Competitive feelings suck

Options
katematt313
katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
edited April 2016 in Social Groups
My sister had lap band in 2009 and lost 180 pounds. She has put about 30 back on since then and weighs about 200. I lost about 65 lbs after VSG in 2014, and recently I put about 15 lbs back on. I weigh about 185 right now.

So, two weeks ago, I started weight watchers to help me with my mindfulness and get me refocused on portion sizing. I really like it. I've been really compliant. I double track my food intake on WW and on MFP, so I know that I'm eating in accordance with my VSG rules, too, and getting in all the nutrition I need. So, that's all good.

My results have been disappointing though. The first week I lost 1.6 lbs, which was less than I had anticipated.

My sister and dad started one week after me. We all weigh in tomorrow. According to my sister, who is thrilled, she's already dropped 10 lbs.

I'm happy for her, and supportive. I would never do anything to discourage or sabotage her But, inside lurks a troll who wants to say, "shut up"!, because I am jealous. Does that make me horrible?

I know she has more to lose, and maybe she will lose faster because of it. I know I'm still not drinking enough water, which will make a difference. So, I'm pounding water today. I know I'm more stressed out, which has kept weight on me in the past. Working through this should help. But still, I want to lose quicker!

Ugh!

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    You'll do fine. Everyone's body is different, and loses at different rates.. Just compete with yourself, and make your goals to hit your nutritional guidelines, and your water intake.

Also, keep track of your measurements. Many people think they are on a plateau, but are dropping inches and gaining muscle.
  • milaortiz30
    milaortiz30 Posts: 25 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I hear ya. We are all fighting our own battles. I agree with anbrdr tho - only compete with yourself. I feel that way a lot now. I look at my old pix and i'm like EW! and I workout harder that night lol.

One thing I will say about having VGS - what works best for me is no carbs, no sugar, no caffeine and no alcohol (for the most part lol) and of course I work out 3 to 5 days a week but I don't think WW would work for me post sleeve.

Best of luck to you tho and don't worry bout your sister. Just do you.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @katematt313 No, it doesn't make you horrible, it makes you human! You feel what you feel & can't change what just pops up. It's what you do with those feelings that matter. Find a way to express & release them (maybe journaling or kickboxing or something?) so they don't poison you. Eventually, you'll get the weight off and in the long run, it won't matter who got to goal first.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Meh. I still have issues not comparing myself to others. Be happy for her and her success, but focus on you. Keep looking at you, your goals, post side by sides if you have to. Post your oldest "BEFORE" if you have to. Journal your feelings daily, include these emotions to try and move past them. I have to do all of that to keep that green eyed monster at bay. You're doing great. Sounds like you know exactly what you have to do for your own success...just keep at it. When these thoughts creep in, try your best to refocus.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I second all of that! It's your personal journey not your families so be kind to yourself and celebrate your loss! And remember 10lbs is likely water - I will take slow steady progress everyday...its stays off
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    We recently started a weight loss challenge at work. We're tracking it not by pounds lost but by how much percentage of body weight we lose from the start. That way, heavier people do not have an unfair advantage over those who are closer to ideal weights since it's tougher to lose there. If you HAVE to go competitive in your head (but I'm with anbrdr - compete with just yourself!), maybe you can consider that instead of pounds.