Did you keep this process, and surgery a secret?

Options
2»

Replies

• KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I only told 3 people outside of family. When I got back to work 3 weeks after surgery, I found out that my coworker was blabbing and then since another accidentally told a couple people. So basically I think everyone at my work knows, but nobody will say anything to my face about the weight I've lost. My husband had told one of his clients and I was like why? Why did he care?! OMG. Oh well.
  • obehrens
    obehrens Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on 04/11/16. I have chosen to stay fairly quiet about the surgery itself. Only a couple people in my family know, because some tend to be very judgemental and I don't want to listen to their mouths. I have been more open with friends, but disclosure has been only to those I feel I can trust and will be supportive.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I want to thank those that are open and have helped to end some negotivity that follows WLS. I personally didn't want to be the spokesperson for it so I've been very private about it. I did tell my immediate family and they have been supportive. I will say that I'm generally annoyed with their 20 questions about what I can eat and how am I doing it. I'm 100% doing this for myself and don't feel the need to answer to anyone else. It's hard work and takes a lot of focus so this works for me. Good luck to you. It's life changing and I'm so glad I did it.
  • nakeddog
    nakeddog Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely glad I am not alone, I want to be open about but at the same time I want to private., and keep it quiet...kinda feels opposite...so I really appreciate the comments. I am taking the advice of one person at a time, if I feel comfortable I will share, otherwise, exercise and healthy choices...which is not a lie., just not the whole truth. :) I was worried about the 20 questions part too...which is a big part of keeping it to myself until I actually have the answers.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    At 5 1/2 months out I decided to "out" myself. I posted a very frank message on FB that any negativity would mean being "blocked" permanently from my life. I've had no negativity. lol

I've had few questions, a few friends tell me they had the surgery themselves, I had no clue! I've had other friends message me to tell me how proud they are of how I've taken control of my life. Lots of positivity and support.

All I can say is we all have to "come out" in our own time and own way. I don't regret my initial secret and I don't regret my decision to tell everyone.

Good luck to all!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am one of those who only told my close family and a few friends. If someone asks me how I lost weight I am honest and tell them I exercise more and eat a high protein low carb diet. Most people just ask and don't really want more info. I follow the same rule I did when my kids were little and asked sex questions. Be honest but only give the info they need at that moment. lol
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    What's super hard is I recently took the pic I'm using as my profile pic here. I posted on Facebook and had 3 people private message me wondering what my weight loss secret was. They weren't close friends so I said diet and exercise. I just don't want to share with everyone yet. Maybe some day but not now.
  • pretty_blue_eyes85
    pretty_blue_eyes85 Posts: 53 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I kept it a secret for a little while.. I actually told my co-workers that I was having gallbladder surgery. Unfortunately my aunt (who works in the same company, a few cubicles down) didn't support my decision because I won't get as skinny as I want to be because I'm "Big boned" (stupid!!) and I will have loose, flabby skin. Come to find out when one of my co-workers went to ask her how I was doing she messaged me and said she wasn't going to lie for me so I was very open about it after. I talked to my boss and come to find out she had it done 2 years ago so she had been super supportive. I did post this on facebook yesterday::::

"My thoughts for today, it's a long one //
    As many of you know I had the gastric sleeve surgery (aka VSG) on March 9th. If you don't know what that is, I will explain now (I'll be Google for a second):
    Sleeve gastrectomy is a surgical weight-loss procedure in which the stomach is reduced to about 15% of its original size, by surgical removal of a large portion of the stomach along the greater curvature. The result is a sleeve or tube like structure.

Basically, I have a banana sized stomach that can only hold 3-4oz of food at a time.

Eating sucks most of the time. But the whole reason was to give the rest of my weight loss journey a boost. Some may agree to disagree on my decision and I understand that. It is what it is.

I have heard it all.
    "What? You don't look like you need the surgery. Eat right. Lift heavy."
    "You'll have loose & flabby skin, are you prepared for that?"
    - yes I am.

I have lost 62lbs on my own within 4 years. During that time I have lost my lover and best friend and gained 20 and lost 20 again and had been stuck for over a year.

Within the last 6 weeks I have learned who has supported my decision & who disliked it. But in the long run, I chose this route for ME, MYSELF & I. My health is #1 and my girls need me.

With this "tool", I've gained confidence and continue losing the weight I've been struggling with (that I don't expect to come back ever again). I'm so close to one of my first goals and it's exciting.

I'm so thankful for all who have supported & listened to the struggle I have been through and still going through.
    Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday. ❤"
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Great post. I was full open Kimono with everyone - family, friends, work, Facebook. I'm also an extrovert with a typically male over developed sense of self confidence. But the response has been overwhelmingly positive; people are genuinely happy for me, and were worried about my health. Making myself accessible has given people permission to talk with me about my journey. Very few haters, none that matter. As I enter maintenance, I'm also relying on it as additional accountability - to motivate me to stay on plan.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I was also quite open at work. I have two family members who had been through the surgery, so family was not an issue. My co-workers were very supportive, except for one, and he was mostly concerned about the general risks of surgery when I had already lost so much pre-surgery.

Now, two years after starting my weight loss journey, it is much less of a topic of discussion, and it is always interesting as I meet people who never knew the big me and they see pictures in my cubicle!

Rob