Two PhDs Discuss Ketogenic Diets

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
Great discussion between Dominic D'Agostino (runs a lab making ketone esters) and Rhonda Patrick (aging, cancer, and nutrition). Including some discussion about lipid profile impacts, inflammatory cytokines, gut microbiome, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ7pSXIWHrI&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Rphoda Patrick. She has some great guest appearances on the Joe Rogan Experience.
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Boy, she would encourage all young people to study science! I may be a nerd for listening but both of them would redefine the term.

I listened all the way through. Most went over my head since my only science was in fitness training (KERBS cycles ATP and all that) but i did learn a lot for what I did understand. His definition of modified Atkins diet versus ketogenic was interesting, as was the reasons behind needing some greens for gut health (and the changes to gut microbes if you change to low carb versus no carb). Thinking about MCT oil after listening. I also did not know that cancer loves sugar.

Thanks for posting!
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    @wabmester Very interesting! He did talk about lowering protein intake to 25-35% to maintain ketosis, right?
  • dasher602014
    edited April 2016
    Options
    That is what I heard.

Just checked my goals and through another source, I have heard that 80g of protein was suitable for women. That is ....25% for me so I am on track,
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    They covered a lot of ground. It was great to see two nerds go at it -- I already want to see a sequel. :)

In terms of dietary approaches, there was some concern expressed about both gut health and blood lipids on a traditional high fat ketogenic diet (8-10% protein), so Dom basically follows a "modified Atkins" with plenty of fibrous veggies and relatively high protein (25-30%).

Not much in terms of weight loss, but he did mention the satiety effects due to both reduced grehlin and to the direct effects of ketones on the brain.

He's a big fan of MCT oil, especially the powdered form like this one:
    http://smile.amazon.com/Quest-Nutrition-MCT-Powder-Ounce/dp/B016APVE5S?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_1&smid=A3COO51LH7GMOP
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Highlights to me:
    58:00 starting point of cancer prevention with keto
    58:45?? talking about ketones controlling binging.
    1:00:30 anti cancer effect of keto diet
    1:19:00 CMA / Chaperon Mediated Autophagy effect from keto diet CMA was one thing that has excited me for the past year about Nutritional Ketosis.

If you do not have a medical/research background at any level it sounds hard but just pick out what you can understand without much medical knowledge and Google terms you want to know more about.

Key points are in text on screen so you can pause and write terms down.

Awesome meeting of two brains that knows ketones.

Thanks for link to Powered MTC's I will not do the liquid. I am going to order some since it will give the brain ketones even if you are not in ketosis.

A coming line of keto cookies, chips, crackers mention right at the end.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Highlights to me:
    58:00 starting point of cancer prevention with keto
    58:45?? talking about ketones controlling binging.
    1:00:30 anti cancer effect of keto diet
    1:19:00 CMA / Chaperon Mediated Autophagy effect from keto diet CMA was one thing that has excited me for the past year about Nutritional Ketosis.

If you do not have a medical/research background at any level it sounds hard but just pick out what you can understand without much medical knowledge and Google terms you want to know more about.

Key points are in text on screen so you can pause and write terms down.

Awesome meeting of two brains that knows ketones.

Thanks for link to Powered MTC's I will not do the liquid. I am going to order some since it will give the brain ketones even if you are not in ketosis.

A coming line of keto cookies, chips, crackers mention right at the end.

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. He previously said that Brain Octane was the best but that he personally used the quest powdered because it's easy to travel with. I could never find the concentration of caprylic acid for the quest to know that it's at least equal to what I currently buy. Is there info in there that compares concentration to Brain Octane?
  • dasher602014
    Options
    He said it was the same or just as good, I think, and it is easier to digest. Although he also said he has a high gut tolerance for the oil. But with digestion issues over the oil, for therapy he would recommend the powder since you can get more in without digestive issues.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited April 2016
    Options
    kmn118 wrote: »

That's my problem with the Quest powder, all that info and nothing noted of the exact breakdown of which fatty acids and how much you're getting.
    And then there are the ingredients. I just can't get on board with it. Why fix something that isn't broke? I know it mentioned being more easily digested, but many people with that trouble with MCT can overcome it by increasing it little by little, and I saw at least 1 review at some point that said it upset their stomach, so it's not necessarily a fix for that for everyone either.
    Personally, I'll pass on the corn fiber and that other stuff. I just want MCT, not 5 other ingredients.
    u5sdtzw35yxm.jpeg

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Thanks @Sunny_Bunny_ . Does not fit my self imposed no form of any grain as food. :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Thanks @Sunny_Bunny_ . Does not fit my self imposed no form of any grain as food. :)

Me either!
  • reblazed
    reblazed Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Sunny_Bunny_ Certainly not something one would consider PURE MCT
  • dasher602014
    Options
    Me too. The milk would get me as well as the grains. MCT is on mu list.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Me either!

Since my coconut oil is 62% MCT's I think I can figure out a solution. :)
  • socalgardengal
    socalgardengal Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great post! So much interesting stuff :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You're finding some gems for us RalfLott. :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    There are treasures for pickers in our attic!