Calorie intake

Options
stall1961
stall1961 Posts: 5 Member
I'm 5'2" how many calories should I be having per day?

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Depends on your age, activity/exercise level, whether you are maintaining weight or losing. Are you pre-op, or post-op? what kind of surgery did you have?

Pre-op, I was on a 1600 cal/day limit with the goal of 60% protein, 25% fat, 15% carbs.
    Post op, I've been told that hitting my macro goals is more important than calories. I shoot for 50% protein (138g) 40% fat (49g) and 10% carbs (28g). But, I'm also 5'9, and a man. My daily calorie "goal" is around 1200. Most days I'm under on everything.

The best thing to do is work this out with your surgeon and nutritionist, if you have one.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Lots if variables there. If you're active around 1,800 to maintain. 1,500 or so to lose.
  • BStruble2
    BStruble2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One month post op I am to have no more than 900 calories, and I need 70-80 grams of protein. Macro goals are 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and it seems like everyone's surgeon has different ideas about what you should intake, so I definitely second anbrdr, check with your surgeon and his team.
  • lorisisler
    lorisisler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yikes, seeing everyone's response makes me worry I'm not eating enough. I eat about 900-1100 calories a day and that's hard to get to some days. I eat 3 meals, and I try not to snack. I went to my second weigh in Monday. I'm still having a hard deciding on RNY or sleeve.
  • happyjoyousfree1
    happyjoyousfree1 Posts: 124 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    3 months post sleeve all I can manage is 600 - 750. Nutritionist's guidelines are 60% protein, 20% carbs 20%fat working well down 43 since surgery.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist says 800 after surgery is enough. I am active, exercising daily and weight lifting 2-3 days a week. I am not losing much at all. I wonder if I'm not eating enough but I'm afraid to up calories to even test the theory. It's hard to stay under 800. I don't eat a lot but just something that has 100/150 or 200 calories bumps the numbers up quick!
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    How far out are you, @KDar1988 ?

800 might not be enough to support your daily needs, especially on workout days. I cannot see getting in all the macros while running that lean. 3 protein shakes/day would get you there with a calorie net of around 510, which is only short-term substantial.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    anbrdr wrote: »
    How far out are you, @KDar1988 ?

800 might not be enough to support your daily needs, especially on workout days. I cannot see getting in all the macros while running that lean. 3 protein shakes/day would get you there with a calorie net of around 510, which is only short-term substantial.

Thanks! I think I'm going to bump up a little and see what happens. I feel like 800 would work for someone who doesn't workout, but I could be wrong. We'll see what happens!
  • trishyleee
    trishyleee Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I am 5 weeks out and getting 1000-1200 per day. I exercise quite a bit and when taking in less than 1000 left me at an almost 4 week stall. Upped my calories and the weight started coming back off.
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I have been wondering about calories as well. I'm 6 weeks out from RNY. When I met with my nurse she told me I should be around 300 per day. It's so crazy how different programs have different guidelines. My protien shake and calcium chews make up about 200 on their own. I feel like I am losing pretty slowly the last month or so. I'm thinking of bumping it up a little to see if it helps.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am almost 5 months out and my nutritionist wont give me an exact number of calories. Which drives me crazy. She says as long as I get my protein in I'm ok. I always have to add quick calories to be able complete my day on MFP. I would say check with your nut. and see what they have to say. When I stall I play with my intake and exercise. Sometimes more calories help and sometimes less works. I guess it will be an ongoing changing process for me.