What are we eating?

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
edited February 2016 in Social Groups
I've been trying to focus a bit more on what I'm eating. Not just how many calories, but WHAT.

Lately breakfast has been one of the following:
cottage cheese and avocado
poached egg and avocado
peanut butter on half a whole grain flat out wrap
green smoothie with kale, berries and seeds etc
Or a quest bar, because I'm bored with breakfast

Lunch has been either:
big kale salad with chick peas, toasted almonds and feta, with sardines or herring on it
something I've stewed in the crock pot, then shredded (cooking a bison roast in tomatoes and green chilies right now), then wrapped in a whole grain flatout wrap with cheese, beans, salsa and lettuce or cilantro

Dinner is:
big fat caesar salad with salmon or something similar
stir fry of vegetables and tofu, over either brown rice, or riced cauliflower
some other protein/veg combo (chicken and broccoli, steak and steamed veg....)
the healthiest thing on the menu at whatever restaurant we're at, usually fish and veg

snacks:
berries
apple
string cheese
beef jerky
20 mixed nuts

desserts:
wine
chocolate
berries

Much of how I'm building meals (minus the wine) is based on what's recommended in Vivianne Parnell's What Can I Eat Menopause Diet and Dr. Lee's What your Doctor May not Tell you about Menopause.

What about you guys?
Always good to hear what others going through menopause are eating!

If meal timing matters: I run or walk before breakfast 5 days a week, and do Pilates or Yoga at noon (eat half before, half after) 4 days a week. I lift once or twice a week before work, but frankly, after 20 years, I'm bored silly by it.

Cheers

Replies

• KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Can I come eat at your house? Because it sounds pretty awesome :))
    Now, I'm not in menopause but I'm in the thick of peri menopause. This is how I eat these days:

Breakfast:
    -scrambled egg with kale or spinach/salsa/onion (veggies to bump up the volume) with a piece of rye toast
    -one rye toast with 1/4 mashed avocado and fried whole egg

Lunch:
    Homemade soup (I make a pot a week) with baby carrots and hummus
    Tea (love white tea and jasmine tea)

Supper:
    Tossed salad
    Fish (baked...I try for once/week)
    Meatless (usually tofu...again try once/week)
    Chicken
    Very little beef/hamburger/
    Pork tenderloin
    Rice (sometimes brown but I do love a good basmati)
    Rarely white potatoes...have increased the family intake of sweet potatoes (baked) which everyone likes

I don't tend to serve dessert unless it's holiday time or entertaining. I tend to have pineapple and strawberries on hand if I want something sweet.
    I do have a few glasses of wine per week but I think having a glass daily would cause a weight gain (boo! Oh well...)

I go to the gym 4X/week...I spin, do Power Barbell (class), step/weights/abs class, and some Aquafit. Used to do more weights but I needed a change so I started doing the classes at the gym. It's nice to make new friends there.
    I find after exercising I'm totally famished. My appetite is at an all time high. I eat lunch as soon as I get home from the gym.
    I'm going to check out Vivianne Parnell and Dr Lee...thanks for posting that!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    KellieTru wrote: »
    Can I come eat at your house? Because it sounds pretty awesome :))
    Now, I'm not in menopause but I'm in the thick of peri menopause. This is how I eat these days:

Breakfast:
    -scrambled egg with kale or spinach/salsa/onion (veggies to bump up the volume) with a piece of rye toast
    -one rye toast with 1/4 mashed avocado and fried whole egg

Lunch:
    Homemade soup (I make a pot a week) with baby carrots and hummus
    Tea (love white tea and jasmine tea)

Supper:
    Tossed salad
    Fish (baked...I try for once/week)
    Meatless (usually tofu...again try once/week)
    Chicken
    Very little beef/hamburger/
    Pork tenderloin
    Rice (sometimes brown but I do love a good basmati)
    Rarely white potatoes...have increased the family intake of sweet potatoes (baked) which everyone likes

I don't tend to serve dessert unless it's holiday time or entertaining. I tend to have pineapple and strawberries on hand if I want something sweet.
    I do have a few glasses of wine per week but I think having a glass daily would cause a weight gain (boo! Oh well...)

I go to the gym 4X/week...I spin, do Power Barbell (class), step/weights/abs class, and some Aquafit. Used to do more weights but I needed a change so I started doing the classes at the gym. It's nice to make new friends there.
    I find after exercising I'm totally famished. My appetite is at an all time high. I eat lunch as soon as I get home from the gym.
    I'm going to check out Vivianne Parnell and Dr Lee...thanks for posting that!

Yours sounds pretty tasty too!
    I don't think I can lose with nightly wine anymore either, sadly.

