Question re last long run before taper

Options
VanderTuig1976
VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
Hi all,

This week I started tapering for a May 1st marathon. I completed my training plan early so decided to repeat the last section of the plan before my taper. Due to work-related travel and a minor injury, I was unable to complete my repeat of the last section (got a few more long distance runs in but did not finish a second 20 miler). My last long run (18 miles) was on April 3rd. I intended to get one more long run in this last weekend but that did not happen. My one and only 20 mile run was on March 12th. Has there or will there be too much time between my last long runs and my taper to be ready for 26.2 on May 1st? Should I do a long run this weekend even though I'm supposed to be tapering?

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    What is your planned long run for this weekend?
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    15 miles
    lporter229 wrote: »
    What is your planned long run for this weekend?

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You should have a long run just about every week. A 20 miler this week would probably be too risky, especially if you are recovering from a minor injury . My last 3 long runs before my last marathon were 20/17/13 with weekly miles of 68/56/46. Your taper weeks are more about quality not quantity and the long run should be 25-30% of the weekly mileage. I'd shoot for 13-17, maybe even with a 5k fast finish at or near marathon pace if your feeling good at that point. The weekend before should still be 9-13 but at your easy pace.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Some plans have you doing a two week taper with your long 20 miler (or equivalent) two weeks before the race. There is some debate on the 2 vs. 3 week taper, but in general in my own research, they seem to get equivalent results and it's mostly personal preference. The two week taper seems more common with more experienced runners who have a bigger running base; they feel they lose some "snap" in their legs with a 3 week taper.

My gut feeling is the 3 week taper might be preferable for less experienced runners, as their body is not as well conditioned for long distance running and it gives them a bit of extra time for recovery before the race.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    5512bf wrote: »
    A 20 miler this week would probably be too risky, especially if you are recovering from a minor injury .
    I missed the part about the injury. In that case, I would agree with the above poster. Better to be sure you are healed and take it easier with the shorter run than go for a 20. You won't be gaining any fitness this close to the race by pushing for a 20, but you will be risking an aggravation of the injury.
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    Hi,

I wasn't very clear in my original post about my long runs (terminology issue:) I understand that I need to continue to run one long run a week even during taper - I just don't call them long runs because they will be shorter distances than the long runs I ran during the last leg of my training.

I am new to the marathon distance and am wondering if the gap between my 18 and 20 milers and my taper is going to negatively impact my ability to complete the marathon. Aerobic wise, I know I can complete another 18 or 20 miles, but given where I am in my taper and my injury (shin splints), I don't know if it's advisable.
    You should have a long run just about every week. A 20 miler this week would probably be too risky, especially if you are recovering from a minor injury . My last 3 long runs before my last marathon were 20/17/13 with weekly miles of 68/56/46. Your taper weeks are more about quality not quantity and the long run should be 25-30% of the weekly mileage. I'd shoot for 13-17, maybe even with a 5k fast finish at or near marathon pace if your feeling good at that point. The weekend before should still be 9-13 but at your easy pace.

• VanderTuig1976
    Options
    This is what worries me - my 20 miler was a month before my taper. I did get an 18 miler in a week before my taper but I'm not sure that this will provide enough conditioning and preparation for the marathon. Should I squeeze an 18 or 20 miler in this weekend?

_Enginerd;36142470"]Some plans have you doing a two week taper with your long 20 miler (or equivalent) two weeks before the race. There is some debate on the 2 vs. 3 week taper, but in general in my own research, they seem to get equivalent results and it's mostly personal preference. The two week taper seems more common with more experienced runners who have a bigger running base; they feel they lose some "snap" in their legs with a 3 week taper.

My gut feeling is the 3 week taper might be preferable for less experienced runners, as their body is not as well conditioned for long distance running and it gives them a bit of extra time for recovery before the race.[/quote]

• VanderTuig1976
    Options
    Also, shin splints....trying to balance injury with training.
    This is what worries me - my 20 miler was a month before my taper. I did get an 18 miler in a week before my taper but I'm not sure that this will provide enough conditioning and preparation for the marathon. Should I squeeze an 18 or 20 miler in this weekend?

_Enginerd;36142470"]Some plans have you doing a two week taper with your long 20 miler (or equivalent) two weeks before the race. There is some debate on the 2 vs. 3 week taper, but in general in my own research, they seem to get equivalent results and it's mostly personal preference. The two week taper seems more common with more experienced runners who have a bigger running base; they feel they lose some "snap" in their legs with a 3 week taper.

My gut feeling is the 3 week taper might be preferable for less experienced runners, as their body is not as well conditioned for long distance running and it gives them a bit of extra time for recovery before the race.

[/quote]

• VanderTuig1976
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion re mileage for this week's long run - very helpful!

• VanderTuig1976
    Options
    Perfect - this is what I suspected but wanted confirmation from others before finalizing my plans for my run this weekend!
    A 20 miler this week would probably be too risky, especially if you are recovering from a minor injury .
    I missed the part about the injury. In that case, I would agree with the above poster. Better to be sure you are healed and take it easier with the shorter run than go for a 20. You won't be gaining any fitness this close to the race by pushing for a 20, but you will be risking an aggravation of the injury.

