Do You Like Fatty Beef?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
I resurrected and old friend of mine. I haven't eaten this for years and years. I remember I quit eating it because it was so fat. And fat was a demon to me back then.

If you've followed my recipes, you notice that I tend to make simple meals. Well, check this out. Two ingredients, but WOW is the best way to describe the taste! :D

Look at this:

xmcgj8dcku0b.jpg

Is that enough fat for you? Did you guess what it is? Yup, Corned Beef.... This is from Sam's Club. I think it was around $4.00 @ lbs (or maybe a little less). It had the seasoning pack also.

I cooked for 6 hours in my Crock Pot. And what do we always add to Corned beef? Yup, you guessed it, Cabbage!

4iz0kqk8v5ed.jpg

And ya know what is nice about boiling the meat? Some of the fat renders and leaves a layer of oil on top. So as soon as you finish the meat, take it out and put some chopped cabbage in the water/oil and cook until tender. Then after its done, when you scoop out the cabbage, it automatically recovers some of that good fat!!!! It makes the cabbage taste so good!

I just had this for lunch, it was sooooooooo good! :D

I hope you enjoy it!

Dan the Man from Michigan
My Blog: It's Ketogenic or Bariatric (How I found the Ketogenic Diet)
Keto Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used in LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
My Past Discussions (lots of easy Keto recipes and other useful Keto info)

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We LOVE corned beef!! We bought a few corned beef points from aldi the other day for really cheap, about $1.99lb. Had one last night, in the crockpot and OMG was it good!! We also had cabbage but we pan fried it in butter, but we often would use the juices from the corned beef to boil the cabbage in, that's pretty good also.

We are going back to get a few more corned beef points before St Patricks day when it is hard to find them again. Great I can eat what I love again!

Altho, skipping the cheesy polenta was rough but it will get easier in time I hope.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, i don't know much about corned beef, what is different about it comparing to regular ribeye or any other meat?? That cabbage look amazing :)
  • DittoDan
    edited March 2015
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    Hmmm, i don't know much about corned beef, what is different about it comparing to regular ribeye or any other meat?? That cabbage look amazing :)

Corned beef is in league/taste all of its own. I think "corned" is a pickling method, but not sure. Then you add the seasoning pack and it is different from other meats like ribeye, steaks, prime rib, etc. It even has a completely different texture. You don't need a knife to cut it and the fat melts in your mouth.

If you haven't had it before, its definetely worth trying.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I think i had corned beef is some form, maybe from the deli, i didn't care for the taste so i've never gave it another try. I'll have to ask my fam if they like it and maybe i'll make this dish! :)
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have one in the fridge, will crockpot it sometime this week. Probably should pick up another while they are on sale for St. Patrick's Day.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    I think i had corned beef is some form, maybe from the deli, i didn't care for the taste so i've never gave it another try. I'll have to ask my fam if they like it and maybe i'll make this dish! :)

Yeah, "deli corned beef" is nothing like what I cooked.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

Yeah, "deli corned beef" is nothing like what I cooked.

I agree, deli corned beef isn't as good. I do like pastrami a bit better, but it is really hard to find the old school fatty pastrami any more. It is all so lean now.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    bump
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I love buying the corned beef brisket and cooking up a couple heads of cabbage with it. No one else at my house likes it so I will have it for lunch daily 2 weeks in a row lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, I bought 2 briskets when they were on special before St. Patty's. I ate one last month, but haven't had the 2nd yet. It's in the freezer. I don't know if it is the salt or if there is vinegar, but I can only have so much pickled meat at a time without feeling sick.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Wikipedia to the rescue! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef

That said, ick. I am not a fan of corned beef, even if that first pic does look tasty. Glad you liked it, though. :D
  • 60to35
    60to35 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    We raise beef- ANY beef is good beef :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Most corned beef in the store is soaked in bromelain which kinda skeeves me out since it seems like more chemistry than is needed. Ya I get that it's derived from pineapples, but HFCS is derived from corn and we see how good that is.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I've made corned beef before but that looks good!
    I've had a lot of 73/27 ground beef lately and I love that.
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    We pickled or "corned" our own beef brisket last St Patty's day. It was really very good but it took 2 weeks. I remember my grandmother doing it when I was a child.