Two Years!

rpyle111
rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
Two years ago today, I first logged on to MFP. I weighed 420 pounds and had just been to the orientation session at my Bariatric Surgery program. The last two years have been quite eventful! I the nearly six months between my orientation and my surgery, I hit the pre-surgery plan hard, losing 100 pounds through a simple set of rules: 1500 calories per day, 100g protein, 64 ounces of water, log everything and start exercising. I was ready to make the changes I needed to make, my wife and kids were supportive and the kids were old enough that I could make the ‘me’ time necessary to make it happen.

When I hit my surgery date (September 30, 2014), I was in pretty good fitness (still with 80ish pounds to lose) and I truly believe that my fitness level helped me to handle the surgery and recovery pretty well. The immediate pre-surgery liquid diet and the first couple of weeks post-surgery were pretty tough, but within a month or so it was mostly a memory. Right now, I can’t really remember it as especially bad. The day after surgery, I was up and around and got 11k steps in the recovery ward. For all of you heading toward surgery, my main advice is to hit he pre-surgery plan as hard as you possibly can, as every pound you lose is one you won’t have to lose during the honeymoon period, and any level of physical fitness you can bring with you into the surgery will help you in the immediate post surgery time.

After surgery, I had 4 weeks off of work. I may have been able to head back earlier, but the first few weeks were a time of very low energy for me. I was pretty active in the mornings, but had a nap most afternoons. It also gave me plenty of time to adjust to the new eating pattern and limitations. At my first checkup with the surgeon at three weeks post surgery, I was given the OK to add soft foods, skipping the puree stage. That first scrambled egg was glorious!! I still worked in some pureed food, but the move to mushy foods was great! After that, it was a really good 6 months of steady loss, getting back into exercising regularly and I hit my weight loss goal of 180 pounds down right about this time last year. In hindsight, that may have been the easy year!

I knew that moving into maintenance was going to be a difficult transition, but I have likely misjudged just how difficult. As a still pretty big guy (6’5” 240), I worked to increase my calories to around 1500-1700 calories. I took a bit of a ‘vacation’ from logging, hoping to be able to slide into an eating routine that would be sustainable and successful. From April through September, I stayed within my +/-5 pounds of goal target range. As the winter hit, though, exercise decreased and food choices slipped a bit more than they should have. I sit here today 12 pounds over my goal range and I need to get back in the saddle.

Some random thoughts that highlight some of the things I need to improve on: I had a breakfast of deli turkey this morning and was reminded how well denser protein gives me the ‘full’ signal. Alcohol and late night snacking go together way too well. Slider foods are double whammies, as they tend to be calorie dense and do very little to trigger the full feeling. In short, get back to the eating rules I started with 730 days ago: 1500 (1700-1900 now) calories, 100 (130) g protein, 64+ ounces of water and exercise regularly.

Now for the best part of this setback (Thaeda, are you still out there???): I still love myself and have not been beating myself up too much. In the past, I would have categorized myself as failing and would likely be in a full-blown self-hating bingefest. Today, I am self-aware enough that I am not deluding myself that this is just a winter thing, or normal fluctuation. I have changed my eating and exercise habits (in negative ways) and it needs to be corrected, but it doesn’t mean anything about my worth as a person or my ability to do it. I know where I need to be, I know that I can do it, and it is time to change in a positive way in the same way I changed in the negative way. I hope and trust that I will make the necessary changes.

So, for all of you out there succeeding, struggling, working at the program . . . there will be successes and setbacks, but none of that means anything fundamental about you. Keep at it, adjust what needs to be adjusted, and enjoy wherever you are. Don’t let your weight, or the distance to your personal goals keep you from enjoying what you have accomplished!

Rob

My previous milestone postings (more details of the pre and immediate post surgery stages):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10123987/six-month-ramblings/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1466332/robs-adventures-in-surgery#latest

08mdl908dmba.jpg

r23e9r42gavv.jpg

Replies

• anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    I've said it many times before; You Rock! Such an awesome amount of dedication, and hard work! I love that you own up to the setbacks, but you do not let them own you. You are a great inspiration to this community!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    You have done super well and deserve to be proud- 12 lbs extra or not. I know you can get back to your goal weight because you have the knowledge you need to do so. I love that you can acknowledge the weight gain without the panic or self-hate talk in your head that so many of us might have experienced in the past. That is a double-win!
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    So proud to call you my friend here. I am in exactly the same boat my friend. Keeping it positive and waking up every day working at "doing it" better than yesterday. You continue to inspire me in case you didn't know. Thank you.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Fairly new here, and wow, your story is awesome! Great inspiration for those of us just out of the gates! Thanks for sharing, you look amazing!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Congrats, Rob! I remember you from day one and I am so glad I have been able to see you change into the person you were meant to be! I thank you for always being so open and sharing your journey with us. I am so happy for you!!
  • Tawnykakers1
    Tawnykakers1 Posts: 207 Member
    Congrats! The honesty in your post is refreshing. I am only a few month out from surgery and know its not gonna be a smooth trip. Its great people, wisdom, and experience from this group that helps me push forward. Thanks!
  • bcedl1982
    bcedl1982 Posts: 140 Member
    What a great story and what an amazing transformation! Your positive attitude serves you well and is contagious. Thank you for sharing all of it with us!
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Rob - as always, thank you for your post, your willingness to share and your wisdom.
    Craig
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Always love your posts. So much experience and truth to draw from. Thank you for sharing with us!
  • anubile1967
    anubile1967 Posts: 28 Member
    Thank you for sharing! I will be 6 months post-op next week and still trying to navigate through the good, bad and ugly. Your story gives me hope! :)