Keto and international travel

Options
Steph0knee
Steph0knee Posts: 2 Member
Hi, Team.

I've been dominating a ketogenic way of eating for about 12 weeks now, but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed because I have a lot of upcoming travel for work and I anticipate having minimal control over menus, meal timing, etc. My travel season starts relatively stress-free with destinations like NY and DC next week, but then things get a bit more complicated with a week each in: Germany, Spain, Japan, and Norway...!

I have no idea how to navigate this situation! Beyond managing my weight loss expectations, I'm also concerned about maintaining energy levels and avoiding gastrointestinal stress--particularly considering that the most productive conversations typically happen at the pub after long, highly structured days. Does anyone have any strategies for carb restriction while traveling internationally and/or coping with unpredictable carb consumption? And is anyone familiar with some keto-friendly (or even just low-ish carb) options that I'm likely to encounter at typical pubs in these countries?

I have no idea what carbs or a deficit vs. maintenance looks like outside of the US, so any wisdom helps! I definitely do not want to repeat my recent indulgence in the Czech Republic, where apparently they hide their meat in pastries while potatoes and beer dominate their caloric intake...

Much stress and many thanks,
Steph

P.S., I've lost 38 pounds and 5 inches from my waist this year! I assume that someone has noticed, but my lifestyle is somewhat isolating and no one has given me the opportunity to brag about it yet. So there it is. Sometimes I'm kind of awesome.

Replies

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    This caught my eye because I love traveling internationally and I'm planning some upcoming trips at this very moment. I haven't done any trips while doing keto but what I would say to you is the best way to have control over what you eat is to go to a grocery store and prepare your foods. This may be hard depending on where you're staying if you don't have access to a kitchen or any way to prep your food. I backpack and stay in hostels so a kitchen is always available but if you're doing a work trip and staying in a hotel then you might not have access to a kitchen. So the other thing I would say is there are always healthy food options on a menu you just have to be disciplined enough to choose them. That is unless of course you don't mind "treating" yourself and experiencing the local gastronomy, carbs and all. After all, you know how to get back into keto if you fall out.
  • nicintime
    nicintime Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I pack emergency food, and eat what I can from what is served. Carb rich Mexico is where I've been mostly, so it CAN be done.

Costco pepperoni, blocks of parmesan, and tuna in foil packets are my go to.

It works, and you can do it!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    In Spain, there are a lot of charcuterie options - olives and fresh fish would also be a good choice.

Japan - veggies and fresh fish. Avoid the rice.

Germany - I think they have a lot of meat options - but it might be breaded. You would have to check.

Norway - not too familiar with the cuisine. Sorry!

I second the grocery store idea - going to Aldi in Germany will give you lots of cost-effective options. Carrefour in Spain is a grocery store that may have a rotiserrie section that you can get ready-cooked chickens at.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of cheese in Iceland, although I wasn't strict about keto. I could have been, very easily, but then I would have had to skip the amazing veggie buffets, and also my host's awesome cooking. I'm going to Spain in a few months.

I always do some of my own grocery shopping, so that I'm in control of some meals, at the very least. If weight loss is your main goal, counting calories might be an acceptable alternative to keeping keto. It is for me when I'm traveling.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have no good advice to give. I tried to come up with something. But Germany has these pretzels that they split open and spread butter all over, and it's the most decadent amazing breakfast ever. And the beer. And the chocolate.

I am no help. I miss Germany a lot.

One thing you will find is that many items in Germany don't have as much sugar in general as their US counterparts. Plus everyone walks everywhere, so they don't really care about how many carbs they eat.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have no good advice to give. I tried to come up with something. But Germany has these pretzels that they split open and spread butter all over, and it's the most decadent amazing breakfast ever. And the beer. And the chocolate.

I am no help. I miss Germany a lot.

One thing you will find is that many items in Germany don't have as much sugar in general as their US counterparts. Plus everyone walks everywhere, so they don't really care about how many carbs they eat.

I went to Italy, France, and Spain this past fall and ate gelato about 2 times a day (some times 3) but with all the walking I did I lost weight! OP, this is definitely not good advise to follow lol.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKwLLKXcSiI Asian travel video blog on Keto
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/lowcarbtravel.htm some ideas here

Sorry, not much out there on the web, but the video blog is pretty good if you watch several of her posts for ideas in Asia at least
  • SlimSonic
    SlimSonic Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Spain is great for the seafood, tapas is good as long as it's not the dumplings & potatoes. Germany is good for the Bratwurst & other sausage / cold meats. Happy travels.