A little support

EleeseahM
EleeseahM Posts: 15 Member
Read the book and will be starting the plan starting Monday. Right now im just taking baby steps to see how i feel and if it affects my milk supply (breastfeeding). My diet consists of so much junk I feel it would be hard to cut it out. I know stopping cold turkey is tough but i am determined to make the change. Just looking for support.

Replies

• GillianETL
    GillianETL Posts: 8 Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm nursing right now as well. In my experience eating well can only help breastfeeding because your body is healthier and you feel so much better (and I find I sleep better too). If making big changes is too hard, you could always just slowly add a few more healthy foods to your diet and you won't have room for as much junk food. And then just keep adding a few more healthy foods each week. Or take away one junk food, like replacing pop or iced tea with water. Also lots of water can only help nursing as well. Whatever way you do it, good luck!
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,878 Member
    Hi Eleeseah and Gillian... here's a link to an article Dr. F wrote about breastfeeding and diet... drfuhrman.com/disease/pregnancy.aspx ... I think that I have also read that you want to increase the fats while breastfeeding. I can't seem to find the article now unfortunately. I wouldn't restrict calories too much while breastfeeding, but eating lots of high nutrient food will be good for you and baby. I don't want to discourage anyone from doing the 6 week plan, but I don't think you should restrict calories too much when nursing. I would just add lots of good nutrient dense foods, but don't get too all or nothing about it and realize your body may need some extra some days. I don't have kids so I'm not sure my advice is worth much, maybe some others will chime in with better advice.

Welcome to the group!
  • EleeseahM
    I will try and keep my daily calories up but just change what im eating. One lady from my birth group suggested eating 3000 calories. I just think thats so much.
  • GillianETL
    GillianETL Posts: 8 Member
    Yes that does sound like a lot. That doesn't match up with recommendations online but perhaps that worked for the woman who suggested it. The nice thing about this plan is you can eat an unlimited amount of healthy food so there's no need to count calories or to go hungry. Be sure to listen to your body because it will be telling you what you need. I've been nursing for 1 year and 10 months now and my experience was that it always went better when I stayed properly hydrated, got as much rest as possible and ate healthy. Basically if you take care of yourself the best you can, that naturally gives you the energy and nutrients you need to take care of baby. You got this, don't worry!
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    I would suggest getting the book Eat For Health it is a gentler approach to becoming a nutritarian.

I am with you 3000 calories is too many. I would gain weight with that many calories while breast feeding.

Eating this way will make you feel better and prevent disease. All the new studies coming out state that if we let our children eat an unhealthy diet it increase the odds that that child will get cancer and other diseases when they are older. One fun fact I learned these past couple of weeks: when we cook starchy food such as white potatoes in the oven or fried it create acrylamides during the cooking process. French fries were at the top of the list containing the most acrylamide after cooking. Acrylamides are a know carcinogen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrylamide

Anyway, what better way to help ensure your child may grow up with less disease then start with a healthy diet while breastfeeding.
  • EleeseahM
    Thank you ladies. I weighed myself today and I gave gained 20lbs putting me at 214.
  • EleeseahM