New to group. Hoping to find success stories to motivate!

Options
kylataff
kylataff Posts: 15 Member
Hi all.
I guess I'm in the perimenopause phase. I'm 44 but my periods have been erratic for the last 2 years at the time it was just my thinning hair that was depressing me but now it's the unexplained weight gain that is frustrating. I'm not overweight but I have put on over a stone in the last 6 months. Normally I weigh about 8st 10 give or take xmas/holiday fluctuations. But now I am 10 St. I used to be able to go on a 500 cal diet for a couple of weeks and ......All sorted id be back to normal weight. But now!!!! Even on 500 cals and exercising (30mins of strength training a day) I cannot lose any weight. Have been trying really really hard lately and have lost only 1 bloody pound in 3 weeks. I could poop that much out!!! I have done a LOT of reading about the subject and it sounds like my progesterone levels have plummeted. Has anyone managed to lose weight during perimenopause. ....or is it a battle with my own body that I can't win?

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What is st? A stone?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I've been mostly maintaining in menopause. Then the scale TICKED UP.

I'm now experimenting with intermittent fasting and the scale is slowing going back down. I've read that menopause can lead to insulin resistance, and am working from that premise with myself. IF is said to help with insulin resistance. Here's hoping.

Hi and welcome!
  • kylataff
    Options
    Hi
    Unfortunately intermittent fasting is how I tend to eat anyway. Not for any reason - it just fits around work and have eaten like that for about 20 years. Made me laugh when the diet came out.....I should have written the 5:2 book years ago lol. Am doing a lot of research at the moment and think my weight gain is due to my progesterone levels dropping .....have booked a Dr appointment. ....but don't think NHS test for that so if I don't get any luck then I'll try my free private health insurance that I get with work and take it from there. Fingers crossed!
  • kylataff
    Options
    A stone as in weight. I.e 14 pounds. (Don't get on with kg)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    kylataff wrote: »
    Hi
    Unfortunately intermittent fasting is how I tend to eat anyway. Not for any reason - it just fits around work and have eaten like that for about 20 years. Made me laugh when the diet came out.....I should have written the 5:2 book years ago lol. Am doing a lot of research at the moment and think my weight gain is due to my progesterone levels dropping .....have booked a Dr appointment. ....but don't think NHS test for that so if I don't get any luck then I'll try my free private health insurance that I get with work and take it from there. Fingers crossed!

I've used progesterone supplements (bio-identical) off and on for a few years. I love the stuff. It did NOT help me with the scale, alas (it actually went up). But it sure helped with mood and sleep.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I had to drop my calorie intake by quite a lot, 150 calories a day, to just maintain my weight.
    My calories were 1600 to maintain but are now 1450.
    I also only eat carbs once a week as I get all my carbs from vegetables and fruit.
    5:2 with Monday & Tuesday being fast days
    Cardio is walking 4 miles on four workdays (2 miles there, 2 miles back).
    Strength training 2-3 times a week.
    7 minutes of HIT on an exercise bike 5 days a week to help with insulin usage (yes that is seven minutes, 2 mins gentle cycling and 20 seconds as fast as possible repeated three times)
    Tai chi, deskcycle and squats (while I wait for the kettle to boil) are all exercises I regularly do throughout the week.
    I don't think there is a magic formula as we are all individual but I was taken by surprise by the rapid way my body changed and required less calories. It happened overnight. I took three months before I realised just how much I had to cut off my calories to adjust to my body's new requirements, by then I was 14 lb over. I struggled at first to stick to the lower calories but a year on I'm a lot better at keeping it all in check again.
    I hope you find your balance soon.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    wow
  • kylataff
    Options

Good on you Gosser! Well done for finding your balance.......and I thought I was the only one that did squats while waiting for the kettle to boil