Do check out the books. Dr. Lee doesn't talk much about food, other than to say: eat more whole foods, and eat more plants. :)
    Parnell, though, talks through various nutrients, like Omega 3s, and their role in our symptoms. She has a whole bunch of "peri-zappers", which are foods and supplements etc. that she says can help. Being an N of 1, I can't say definitively, but do always think my meno journey is easier than my sister's, in large part because of diet and exercise.
  • aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've read Dr Lee's book also and tried to follow some of his advice. I think I was doing better when I first starting losing the weight, but got a little lazier once most of my extra pounds were gone.

My typical day goes like this - BTW, I'm vegetarian:
    Breakfast-
    Black or green tea
    Banana
    Plain greek yogurt with walnuts, flaxseeds, cinnamon and honey
    -or-
    fresh eggs scrambled with some cheese served with hash browns (usually once/weekend)

Lunch-
    Sparkling water or the occasional diet soda (gotta get off that kick again)
    Meatless cold cuts with swiss cheese on light bread
    carrots/celery/cauliflower or watermelon
    -or-
    Homemade soup of some kind, with lots of veggies and/or beans

Dinner-
    Water
    Peanut butter on tortilla
    Apple
    -or-
    Big salad with variety of veggies and fruit with oil/vinegar dressing
    -or-
    Homemade soup
    cup of lemon ginger tea

Snacks-
    Nuts
    Veggies
    Fruits
    Square or two of really good dark chocolate
    Lots of ice water

I've been giving myself a "cheat day" once a week since losing about 25 pounds and having a Starbucks chai, a glass of wine or other adult beverage, something more fattening or comforting for my dinner (mac n cheese) and/or (usually and) ice cream for dessert.
  • Jeanarie0614
    Jeanarie0614 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    "Meatless cold cuts with swiss cheese on light bread"

Just wondering what meatless cold cuts are, what they're like, whatever you can tell me! Thanks!

• aamundsoncpa
    aamundsoncpa Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what meatless cold cuts are, what they're like, whatever you can tell me! Thanks!

I like the Tofurkey brand the best. They have a hickory smoked "turkey" flavor that I like best. I've also enjoyed meatless bologna slices by Light Life. Both are similar to their meat counterparts but made from soy or other veggie sources. It's a little more exciting to eat than just a plain cheese sandwich (I don't usually have easy to grab veggies to throw on my sandwiches when I'm making lunch at 5am to take to work).

Light Life also has Smart dogs which are meatless hot dogs.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Monday to Thursday my typical day is as follows:

Up at 5 - work out for 45-50 min (cardio and lifting), shower, go to work.

At work my AM food is either a costco protein shake or a banana about 7:30-8:00
    9:00 3/4 cup mixed frozen raspberries and blueberries mixed into greek yogurt (with pumpkin seeds for texture)
    10:00 protein bar - my current favourite is Smart for Life
    12:15 125g chicken breast with about 1 tbsp bbq sauce and two servings vegetables with celery and laughing cow cheese wedge
    2:30-3:00 2 slices cheddar with either mini cukes, sugar snap peas or mini carrots (sometimes all of the above)
    Dinner around 5:30 is a plain grilled protein (6oz) with either salad or vegetables. All of that is just shy of 1200 cals.

Weekends are usually a protein bar for breakfast, lunch out (this is where I get my burger and fries :smiley: ) and dinner is usually the same as during the week. I don't typically work out on the weekends but my cals usually catch up with my weekday workouts. I'm a boredom eater so I can demolish a bag of chips in one sitting in front of the TV LOL Followed by a chocolate chaser of course!

I've been working on my eating habits on weekends. I find if I can get out of the house I don't eat nearly as much. I'm also working on my restaurant ordering - I just find it the hardest thing to order a salad in a restaurant! Even as a side. I typically get fries but only eat 1/4 to 1/2. And I'm getting much better at ordering brunch without hashbrowns and toast :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I love this thread!
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I love this thread!

Me too - after all it's all about the food :wink:
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, love this thread too!

I have quite a varied menu for dinner, too long a list to type, but I can list my staple breakfasts & lunches....

breakfast:
    - Qia - Nature's Path Oatmeal with seeds & stuff - One packet + 1/2 cup water and micro for 1:30sec, don't stir, just add either 1/2 tsp cinnamon & sugar mix, or 1tsp brown sugar and 2 Tblsp milk - so yummy & quite filling.
    - Shreddies cereal - just a 1/2 cup with 1/2 cup milk, simple
    - greek flavoured yogurt (activia) one pot = 80 cals I usually don't like 'bits' in my yogurt!
    - fruit, berries, melons, pineapple
    - banana with 1 tblsp of natural peanut butter smeared along one side then eat!
    - sometimes homemade veg soup (I keep in freezer pre-measured to 1 cup servings)

