Stuck! Intro and Keto advice please

Options
kirstie1978
kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
Hi
I decided to start low carb again after the gradual weight increase and having a diet super high in carbs. Sluggish craving sweets all the time etc. I've been doing low carb (second time) for just over a week now. The first 2 days I'd lost 3.5kg (water mainly I'm presuming given how much I've lost and been drinking/peeing!)
I've kept my total carbs (as per fitness pal) under 20g per day max sugar has been 15g from vegetables, nut and tomatoes etc. I have however stalled and am not in ketosis according to the sticks! Only time was after dancing and I'm imagining that was due to dehydration as I didn't get to stop and have a drink.
I'm averaging around 1200-1500 calories a day. No alcohol etc etc and minimal if any polyols except occasional smint mints. Only one cup of coffee in morning all other drinks except occasional green te are decaffeinted. I'm about 62kg. fat/protein intake i am wondering might be the culprit! Protein intake is higher than fat intake but I am struggling to increase it, any suggestions? It's currently about 90g fat and average 95g protein.
Only "high"carb food is a max 30g snack of nuts - Brazil, almond and macadamia totally about 4grams. Other than 2g carbs tomatoes.
Any suggestions/recipes/ideas etc?
Thanks

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'd check the Launch Pad Sticky post, but my first question would be whether you're supplementing sodium, magnesium, and potassium. Otherwise, I'd be checking if your calorie goal is appropriate for your height/weight/age, next. Here is one calculator, but others have different ones that work well, too. http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • kirstie1978
    Options
    Thanks. I'll check those out. I am taking supplenets and the salt intake is quite high given the bacon etc I am eating. I'll try find the launch pad sticky post. Really appreciate the help. Thanks
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You're a week in and down 3.5kg? Isn't that more than 4pounds? I don't know...
    Anyway, your macros sound good to me. You're not stalled. It's only been a week. A pretty phenomenal one at that!

If you're eating 20g carbs a day, you're in ketosis no matter what the sticks say. You may just have diluted urine so the test isn't able to detect the acetoacetate.

Edited after I found out that 3.5kg is 7.7lbs!!!!!
    You. Are. NOT. Stuck. You've had a fantastic week! The first week is unlike any other. You will not again see losses that fast. The slow down you probably have just noticed in the last couple days is not a stall. It's just the end of the extreme water losses. Now, it's more about fat losses. It will be slower. It's not a stall.
  • kirstie1978
    Options
    Thanks. Appreciate that. Think I'm just concerned I've got something wrong.... Was worried maybe too much protein or something. Have made some "fudge" stuff which is high in fat so hopefully that will help as some people say that adds to helping. Appreciate the comments. Suppose I just expected a ketostick change having been so good on the carb front!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Appreciate that. Think I'm just concerned I've got something wrong.... Was worried maybe too much protein or something. Have made some "fudge" stuff which is high in fat so hopefully that will help as some people say that adds to helping. Appreciate the comments. Suppose I just expected a ketostick change having been so good on the carb front!

To clarify, if you are sluggish, my suggestion was that you might be LOW on salt, not high. During adaption, the goal is generally 5000 mg of sodium daily due to the natural dumping process...
  • kirstie1978
    Options
    Thanks I have checked and am eating that level and above plus having sparkling water which contains potassium etc. Perhaps I'm just expecting more losses after the big one after the first couple of days and a bit apprehensive with not having ketostick changing couloir. I will see how it is in a couple of days and if the weight has continued to drop off. Thanks all the info is so helpful. Now to find some higher fat lower protein recipes!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    *Up your salt intake, I like to drink heavily salted broth between meals if I'm feeling run down.
    *Make sure you are getting enough water.
    *Use full fat dairy
    *Ignore lean cuts of meat and go with the dark poultry and marbleized beef
    *cook with more fat, if you use a teaspoon, up it to a tablespoon

Feel free to check out my diary if you need ideas, it's open.
  • kirstie1978
    Options
    Thanks @michelle172415 I tried to but can't see it. Quite new to the additional features from 6 years ago!
  • BelleCakes2018
    BelleCakes2018 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    How do you know you're not in Ketosis? Remember the sticks can be quite unreliable...a better way is a blood test kit where you prick your finger although I have to say i've not hit the stage yet where i'm willing to do that! lol If you really are eating what you say, I'd say there'd be no reason for you to NOT be in Ketosis.. however your protein point is a valid one.. that can apparently knock you out of Ketosis if you're having too much.. you could try having smaller portions of protein but choosing the fattier cuts instead..pork over chicken etc, and fish - picking salmon and mackrel over tuna, cod etc.. remember all the butter to add to your veg, and make sauces with cream and add a little more fat when you're cooking etc.. they are really good ways of upping your fat without really being that aware you're doing it.
  • kirstie1978
    Options
    Thanks. That's what I've done...no weight loss since and no ketones except after dance but I'm usually quite dehydrated then... I'm sticking to circa 20g no more than that so yeah hopefully will all sort soon! If that doesn't work then I'll have to cut back more on things but from what I'm reading it should be working! Haha! Wait and see. Appreciate the help