyfullee
joyfullee Posts: 23 Member
Trying to figure out what my macros should be. Is there a special calculator? I thought it was based on your weight, height and body fat percentage? I'm so confused...

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    15c/20p/65f is a good place to start. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Are you wanting Keto or another level of low carb?
    Basically, choose your maximum carb limit. Then figure out your protein based on the recommended .8g per pound of lean body mass (??? Is that right) then the rest is fat.
    There are calculators in the launch pad. I'll edit with links in a minute. Gotta retrieve them.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

http://www.ruled.me/keto-calculator/
  • joyfullee
    joyfullee Posts: 23 Member
    Yes, keto. Thank you so much! :-)
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Just make sure u use the link above not MFP suggested macros.... I'm short and only had 50-60 lbs to loose and I started mine at 65% fat/ 25% protein/ and 10 % carbs.. After a month I dropped it to 70%/25%/5%. Then on to 75/%/20/5

Lost pretty steady at these macros with out shock of just jumping in.. But jumping in might be easy too idk. Be sure to read read read these forms u will learn a lot.... Like get your sodium!
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    Just another question to add, if you do excersise, it increases your amount of carbs on the chard. I am trying to stay under 15g of carbs in a day, would that increase on days I do more excersise, or should I try to stay as close to the 15g as possible? Still feeling my way around here.
  • DorkothyParker
    DorkothyParker Posts: 618 Member
    I think if you are using the ankerl calculator, it's best to list your activity as sedentary regardless. Are you talking about total or net carbs? I always keep below my carb limit regardless of activity.

Carbs are a top limit, protein is a goal (range is ok, but don't go crazy on lean protein), fat to satiety.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    tishball wrote: »
    Just another question to add, if you do excersise, it increases your amount of carbs on the chard. I am trying to stay under 15g of carbs in a day, would that increase on days I do more excersise, or should I try to stay as close to the 15g as possible? Still feeling my way around here.

Personally, I would just turn off the exercise calories in MFP. Then it won't change anything. But, generally, your carbs are a hard limit no matter if you earn extra calories or not.
  • tishball
    tishball Posts: 155 Member
    keeping under 15 is hard alright, they sneak into the weirdest places,. I had two eggs last week and when I logged them it said 2 carbs, balls I thought eggs were free. Even broccoli has carbs hidden, so unless it is all meat, which leaves me with too much protien it is hard to manage. Thank god I like butter, lol.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    tishball wrote: »
    keeping under 15 is hard alright, they sneak into the weirdest places,. I had two eggs last week and when I logged them it said 2 carbs, balls I thought eggs were free. Even broccoli has carbs hidden, so unless it is all meat, which leaves me with too much protien it is hard to manage. Thank god I like butter, lol.

Have a look at the All-Animal April threads and some of the other carnivore threads in the archives. Doing all meat actually isn't as high protein as you think unless you're eating a lot of really lean meats (like skinless chicken breasts). The trick is to get the fattier cuts of meat and eat the visible fat, too.

But yeah, all vegetables have some carbohydrates. Vegetables aren't carb-free, they just don't have starch. Dairy also has carbs, though the least amount will be the fermented ones -- things like hard cheese, plain yogurt, and sour cream.