levo to synthorid

Options
Hello!

Has anyone made the switch from levothyroixine to synthorid and felt like utter crap?
My new endo recently made the switch (even though I have tried it before)....I am an exhausted hot sweaty mess.....is this common? Should I wait it out or go back to levo?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about your predicament. Do you have the paper which comes with both the medications? If you do, I suggest you look at the ingredients first and see if one has something in it which you know your body does not like, is intolerant of or similar, then see if there is a difference in ingredients because were there something different in the synthorid it could be that which causes your issues. After this take a look at the "contra indications", there can be common reactions which may echo those you have. Its so very difficult when one has to go through the motions with these people who think they know it all. Some medications simply don't suit everyone. You probably need to provide evidence. I wish you more success than I had, (uk), been told the only treatment for hashi here is levo, nothing for anyone who can't take milk or corn.(me) Problems with the fillers, binders and preservatives are not necessarily uncommon, we are just not supposed to have them.

All the best with your decision.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Hello ButterflyBites,

I'm sorry that the switch to levo to Synthroid has left you feeling so poorly. My primary care physician put me on levo last July and when still wasn't feeling well she sent me to an endocrinologist. The endo switched me to Synthroid. The endo's concern was lack of standardization in levo that could be coming from different suppliers. However, my pharmacy said they rarely got it from different suppliers and always advised customers if the med came from a new supplier. They also advised me how I could tell the difference. That said, because the endo wanted the switch, I switched. I did not observe any difference in how I felt between the two drugs. I still don't feel great but my thyroid is failing. I've been warned by my endo that I'll be on a roller coaster for a few years before it finally gives out. At that time, dosage can be stabilized. As Fuzzipeg notes, perhaps it's an ingredient in the levo that is causing you a problem. Alternately, might you be dealing with changes in your thyroid function that could be causing or contributing to you feeling so poorly?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I experienced this going from Brand to generic and moved back to Brand (Synthroid). Levothyroxine is incredibly sensitive and difficult to manufacture within potency range. What happened to your thyroid panel testing when you did the switch. It almost sounds as if you are shifting to a hyper or Thyroid Storm state. Talk to your doc as soon as possible about this.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks CSAR, that info on levothyroxine manufacturing is interesting. Goes for the liquid version too? assumed.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The liquid is much easier to manufacture surprisingly. The pill form uses such a small amount of the active pharmaceutical ingredient that you often end up with varying potency when transferring from the batch creation to pill formation.

Both branded and generic operate under that same rules and regulations; however the branded manufacturer typically holds greater experience in the process (also developing the drug), hence the higher price.

All companies should have a medical information department and be able to help understand what may be triggering your adverse event. Note they cannot treat or diagnose, but may be able to work with your health care provider in understanding what may be going on.
  • ButterflyBites
    ButterflyBites Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding (I thought I replied already).....After I wrote this and talked to my dr. things got a little better on their own but we still changed the dose....slowly but surely I am getting there :)

I have to be honest that the price is a tough pill to swallow on it's own.....but if it works I'm willing to pay!
  • thatredheadedBAMF
    thatredheadedBAMF Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You also might want to try Levoxyl, which is a name brand like Synthroid but has a lot fewer fillers. I was switched from Levoxyl during a recall in 2013 and placed on the same dose of Synthroid, subsequently becoming hypo after being stable for many years. Synthroid has acacia and lactose in it and my body did not like that.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding (I thought I replied already).....After I wrote this and talked to my dr. things got a little better on their own but we still changed the dose....slowly but surely I am getting there :)

I have to be honest that the price is a tough pill to swallow on it's own.....but if it works I'm willing to pay!

The company that makes Synthroid has a program to make it affordable. My insurance covers most of the cost but my doctor had advised that it my co-pay was over $25.00 she could get me a discount on the cost. If I recall correctly, I think she said the company issues coupons. So ask ask your doctor and/or check the company's website, which may information about discounted Synthroid.