Kidney Stones from too much protein??

Options
Hi all, I'm 3 months out today from gvs and doing great weight loss wise,
but have just had my second episode with kidney stones in 3 months.
Any one else experienced this?
It's not fun and I'm petrified to go thru that horrible pain again. I've been fortunate to pass them so far, but I'm worried about what the alternative.
My primary physician suggested I back off on the protein.
Duh what am I supposed to do now?

Replies

• murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Lots of water. Make sure you are getting in at least 64oz a day. How much protein are you consuming? I think the minimum recommendation for most is 60-80g a day.
  • sunshine5474
    sunshine5474 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have had 10 stones in the last two years. It's not fun. They told me to have less animal protein, so I try to have a protein bar every day. I feel bad for you I know how horrible it is. And yes drink LOTS of water.
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sunshine, I feel better knowing I'm not alone. Although I'm my condolences on your dilemma.
    Murphyraven, I consume on average 50-60 grams of protein a day and drink 64ozs of water each and every day.
    Maybe it's the raid change in diet or perhaps the increase in calcium thru green veggies and supplements.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Most likely it's from dehydration. I don't think you're able to eat, or absorb, enough to cause kidney stones. 50-60 gm of protein isn't considered high, imo.