recipe for pork roast

Options
Normally I make some kind of stew with it but that usually includes potatoes or pasta. Does anyoe know of any recipes that I could follow that include the roast. I really would like it to be some kind of stew.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I generally just rub mine down with olive oil, salt, and pepper and just cook it at 350 degrees. I've done dijon mustard rubs, and seen it wrapped in bacon, or a rub made with rosemary and all manner of things. Many times I just slice it up like boneless pork chops. Those I love doing with the dijon "crust" pan-fried... Pork is super versatile. Depends on the flavor profile you're after.
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you. I have found a couple of recipes for pulled pork. Maybe it would safer for me to go that route.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Thank you. I have found a couple of recipes for pulled pork. Maybe it would safer for me to go that route.

Pork Loin IS NOT a good piece of pork to use for pulled pork. If you use anything other than pork butt roast, picnic roast, or shoulder roast, you're likely to be disappointed. Pork roast (like tenderloin or loin) will not shred.

And after typing all that, I realized I didn't ask what type of pork roast as my brain read it as pork loin roast! What cut did you get?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Man, I totally spaced on reading this.

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/11/pork-tomato-soup-low-carb-gluten-free.html

http://www.ruled.me/southwestern-pork-stew/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/338473728219928961/

Thought you wanted it NOT to be stew. Those are just the first three. Let me know if none sound appealing.
  • aSearch4Me
    aSearch4Me Posts: 397 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Not a stew, but this is one of my favorite pork recipes- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas. It works for loins, picnic roasts, roasts, etc. It's made in a slow cooker minus the final step. I prefer to double all of the spices listed. [Editing to add] It's not listed on the recipe but is on serveral of the comments. Fry or broil the meat before shredding. I think the "frying" option works better than the oven option for the final step, but both work. Basically you want to remove the chunks of pork & fry until it gets crispy on the outside. OR put on a baking sheet under the broiler, turning the pieces until crispy. Don't skip this step though, because the chewy bits it creates give the dish great texture. After you remove it from the oven, shred it with 2 forks in a large bowl, and add a few ladles of the cooking liquid to the shredded meat.

This is also a GREAT recipe for a variety of diets or allergies. As a LCHF'er, I eat mine as a "stack" or salad with shredded lettuce, queso fresca, cilantro, avocado, lime juice, & lots of Mexican hot sauce. My standard diet husband loves this in tortilla shells as tacos. When serving for a party I do a "taco bar" where people can just assemble their own preferred combo (I typically serve it bar-style with: cilantro lime rice, fresh cilantro, shredded lettuce, queso fresco, regular shredded cheddar, diced tomatoes, thinly sliced red onion, flour tortillas, hard corn tortillas, & tortilla chips...and a variety of hot sauces & salsas). People LOVE when we do this for dinners/parties, and there are never leftovers. lol

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/139603/slow-cooker-carnitas/

For your stews, you could try subbing turnips for potatoes? That drops the carbs a bit.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have found a couple of recipes for pulled pork. Maybe it would safer for me to go that route.

This will blow your mind!!
    http://nomnompaleo.com/post/10031990774/slow-cooker-kalua-pig
  • wishfullthinking79
    wishfullthinking79 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss You know what I think it may be a pork loin roast. I will have to check when I gwt home. I have two of them in my freezer. They are on the small size. I just thought it would be good to have. I know my boyfriend and son get tired of fish and chicken.
    Side note* I had my boyfriend get all the ingrediants for the decontructed burger.. Mine will use ground turkey though.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Any recipe that has potatoes can be modified to use radishes, which are a great sub. Or you can split the recipe to use potatoes in half, radishes and/or less potatoes etc.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    I have found a couple of recipes for pulled pork. Maybe it would safer for me to go that route.

@kirkor I did not care for the Kalua pig AT ALL. I even bought the red Hawaiian salt and all. This had no flavor...and was hard to add to other stuff...
  • NancyMizuno
    NancyMizuno Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I make a Hawaiian roast pork in the crock pot. Works with basically any big hunk of pork. Rub with any coarse salt ( I use Hawaiian salt, usually found in Asian markets or sections); put the roast in the bottom of crock pot; fill the crock pot with as much fresh spinach as you can shove in there (it cooks WAAAAAY) down; Then pour about 1/4 -1/2 cup (depending on how big) of soy sauce in; set the crock pot for 10-12 hours on low.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@kirkor I did not care for the Kalua pig AT ALL. I even bought the red Hawaiian salt and all. This had no flavor...and was hard to add to other stuff...

I'm really surprised! This is one of my favorite recipes, except I use Himalayan Pink Sea Salt because I'm too lazy and cheap to buy something different ;)

• KnitOrMiss
    Options

I'm really surprised! This is one of my favorite recipes, except I use Himalayan Pink Sea Salt because I'm too lazy and cheap to buy something different ;)

I even got a roast that was a better brand, not the generic, followed it to a T. This is the first Nom Nom Paleo recipe I'd ever tried. I was SO disappointed!
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I wrap the pork loin in bacon. You can do a lattice work of bacon and wrap it around the roast and bake it like that. Leftovers can be used in lettuce wraps or even a meat pie with gravy (without potatoes and other starchy vegetables) and you could make a "thin" crust of pastry or biscuit (measure ingredients to know what will fit your macros. This freezes well for another time. :)
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options

Pork Loin IS NOT a good piece of pork to use for pulled pork. If you use anything other than pork butt roast, picnic roast, or shoulder roast, you're likely to be disappointed. Pork roast (like tenderloin or loin) will not shred.

And after typing all that, I realized I didn't ask what type of pork roast as my brain read it as pork loin roast! What cut did you get?

Agreed. Every southern cook prizes the fatty roasts for shredding!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options

I even got a roast that was a better brand, not the generic, followed it to a T. This is the first Nom Nom Paleo recipe I'd ever tried. I was SO disappointed!

What cut of meat did you use?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

What cut of meat did you use?

It's been a while, but I'm pretty certain it was a shoulder roast. It was whatever the recipe actually called for. I've had bad experiences substituting cuts before doing the recipe as is the first time.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Any recipe that has potatoes can be modified to use radishes, which are a great sub. Or you can split the recipe to use potatoes in half, radishes and/or less potatoes etc.

I was just going to say this. We actually like them better than potatoes!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I throw a 3 to 4 lbs roast (boneless Boston butt is a favorite) in the crockpot with half a stick of butter and whatever seasonings fit my mood. Freaking delicious. If I do a leaner roast (loin) I up the butter to a stick.