percentages/grams/blood gluclose

Options
I have been struggling with BG levels (90-115) every morning. When I use the percentage macros (on Spark) they are usually good with the 75% fat 20% protein and 5% carbs. However, I am wondering if I am eating too much protein and it is turning to glucose and raising BG/slowing my weight loss.

According to the keto calculator, I should be eating: 1413 calories
123 grams fat
20 grams carbs
65 grams protein
Sometimes the protein I eat is higher (75-90 grams) but still works out with percentages,but then I notice higher BG the next morning. Any thoughts?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Your body doesn't work on percentages. Grams matter.

If you eat too much protein, it probably will get converted to glucose, but it's a pretty slow process and not likely to be a problem for weight loss. Also, the older we get, the more protein we need (because we don't synthesize muscle as well as we used to).
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My last test was 12 months after going LCHF Fasting BG was 107. Last week after a meal it 82. Fasting testing can be all over the board in my case. One hour after breakfast it can run 10 points lower.
  • ilovethecamp32
    ilovethecamp32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am going to try my best to follow the grams listed above and not worry about the percentages. If my BG goes down, I guess it will be better than what I have been doing.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Bg will always be higher in the morning no matter what you eat. Your body releases cortisol and glycogen to wake you in the morning. Becoming more sensitive to insulin will happen in time and should help with it eventually.
  • ilovethecamp32
    ilovethecamp32 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks,Sunny Bunny. That is true about the releases. I have been lchf since January, 2016 and my bg had been decreasing to low 90's. Then it began creeping up and I think it may be due to eating too much protein. I stuck to 67 grams yesterday and my bg was down from 115 to 108. I am also ready to begin walking again so that will likely help.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    And 65 grams of protein is NOT too much! Unless you have a medical condition that is a contraindicator I would say it's too little.

And plus one on the grams not %.

Carbs low, protein enough to not loose lean body mass (Google protein per lbm - or read Phinney), and fill the rest in with fat.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Thanks,Sunny Bunny. That is true about the releases. I have been lchf since January, 2016 and my bg had been decreasing to low 90's. Then it began creeping up and I think it may be due to eating too much protein. I stuck to 67 grams yesterday and my bg was down from 115 to 108. I am also ready to begin walking again so that will likely help.

I think you have found your right amount of protein for right now. Maybe the walking and more time will help to further increase insulin sensitivity and make it do that you aren't as sensitive to higher amounts of protein. Time will tell. For now, it seems like you've found your magic number.