Lunch
    - could be much the same as above depending on the day
    - one dempster's THIN tortillas with dijon & deli ham with lettuce, like a taco
    - peanut butter & banana sandwich with no butter (or becel) - sometimes just one slice and eat whole with bananas on top!
    - cottage cheese (1/2 cup) with one full roma tomato & lots of fresh ground black pepper- yum & very filling!
    - soup soup soup
    - grilled asparagus with hard boiled egg sliced on top with pepper - 1/2 tsp becel to grill veg in pan
    - yogurt & fruit & nuts
    - teas
    - 1/2 bagel with avocado mushed on top

dinner -
    not vegetarian or restrict in anyway

bbq grilled chicken, pork tenderloin, beef or fish
    veggies of all kinds including cauliflower smashed & spaghetti squash
    variety of salads except no pasta salad
    splurges of chicken wings & hot sauce, bbq ribs, lasagne, etc... just watch in reason and measure my foods.

• wen910
    wen910 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the group and a 1200 cal diet. It's just been a week but I think I'm doing ok.

Breakfast:
    Special K oats and honey
    1/2 banana
    cashew milk (lowest cal milk I could find and it's yum for cereal
    or
    peanut butter on a wasa cracker

Lunch:
    tortilla wrap with hummus and nitrate free lunch meat (I'm highly allergic to preservatives) with spinach or cuke slices
    or salad or tuna made with greek yogurt
    a few pretzels for that crunch I need!
    fruit or a fiber one 90 cal bar

Dinner:
    lean meat and veg
    sometimes a little rice

snacks are usually fruit, greek yogurt, pretzels, rice cakes or 1/2 a quest bar at a time.

It's been a challenge as my husband is recovering from cancer treatment and needing to gain weight!! When we shop it seems to be "yours, mine and ours"! He's always eaten very healthy but needs the fat and calories. I'm SO happy to say he has gained back about 25 of the 35 he lost during treatment.
    MFP has helped me SO much with my calorie intake and exercise tracking!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    wen910 wrote: »
    I'm new to the group and a 1200 cal diet. It's just been a week but I think I'm doing ok.

Breakfast:
    Special K oats and honey
    1/2 banana
    cashew milk (lowest cal milk I could find and it's yum for cereal
    or
    peanut butter on a wasa cracker

Lunch:
    tortilla wrap with hummus and nitrate free lunch meat (I'm highly allergic to preservatives) with spinach or cuke slices
    or salad or tuna made with greek yogurt
    a few pretzels for that crunch I need!
    fruit or a fiber one 90 cal bar

Dinner:
    lean meat and veg
    sometimes a little rice

snacks are usually fruit, greek yogurt, pretzels, rice cakes or 1/2 a quest bar at a time.

It's been a challenge as my husband is recovering from cancer treatment and needing to gain weight!! When we shop it seems to be "yours, mine and ours"! He's always eaten very healthy but needs the fat and calories. I'm SO happy to say he has gained back about 25 of the 35 he lost during treatment.
    MFP has helped me SO much with my calorie intake and exercise tracking!!

Wow, that would be a challenge! Hope your husband is alright.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    My coworker ate raw sugar snap peas today. Kid you not !!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    My coworker ate raw sugar snap peas today. Kid you not !!!

Me too! Half a pre-packaged bag.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I guess I didn't know you could eat them raw Everyone knows but me .....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I guess I didn't know you could eat them raw Everyone knows but me .....

SUPER tasty. Very sweet.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    At the moment I'm trying to get back on track before I go on holiday mid May so it is very simple.

Breakfast - I don't eat breakfast as the longer 'fast' period is beneficial in making my body use insulin more efficiently.

Lunch - I don't have lunch on Monday or Tuesday. Wednesday to Friday it's soya yoghurt with chopped fruit and a hefty sprinkling of cinnamon.

Dinner - Monday to Friday it's a fish, tofu, egg, or bean dish with steamed vegetables. Dessert is soya yoghurt with chopped fruit and a hefty sprinkling of cinnamon.

Saturday - I visit my Mum so lunch is whatever fish or prawn dish I cook (risotto, biryani, stir fry, etc) with a dark chocolate ice cream for dessert. My evening meal is something light and currently it is soya yoghurt with chopped fruit and a hefty sprinkling of cinnamon.

Sunday - Ssshh. Anything goes!
    Lunch is usually salmon and rice or potato with veg followed by a large piece of cake. Dinner is crisps, chocolate, crumpets or any other treats I have been craving followed by another large piece of cake.

Snacks - not allowed but would be fruit, nuts, veg (carrot, swede, sugarsnap peas, cucumber) or rice cakes.
    is sousWhen I eat normal lunch it is usually something served with salad or in lettuce cups like bean and tuna mix, avocado, aubergine stew, egg curry, sardines. Anything nice I can eat at my desk.