Fasting Qs

Options
Donwilks
Donwilks Posts: 34 Member
Hi Everyone. I have two questions that I would be grateful for your advice/comments on.

I find that I can quite easily fast every day whilst I'm at work (as long as the biscuit tin remains empty and I don't head down to the catering department). I work four days a week. I guess I might not completely count 500 calories in the evening on all four days. Do you think this would be ok to keep doing? Would it be more beneficial?

Also, I keep having the mantra in my head - 'you must eat breakfast to start your metabolism', which is what all the other 'diet' methods preach. Are they wrong? xx

Replies

• flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hi Don, the number of days one chooses to fast is, in my opinion, a personal one and how one tolerates it. For me, there are some weeks when I can tolerate more than 2 days, but in general, I stick to only 2. Personally, I think when one does more than that, it starts to become a head game. You may start to rationalize that you can eat more on the NFD and justify it because you've fasted for 4. You could completely derail your efforts. Just something to consider. Like medicine, I think there is a tendency to think "well if 2 is good, more must be better", but I'm not sure that's the case with fasting. My approach to all of this is moderation. I get into trouble when I do anything to extreme.

As far as your breakfast question, our metabolism is always on. Breakfast doesn't jumpstart it. When people say this, they are referring to the after effect of eating, which, depending on what you eat, increases resting metabolism a bit because of digestion. The "rule" about eating breakfast had been debunked. It doesn't appear to make a difference. So if you like it and are hungry, go for it. If not, don't worry about it. I'm not one who likes to eat first thing. If I eat breakfast, I typically do around 9 or 10. Otherwise I wait and eat an earlier lunch.

Hope this helps!
  • Donwilks
    Donwilks Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This does help, thank you. Especially the breakfast thing as I can easily go without. Thanks for the advice re number of fast days. I will bear the traps in mind. Xx
  • scruffy1961
    scruffy1961 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    listen to your body, fast if you can but dont push too far. there are plenty of ways to fast and still avoid hunger pangs (i dont keep it under 500 cal on fasting days, i go for 0 ) I find fasting a much better way of toning my body then losing weight, it helps but i can loose weights on those days where I eat my full allotment of cals. But fasting shifts my shape quickly. When i started I went for 72 hours fasting as a cleanse and now regularly fast 24 hours a couple of times a week and 48 atleast once a week. but that is for me and not for you, please be aware of how you feel, if you start feeling ill, light headed etc, then please consider stopping the fast.
    have you seen the doc eat fast and live longer, i think most fasters have. It hit a chord with me and seems to make sense.
    as flossy says, please avoid rebounding on eating days, eat more but still be selective and pick what you eat. I HATE BREAKING MY FAST AND NOT ENJOYING THE FOOD.
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Agreed Scruffy! Since trying the fasting lifestyle, I find myself wanting to only eat good quality food that I enjoy. :smiley:
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Mimi Spencer, who co-wrote The Fast Diet with Dr. Mosely, had a recipe in a previous book (100 Things to Do Before You Diet) for a salad she called Sex in a Bowl: Seeds from a pomegranate, juice from an orange, one small fennel bulb thinly sliced, a handful of chopped fresh mint leaves, and chopped almonds. This is good quality, enjoyable - no, fabulous - food!