Tim Noakes on LCHF

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
Probably the most no-nonsense FAQ on LCHF I've seen:
http://foodmed.net/2016/04/18/noakes-the-idiots-guide-to-lchf-and-banting/

For those who don't know him, he's a well-regarded scientist in South Africa. "Banting" is what some call LCHF in the UK and her former colonies.

Is LCHF a diet?

No, it’s a lifestyle.

Replies

• redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    "Moderation is a smug, puritanical word."
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Excellent read; thank you!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »

But I'll bet even the most zealous moderationist among those nasty Puritans didn't advocate moderation in chastity, fidelity, or wine consumption. :/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    redimock wrote: »

But I'll bet even the most zealous moderationist among those nasty Puritans didn't advocate moderation in chastity, fidelity, or wine consumption. :/

Ha! Good point!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    bump keeping this near the top
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    "For those with abnormal appestat function not corrected by carbohydrate restriction, it may be necessary initially not to eat too much fat and to focus more on increasing protein intake and eating less frequently by practising some degree of intermittent fasting."

....that pretty much sums up what I have to do to lose weight.

Very interesting read. Also it shines through there's a big potential for customizing and optimizing for the individual.

Experiment and never give up :)

Ty for the share!
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Years of low fat, low calorie diets caused me to gain about 8 pounds when I first went on LCHF. I had to get below 30 carbs before I stopped gaining. It was the fat intake that was putting on the weight.

I didn't know when I was full and I would keep eating. After 44 days, I learned what not hungry and full really meant and felt like.

I have to say I was fasting (eating one meal a day) during the beginning of my LCHF and I still gained weight. I think I had to push through the weight gain and learn what it felt like to be full and not hungry. I think if I had cut out the fat or kept fasting into my 3rd week of LCHF I would have taken even longer to learn what it meant to be full. Because fasting would reduce my learning experiences. Eating only one meal a day gives me only once a day what it feels like to be full. Eating 3 meals a day gave me 3 opportunities to find out about my satiation levels.

Now I'm losing about a pound every 3 days and might go back to one meal a day but only if I'm NOT Hungry.
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Great post... also, Noakes said one of his favorite snacks is coconut chips. Has anyone here made those? Sound great as a way to add more fats and fiber to diet.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Indeed. They're also my favorite snack (and now I have to fight my wife for them since she went LC).

Toasted-Coconut-Flakes.jpg
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    On the toasting front, seaweed nori (stuff sushi is wrapped in) toasted in olive oil and salt is a snack that I bought last week. Managed to recreate it at home. Quick and the crunchy texture is nice. Recommend it for those looking for a low sugar snack and salty crunch.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Loved the article! Everyone needs to read it! Thanks for posting!
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I agree, this article was excellent! Thanks for posting it!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    On the toasting front, seaweed nori (stuff sushi is wrapped in) toasted in olive oil and salt is a snack that I bought last week. Managed to recreate it at home. Quick and the crunchy texture is nice. Recommend it for those looking for a low sugar snack and salty crunch.

Great tip! ty for sharing. I usually buy the already roasted ones, but don't trust the oil use.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

Great tip! ty for sharing. I usually buy the already roasted ones, but don't trust the oil use.

Not trusting the oil used is why buy the bulk RAW nuts at Kroger now.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

That's interesting! Does it pretty much just taste like whatever you put on it? Is the flavor "green" like a plant or pretty nuetral?
  • kmn118
    kmn118 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Indeed. They're also my favorite snack (and now I have to fight my wife for them since she went LC).

Toasted-Coconut-Flakes.jpg

I have never opened a coconut before, but youtube has a bunch of how-to videos... on my list for tomorrow's shopping!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

I buy it in little trays at the Shopper's Drug Mart snacks section (comes in a 3 pack for 1.49) - we have a ton of Japanese visitors here on tours in the summer so there is an abundance of 'weird' snackfoods here. They are my go-to when I feel like salty greasy chips, Paldo is my brand favorite. Awesome macros too.
    http://www.paldofood.com/User/Product/kim01_01.aspx

@Sunny_Bunny_ it's a bit sea flavoured - what some might call fishy, but then its lovely crispy texture becomes a bit chewy and is nice and salty! Doesn't taste like plants, tastes like sea air, lol.