Night time cravings

Options
krissymae88
krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
I'm about 6 weeks out from RNY and although my physical behaviors are so drastically different than before, I am obviously still working on those mental habits. The worst for me is wanting to eat too much at night. I'm having a hard time fighting the strong urges to snack after about 7 or 8pm.

I was wondering if anyone else struggles with this and what kind of strategies you use to keep on track.

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Maybe do half of a protein shake (or a full one) if you need the extra macro. I think a little bit of protein shake powder mixed in to some plain greek (or even better Icelandic) yogurt, is an awesome treat. Tastes like cheesecake. For salty-crunchy, sometimes I go with a handful of dried edamame, chickpeas, or even a few pork rinds.

OR, I'll drink a big glass of water and go to bed.
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The night cravings are hard --- I can find that I do well all day and then bam! The only things that work for me are to either save some calories and have a small protein drink or protein loaded option like Greek yogurt with a scoop of protein powder mixed in --- or go to bed early.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters you should save some calories for night. You can also try having a snack between lunch and diner and pushing your diner back until 7 or 7:30. I'm a year out and I can tell you that night time snacking stays in place. I usually have a few almonds or hot tea nearly every night.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I struggle too so I get what you're saying.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I still resort to sugar free popsicles when I feel like I want something at night, or I drink some almond milk over ice with a little sugar free coffee syrup.
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    also it depends on your routine, maybe you need that nighttime snack. For example, I'm awake late, and I don't go to bed until 11PM - 12 AM. Both my nutritionist and I agree that expecting me to not eat something from supper time (6 PM) onward, over the next 5-6 hours, is unreasonable. So I eat a snack around 9 PM every night, I just build it into my plan. There's nothing wrong with eating something later at night as long as it's not junk. (That's the hard part!) :-)
  • krissymae88
    krissymae88 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I've got some good ideas of how to fit it into my calories and some awesome options to choose from when I get that craving.

And it's nice to know I'm not alone in this struggle!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I like to drink some decaf coffee with creamer when I get the nighttime munchies. It's hot, soothing and a bit filling. I'm a coffee junkie, though. Still have my daily cup every morning.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Not a bad idea. I've noticed that coffee can postpone my midmorning munchies; even my breakfast if I'm in a fasting mood.
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    You got some great ideas here! I also have to fight that nighttime urge to eat. I worked 3rd shift for so many years that I am a late night person. I know before this process most of my calories were consumed after 6pm. I had to work very hard to get over the night time eating. When I get the urge I usually go for a decaf cup of coffee or tea. Sometimes just sipping on water gets me by it. I also try to find something to do to keep my hands busy. I know its weird but if I take the time to paint my nails by the time they dry I am past the craving.