Gym... wish me luck!

Options
KetoGirl83
KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
I've just enrolled in a gym. First time in twenty years, I'll start tomorrow.

Since I started LCHF I've lost 43kg/95lbs and am now 100kg/220lbs. But for the past month my weight has been going up and down 2lbs at a time and it refuses to go below 100kg. At the same time I find myself craving movement so it seems my body is demanding a new step in my journey to health.

I'm actually equal parts excited and nervous that I have the energy to even start thinking of going to a gym. It is a small gym but has a good reputation and is 10 minutes walk from my home. I intend to do some weights and maybe pilates. We'll see.

Any recommendations for someone awfully out of shape?

::flowerforyou::

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Start slow, stretch often, and rotate muscle groups. Fully stretch after and massage magnesium oil into your skin or soak in a bath of epsom salts. Also, foam rollers hurt so good - feels better after....

I'm about to have to resort to something like this...
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Start slow. Whether it is walking on the treadmill or lifting weights, it is better to start slow and make progress than going too hard, too fast and then injuring yourself.

You said you intend to do some weights. That's awesome! Maybe look up some beginner exercises on Youtube that can be done with weights and mimic what you see in the videos?

Don't put too much stress on your body at the beginning - it already has to get used to moving more if you haven't done anything like this before or in a very long time.

If you keep at it and are getting the endorphins from exercise, I am sure you will be really happy with the results!
  • Jan93L
    Jan93L Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    In addition to starting slow, don't push to exercise too long at a time. Shorter sessions to begin with, more often if you can. If they offer a trainer for a few sessions , use them! It's well worth it! Don't be embarrassed to ask questions of anyone there. Even if they look really fit they may have started with the same journey you have. Good form is always better than speed.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I'm definitely starting slow... wouldn't be able to do it any other way, lol.

:flowerforyou::
  • UMDavies
    UMDavies Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I would say don't be afraid to be a beginner - do the exercise at the intensity that is right for you, never mind what anyone else is doing. There are a lot of bodybuilders at my gym who lift incredible amounts, and sometimes when I'm there with my lower weights I feel a bit out of place! But everyone has to start somewhere :) And don't be afraid to ask people how to use the machines if you're not sure - staff or other friendly-looking gym people are normally very helpful.

And always remember to streeeeeeeeettttccccchhhh :lol:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice because I pay for a gym membership I don't use. :( ugh!
    As someone that constantly fails at it, I know consistency is key.

Best of luck to you!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    If you decide the gym isn't for you, try something else! Yoga, Pilates... Good luck!
  • Lillith32
    Lillith32 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Compound exercises with free weights, start slow, don't be afraid to go heavy. Strength training is so good for our bones and nerves, we all need to do it, especially us ladies! If you're on Reddit, you can stop by r/fitness and see if anyone recommends a good beginner program. Also, look at mobility workouts (YouTube is a GREAT resource). Don't be afraid to ask for advice and don't let the gym intimidate you. Enjoy!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    If you decide the gym isn't for you, try something else! Yoga, Pilates... Good luck!

I haven't set foot in a gym in about 17 years. I do my stuff at home. I started off with an adjustable set of dumbells for $70 ranging from 2.5-12.5 lb. YouTube and fitnessblender have so many workouts to use for free for yoga, pilates, bodyweight, dumbbells, walk-at-home...just about everything.
  • Adi4Fitness
    Adi4Fitness Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    walking 10 minutes to the gym will be decent cardio. Like the best advice above , i concur that compound exercises with free weights are the best for overall fitness. Limit your strength training to 30 minutes go hard with little rest, the goal is not endurance or tiring yourself out but to work your muscles a bit.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Did you go yet? How was it?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Woohoo!!!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    You ROCK @KetoGirl83!!
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    Second day. What a wonderful way to start a day! I'm ridiculously weak, I struggle with even very low weights and all the time my body is screaming "thank you!".

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, but doing forget the sodium too! Water will help flush the toxins being released from the sore muscles, but will flush sodium too! I would add sodium however you normally do it! Kudos for you!!
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    @KetoGirl83 - Happy Monday. Your trainer will be at the gym today. Whoot. You going? The biggest hurdle is getting there. Did you sign up for multiple training sessions? I found that was helpful for me to commit to getting there and getting in a routine. Yea, go low and go slow at first. I have to unplug the weights on the universals and replug at the lowest weights, especially my upper body, arms. For some reason, I'm a master at the leg press, maybe all that biking when I was younger. Is there a sauna at your gym? Dry heated sauna was my favorite after a shower. I'm going tonight. Can't wait.
  • KetoGirl83
    Options
    @slimzandra thank you. Mondays are hectic for me, I plan to go tuesday to saturday and rest sundays (family) and mondays (just no time). I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I'm with you on the weights, I'm also stronger (maybe less weak is a better description) on my lower body, probably the result of carrying all that extra weight for years. My arms are ridiculously weak and still ridiculously sore after last session.

They offer the trainer for the first 5 sessions, until we develop a routine. He's around early mornings when I go so I can always ask for help if I get lost or want to change exercises. I may sign in for some personal sessions later on but for now I don't think I'll need it.

No sauna, it's a small gym. But they have a sports therapist that is supposed to give really good massages, I'm going to try it to see if it helps with the soreness.

• bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your enrollment! That's the biggest step, and then actually going. Just realize that it is going to take some time to get into shape. If you are going to do cardio for example, start with just walking or lightly cycling. Push yourself harder to see what your limits are but don't feel bad if it's not much more than minimal effort. After a few weeks, increase the difficulty (speed, resistance/include, duration, etc). Just remember to keep pushing yourself to the point where you know you coullllllld keep going without it absolutely killing you but you just don't really want to. Push yourself past that point and keep going for just a little bit longer. Over time, that point will be higher and higher and you'll realize you are no longer walking but jogging, no longer jogging but running, etc. Also try not to pay attention to other people in the gym unless you are like me and you turn it into a competition in your mind! lol