Strength training and doing low carb/keto

Options
Hi everyone, I am very interested to see what some of you think about trying to do some strength training and doing low-carb. I have been told by lots of people out there that if you plan on working out heavily and do strength training that you won't be able to do it while on low-carb. They say you need the carbohydrates to make the muscles stronger and have the energy for it. I know a lot of you out there have lots of knowledge and if you could share it with me that would be great. I have tried incorporating more carbs coming from fruit and veggies and have been working out lots with no weight loss. Frustrated and would love to hear any advice that somebody knowledgeable would like to share.

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    @kellyfitgirl2014

Hello! I strength train while keto. In the first few weeks, I *did* have to deload because my body was adjusting to using fat as my primary source of fuel. However, that was only for a short period and I was back to my regular strength and with more lifting, got stronger.

I have been keto for six months now and I do not think I need more carbs to strength train. I am at 25g net carbs per day.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for anyone but myself, and am absolutely not an expert.

I strength train regularly (3-4x per week), and have just started lifting. I've done so while low carb (25g total, then switched to 25g net). I am stronger than I was in the past, and my endurance / stamina is just fine. The only hinderance with low carb is that I do get pretty regular dizzy spells, both during heavy workouts and due to blood pressure drops (e.g. bending down for more than a few seconds). This is managed just fine by slowing down for 30 seconds when I get dizzy, then resuming lifting.

It absolutely can be done. I recommend listening to your body; it'll tell you what it needs!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    One of our regulars has a PERFECT body, imho. He is a regular weight lifter, (body builder?) and is keto. Tagging @V_Keto_V in hopes that he replies.
  • kellyfitgirl2014
    kellyfitgirl2014 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    fwiw, I'm not very low carb. I DID transition from S.A.D. to a low glycemic diet (think south beach) while working out heavily. I also played around with pretty low carb while running and lifting, both with no problem.

I now run, walk, cycle, ski, do yoga and Pilates, and still sometimes lift, while lower carb. All with no problem.

In my not so humble opinion, many who feel they "need" carbs for a workout are just rationalizing having processed foods. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Sure as you adapt, there may be some fatigue, it depends how low your carb levels, and how intense your workout.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing keto and heavy lifting. I follow the strong lift 5x5 (I can squat more than I weigh now :smiley: )
    I noticed a bit of light headedness at the beginning but have not notice any decrease in my strength. I eat 5% carbs (about 15-20g) 65% fat and 30% protein. I find the little extra protein helps with muscle recovery, but that's just my personal experience.
  • kellyfitgirl2014
    Options
    Thank you, good info!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Check www.reddit.com/r/ketogains for a whole community dedicated to this
  • subk3
    subk3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been officially LC for a little more than a year and a half, but only started doing some diet tracking recently for those last few pounds. I've been weight training for 5 years twice a week and in the last 2 1/2 I've been "lifting heavy" (sorta--I'm a 52 year old woman w/back and knee issues doing barbell training with squats, deadlifts, bench, etc., so "heavy" for me may not be "heavy" for others!) I don't have any issues with being LC in the gym. None. I don't know if it makes any difference, but I never went from being 300+ carb a day junkie to 30 carbs over night. I got the carbs out of my diet gradually over the course of 6 months to a year all while I was continuing to weight train.

My weight seems to have have remained steady for the last year, but the heavier I lift the smaller all my body parts get! So I'm eating enough for muscle gains which is good and still loosing fat. If you lift heavy you need to make sure you get the extra protein you need for muscle growth. I drink a quick protien shake with 24p/3c right after I work out and I think that helps. I'm really learning that it is not all about numbers on the scale! I weigh what I did when I got married 24 years ago, but I'm at least one size smaller now.
  • kellyfitgirl2014
    Options
    That is very encouraging that I can do this, thanks for the info.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    Check www.reddit.com/r/ketogains for a whole community dedicated to this

Yeah, DarthLuiggi would beg to differ with those who say you need carbs to lift heavy.

OP, the myth comes from the fact that glycogen allows you to lift a little more. It's a like a NOS system in a race car -- it's an extra boost above and beyond what the vehicle could otherwise normally achieve. The result of going keto while lifting is reduced glycogen stores, which means you have to deload a little bit when you first switch, because you no longer have the glycogen stores like you used to have. It doesn't really interfere with strength gains or energy levels, though (provided you're eating enough food and protein).
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am very interested to see what some of you think about trying to do some strength training and doing low-carb. I have been told by lots of people out there that if you plan on working out heavily and do strength training that you won't be able to do it while on low-carb. They say you need the carbohydrates to make the muscles stronger and have the energy for it. I know a lot of you out there have lots of knowledge and if you could share it with me that would be great. I have tried incorporating more carbs coming from fruit and veggies and have been working out lots with no weight loss. Frustrated and would love to hear any advice that somebody knowledgeable would like to share.

I primarily lift heavy/run/cycle/swim and I have more energy than when I ate heavy carbs. ketogains is a great website. Check it out!
  • kellyfitgirl2014
    Options
    Thank you, I checked them out. Lots of good info!