Psyllium husk question

Options
UMDavies
UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
I'm experimenting with the Atkins induction plan and they recommend a tbsp of psyllium husks per day to avoid bowel issues. I've had these issues before when I've been eating keto and am keen to avoid them this time! So does anyone have any tips for taking psyllium husks? How do you eat yours? :)

Replies

• kirstie1978
    kirstie1978 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have bought capsules from the health food shop... Much easier!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Metamucicles!
  • ClaireBearOz
    ClaireBearOz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My husband adds them to his muesli, but if you don't have a low carb friendly version of muesli, you could stir them into yoghurt or cream. Or use as a thickener in any cooking (stews, curries, soups). There are also recipes around fro keto baking using psyllium.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I can't stand to eat Psyllium mixed in water, its like eating snot.

I've been experimenting in the kitchen and on my 3rd iteration of a muffin with Psyllium and many other high fiber ingredients. I bake them and eat heated with melted butter.

I actually like the taste of it (YMMV).

Dan
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I mix 20g of psyllium husk powder with chocolate protein powder, almond milk and boiling water. Blend it all with a hand immersion blender and eat it like a pudding. It turns out way too thick to drink.

I just about hurl if i have to "drink" it with plain water :sick:
  • RalfLott
    Options
    I mix 20g of psyllium husk powder with chocolate protein powder, almond milk and boiling water. Blend it all with a hand immersion blender and eat it like a pudding. It turns out way too thick to drink.

Wow! That is creative.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Wow! That is creative.

Lol I NEED fibre, and i try and make taking it as tasty as possible :#
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Aha - Necessity, e'er the mother of new desserts!
  • ilovethecamp32
    ilovethecamp32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Funny story about this - one night I made a meatloaf and used a small amount of it instead of bread crumbs. Unfortunately, I did not realize that it was orange flavored! My dear husband was so sweet about it and ate it.lol
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    You can also use psyllium in protein shakes.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

I tried that once... I only added 15g and it was the most disgusting thing ever, even 5g made it taste not so nice. It was like eating a thick hunk of sawdust, I threw the whole thing away, and made another one minus the psyllium.

Strangely the concoction I posted above turns out like smooth pudding, no matter how much psyllium I add.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

I tried that once... I only added 15g and it was the most disgusting thing ever, even 5g made it taste not so nice. It was like eating a thick hunk of sawdust, I threw the whole thing away, and made another one minus the psyllium.

Strangely the concoction I posted above turns out like smooth pudding, no matter how much psyllium I add.

LOL I'm not a fan of psyllium in shakes either. How much water do you add to your concoction?
  • Christine_72
    Options

LOL I'm not a fan of psyllium in shakes either. How much water do you add to your concoction?

Around 400ml. I've never measured it, will do today and let you know.

• Christine_72
    Options
    150ml Almond milk
    250ml boiling water
    40g protein powder
    20g psyllium powder.

Turns out perfectly.
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    @Christine_72 Do you chill it or eat it warm?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    May I infer from the boiling water that this creation is designed for the upper portal of the alimentary canal.?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    bcedl1982 wrote: »

I eat it warm. It took me flippan ages to find a way to make something containing psyllium powder taste yummy!
    I know longer need Magnesium or dulcolax since having this mix everyday.

• bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I'm going to try it!
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    150ml Almond milk
    250ml boiling water
    40g protein powder
    20g psyllium powder.

Turns out perfectly.

I wonder how this would taste if I tweak this slightly incorporating it into my low carb chocolate ice cream recipe. I will give it a try next time I make ice cream.
  • Christine_72
    edited April 2016
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    150ml Almond milk
    250ml boiling water
    40g protein powder
    20g psyllium powder.

Turns out perfectly.

I wonder how this would taste if I tweak this slightly incorporating it into my low carb chocolate ice cream recipe. I will give it a try next time I make ice cream.

I'd start off slow with the amounts of psyllium, I've ruined many a recipe by getting the ratios wrong.
    bcedl1982 wrote: »

I eat it warm. It took me flippan ages to find a way to make something containing psyllium powder taste yummy!
    I know longer need Magnesium or dulcolax since having this mix everyday.

OMG this is driving me nuts! too late to edit.. I shouldn't write anything when i first wake up lol