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's advisable this close to the marathon. I would shoot for 15-16 and you should be fine. It sounds like you have been training consistently for a while. You have done one 20 mile run, so you know you can do it. That's really the significance of running that distance, the mental boost. The cumulative effect of all of that running is what will get you through the marathon, not one single 18 or 20 mile run. Having a good taper is worth its weight in gold. You'll do great. Best of luck!

FWIW, I am also running a May 1st marathon. Not running it hard, but helping to pace a friend. We are doing 16 this weekend and 10-12 next weekend.
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement!!! I will stick to my plan to do 15 this weekend and thank you for sharing your planned long run mileage - very helpful!!! Good luck to you with your marathon!!!!
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I don't think it's advisable this close to the marathon. I would shoot for 15-16 and you should be fine. It sounds like you have been training consistently for a while. You have done one 20 mile run, so you know you can do it. That's really the significance of running that distance, the mental boost. The cumulative effect of all of that running is what will get you through the marathon, not one single 18 or 20 mile run. Having a good taper is worth its weight in gold. You'll do great. Best of luck!

FWIW, I am also running a May 1st marathon. Not running it hard, but helping to pace a friend. We are doing 16 this weekend and 10-12 next weekend.

• 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am new to the marathon distance and am wondering if the gap between my 18 and 20 milers and my taper is going to negatively impact my ability to complete the marathon. Aerobic wise, I know I can complete another 18 or 20 miles, but given where I am in my taper and my injury (shin splints), I don't know if it's advisable.

It wont help, but it probably wont hurt much either. It's typically not ideal to have your longest run 6-7 weeks before the race but you still managed another 18 mile run which is good. Those additional 20 mile runs serve alot of purposes but mostly mental for new marathon runners. As long as you feel your game plan for nutrition & hydration are ready you'll probably be ok. Know that those last 6 miles will be like nothing you've faced though. It's typically guts that get you through it and not an additional 18-20 mile run.

I've had shin splints before and they suck. if it's just now come along and you've never had them i'd have someone at a running store take a good look over your shoes. If your shoes are shot you'll want to get something now and try to get in some miles on them before the race. I had the best luck in treatment with icing my shins immediately following a run for 20-30 minutes and then rolling them out with a foam roller. I'd ice them every day before bed even if i didn't run.
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The training plan I followed had me doing my last 20 mile run three weeks before the race. However with shin splints I would agree with planning on doing 15 miles. If you feel good and your shins aren't hurting too much maybe stretch it out by a couple miles. I would not recommend doing a fast finish on the run though as it could aggravate your injury.

You also need to be mindful of the fact that if you have pain while you are running it might be better to cut the run short to avoid further injury. It does not matter how many miles you ran in training or how many times you ran 18-20 miles if you don't make it to the start line on the day of your race.

I would also agree with evaluating your shoes and getting a new pair if needed. Just don't wear the new pair on this weekend's long run. Start breaking them in on your other runs. With 8-12 runs before race day you should have plenty of time to get them broke-in.
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    trswallow wrote: »

You also need to be mindful of the fact that if you have pain while you are running it might be better to cut the run short to avoid further injury. It does not matter how many miles you ran in training or how many times you ran 18-20 miles if you don't make it to the start line on the day of your race.

Thanks for mentioning this as I'm guilty of ignoring pains while running.

• VanderTuig1976
    Options

I've had shin splints before and they suck. if it's just now come along and you've never had them i'd have someone at a running store take a good look over your shoes. If your shoes are shot you'll want to get something now and try to get in some miles on them before the race. I had the best luck in treatment with icing my shins immediately following a run for 20-30 minutes and then rolling them out with a foam roller. I'd ice them every day before bed even if i didn't run.

I just had a gait analysis and got fitted for new running shoes 2 months ago so I have no idea how I developed shin splints.

Tried foam rolling.....AGONY!!! But I'll keep at it!

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options

I just had a gait analysis and got fitted for new running shoes 2 months ago so I have no idea how I developed shin splints.

If you've been running perfectly happily for ages and then just got new shoes and suddenly have shin splints, I'd b e suspicious of the new shoes...
  • trswallow
    trswallow Posts: 116 Member
    Options

Tried foam rolling.....AGONY!!! But I'll keep at it!

It sounds like you might have had someone that either didn't know how to do a gait analysis or didn't know the proper shoe to go with the analysis.

I don't bother with gait analysis. I had to see a podiatrist for some foot problems that developed during training for my first marathon and discussed what level of support I needed. Since then I have compiled a list of shoes (grouped by manufacture and level of support) that I update and take with me when I go shoe shopping. Printed out it covers both sides of a sheet of paper and it lists nearly all of the running shoes of the top major brands for the past five years.

Honestly my ideal trip to the shoe store is if the only employee I talk to is the cashier as I pay for my shoes. I have enough to deal with figuring out if a shoe is in the right category for me. I don't need interruptions. I only really deal with the employees if it is a store where they keep all of the inventory in the back and only have a single sample of each shoe on the wall.
  • VanderTuig1976
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »

If you've been running perfectly happily for ages and then just got new shoes and suddenly have shin splints, I'd b e suspicious of the new shoes...

Yeah, the thought has crossed my mind. After dropping $150 on the shoes and with the marathon in two weeks, I'm afraid I'm stuck with what have.