Soft mushy foods

obehrens
obehrens Posts: 5 Member
I am looking for ideas for diet for weeks 2-8 for myself. All food during that time frame must be liquid, semi-solid, or mash able with a fork.

Can anyone give any advice or ideas?

Replies

• cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    edited April 2016
    Ugh. That period of eating gets SO OLD but it's worth it, so stick with it. My go-to foods during that time were greek yogurt (I would get plain and then use water enhancer drops of whatever flavor to choose my own adventure), mashed sweet potatoes, cottage cheese, and scrambled eggs (this was later, not at first).

That first scrambled egg you eat after surgery is the best egg EVER.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Sugar free popsicles, sugar free pudding with protein powder mixed in, Greek yogurt with protein powder mixed in and a splenda, low fat cottage cheese, tuna with olive oil mayo, and protein drinks. And yes! That scrambled egg is awesome after being on all liquids! :smiley:
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Also, go for some savory soups. Progresso makes a butternut squash curry that is dynamite. Egg drop soup is great, and if you make it yourself, you can lower the sodium count.
    In our "Let's see what you are eating" thread there are a few great recipes, also.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Google "Shelly's Baked Ricotta" from The World According to Eggface! I'm six months out and STILL make this! Oh..ma..gawd! I do alter it slightly, adding garlic and some other seasonings. I also puree meatballs and add it to the sauce. For me, her recipe makes 8 servings, so I cut it in half, or portion it and freeze it. It does freeze well. I have mini-loaf pans that I use, 1 loaf is two servings.

I also did pureed chili and refried beans A LOT. Partially because one can of chili is 42 servings! (not really, but I'm sure you get it!)

Canned chicken and tuna with a little Greek Yogurt and seasonings as a dressing is still a favorite go to.

Scrambled eggs are hit or miss for me. I've caught on that I have to do a SOFT scramble, if they are just a HAIR too hard they sit like a rock and make me nauseous. I use a mild salsa to help keep them wetter.

Good luck!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Refried beans, ricotta cheese with mashed banana, cream soups, pureed squash, and yogurt. You'll need a combination of some things you can eat warm and others you can eat cold. My stomach preferred everything at room temperature so my foods consisted of things that didn't need to be hot or cold. Enjoy the soft food stage, it's the beginning of a great journey.
  • SmokeRising
    SmokeRising Posts: 34 Member
    anbrdr wrote: »
    Also, go for some savory soups. Progresso makes a butternut squash curry that is dynamite. Egg drop soup is great, and if you make it yourself, you can lower the sodium count.
    In our "Let's see what you are eating" thread there are a few great recipes, also.
    obehrens wrote: »
    I am looking for ideas for diet for weeks 2-8 for myself. All food during that time frame must be liquid, semi-solid, or mash able with a fork.

obehrens wrote: »

• SmokeRising
    SmokeRising Posts: 34 Member
    So do you get to do puréed foods after 7 days? I am still on full liquids. They told me liquids for 1 to 2 weeks. Bummer. I am craving real food but the reality is I can barely sip the protein shakes.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Every surgical guideline is different. Mine was:

2 days post op = clears
    next 14 days = full liquid
    next 14 days = pureed foods
    next 14 days = mechanically separated food
    44 days p-o = regular eating
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    Finally on the pureed food my self. To get through the liquids: lifeway Kefir yogurt and all the savory soups I could find (my sis-in-law was a life saver - she made home made soups then strained them for me so I had flavor). In the pureed phase now - eating refried beans, tuna with mayo, and baked sweet potatoe that's mashed really well. I'm also soft boiling my eggs then mashing and blending them with very smooth guacamole. I can have chili with beans as long as the beans are really soft and the meat in the chili is small (or shredded). Also I have had good luck with steaming veggies really really well then mashing them.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    My surgeon took FOREVER to progress. Our regimen was:
    2 days post-op = clear liquid
    4 weeks = full liquid
    2 weeks = pureed
    2 weeks = mechanical soft
    regular food after that as tolerated.

They originally did 2 weeks full liquids but found that when they switched to 4, they stopped having to do the majority of any repairs to leaks because people's stomach's had progressed too quickly. It was freakin' torture, though. I got SO SICK of full liquids, especially not being able to tolerate any protein drinks.